Upgrading Praets

Stewie0416

Who Cares?
The Roman UU is the Praetorian. Since its strength is the same with Macemen, the only thing that is different about them is the 50% melee units. But is it really worth upgrading them?

No. I sometimes still build CR Praetorians when Maceman are avaiable, as they are cheaper and they will mostly fight archers in the enemy cities. But i always build some combat1+shock maces for stack defense.

I don't upgrade them. I like to spam a lot of praets with CR and then mass upgrade them to rifles after 100% :gold: for a few turns.

I don't bother upgrading them and usually beeline to rifles not too long after I can build maces anyway, so I only use 1 per stack until then.

By the time Macemen appear, you'll have crossbows to protect your Praetorians. And when attacking cities defended by macemen, you don't care losing some praetorians since they are very cheap compared to macemen.

I don't upgrade them. I like to spam a lot of praets with CR and then mass upgrade them to rifles after 100% for a few turns.
Me too, although the last time I was the Romans, I ended up isolated. Damn shame not being able to use that Great UU.

Upgrading CR promoted Prats to maces really makes little sense if you are attacking cities defended by Longbows which is usually the case. I will build maces if both are open to me but rarely promote Prats to maces.

Using Shock/Combat on a few Prats early is quite common in my games if up against Axes, so wasting money on upgrading them to Maces is a little pointless. Once the Prats come up against Maces I have a few Combat III/IV/Shock troops ready to counter them. Another drawback in upgrading Prats to Maces before Rifles is that it'll take longer to promote them again with the loss of exp. due to upgrading too early.

Upgrading CR promoted Prats to maces really makes little sense if you are attacking cities defended by Longbows which is usually the case. I will build maces if both are open to me but rarely promote Prats to maces.

Agree with the first part, but why build macemen. They cost 70h compared to 45h for praets. 2 maces costs slightly more than 2 praets. I just build praets and upgrade a few (1 or 2) to maces.

Top Bottom