Using Your Spies

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by brewgod, Oct 29, 2013.

  1. brewgod

    brewgod Prince

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2006
    Messages:
    348
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Jet City
    Hello Fellow Die Hard Civ V Fans;

    If you are the tech leader in the game and you have 1-4 spies but there is no new tech to steal then what purpose can you use your spies. Is the only main use then to rig city state elections?

    Playing Gods and Kings.

    Any advice would be great.

    Thanks

    Brew God
     
  2. redwings1340

    redwings1340 Emperor

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1,408
    Location:
    Maryland
    If other civs are stealing from you, you can put your spies in your own cities and get level ups when they catch the enemy spies. This will make them more efficient in the future. Otherwise, yeah, they are best used on city states in this case, but that's not a terrible thing. City states are pretty amazing, and rigging them and planting coups can definitely work in your favor.
     
  3. Browd

    Browd Dilettante Administrator

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2012
    Messages:
    11,936
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Rural Vermont
    Defensive spy in your cpaital -- when that spy gets leveled up, shift them to a CS to rig elections. Rinse and repeat.
     
  4. HeraldtheGreat

    HeraldtheGreat King

    Joined:
    May 20, 2012
    Messages:
    906
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    What they said.
     
  5. sendos

    sendos Immortal

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Messages:
    1,455
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    As well as garrison your spies into your cities with the highest science potential (look for a 4-5 star rating or the highest number of stars amongst all your bases), build some constabularies and police stations. Your spies might not always capture enemy spies but at least you would slow them down.

    If you have a huge tech lead and you have police stations in every tall city, you could consider moving all spies to CS' as Browd previously mentioned. Even if some civs steal some techs from you, they'll still be behind you in tech. Secure the nearby CS' first.
     
  6. Talcove

    Talcove Slayer of Spies

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2013
    Messages:
    792
    Location:
    Mississauga
    Using them as diplomats also helps, when you need to buy votes.
     
  7. redwings1340

    redwings1340 Emperor

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1,408
    Location:
    Maryland
    I personally disagree with this tactic unless I'm going for the National Intelligence Agency. I think it's more beneficial to get the level ups that come from capturing enemy spies than to slow down enemy tech stealing (after all, they are still behind you in tech, and while they steal a tech, you're working on the next one!), especially when I can be building other things like military, production, food, or gold buildings. The constabulary and police station make it more difficult for your spies to level up, take a long time to produce and a lot of gold to buy, and I really don't see a point to building them unless you have a chance to get the extra spy and free level ups from the national wonder.
     
  8. Cpt Oblivious

    Cpt Oblivious Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2012
    Messages:
    66
    As said, either defense or rigging would be the primary uses.

    However, I also find them useful to rotate through the other civs- I get to take a look into their cities (yay for planning my dominations!), collect intrigue (late game diplomacy when tensions are high never hurts), and occasionally even as tech leader I'll find a tech to steal; often from someone who rushed into the sailing line or warfare techs while I've been doing pure science. Because in the end that's one less tech I have to "waste time with"
     
  9. jogi

    jogi Chieftain

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    50
    Location:
    Winnipeg
    I like to have a spy in the capital of the resident wonder hog as well, for obvious reasons.
     
  10. Barghaest

    Barghaest King

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Messages:
    758
    In my last two BNW games... I've not seen any AI stealing tech. I kept a spy in my capital but never get any messages (even failed to stop a spy). I was the dominate tech leader in both games. After a while I just moved all my spies out to CS or as diplomats to barter for votes. I never saw any messages about CS elections being rigged (except by me) and never could offer my votes in trade, so I'm guessing none of them put diplomats in my capital either.

    I was beginning to think they broke espionage with BNW (or maybe just broke the AI since they don't try to convert my cities anymore, I remember when G&K first came out I had to station an Inquisitor at every city of pop 10 or higher to avoid missionary spam, now the AI seems content to use them on CS or their own cities to combat pressure).
     
  11. Walter R

    Walter R Great Engineer

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2013
    Messages:
    713
    Location:
    England
    The OP is G&K
     
  12. njmfff

    njmfff Prince

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2013
    Messages:
    452
    Use them for coups. Sure, you'll still have to spend some cash to get 85% chance, but if you succeed it will hit AI's influence over CS really hard. Very useful to do it one turn before WC votes, so AI can't buy back that CS. ;)
     
  13. phillipwyllie

    phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2003
    Messages:
    1,458
    Location:
    4 Hexes from FoY
    The AI always goes after the human player so it is possible for the AI to ally your newly allied CS's beating you to the vote count.

    To answer to OP I usually steal techs until my first spy is level3 then he goes onto rigging elections. Depending on your influence over the ally of that CS you can nearly insta-coup each CS with a level3 spy. Subsequent spies are used for rigging elections as I find it too risky to steal techs with a level 1 spy in the medieval era onwards.
     
  14. njmfff

    njmfff Prince

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2013
    Messages:
    452
    True, but this might be bug\exploit. If you click on buy influence option between turns, you can give cash to CS right as your turn start\before AI turn ends. You become their ally and you still get the votes, since technically, you were ally on the turn WC votes started and "turn before". :D

    Yeah, it's not fair, but it's not fair either that AI can steal\coup with 10-15% chance and I fail with 85%. :rolleyes:
     
  15. redwings1340

    redwings1340 Emperor

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1,408
    Location:
    Maryland
    Technically the safest way to get a diplo victory is to declare war on every single civ 1 turn before the vote if you have enough city states to win it (and show the true power of diplomacy and what it means to be a leader in the process :crazyeye:). You'll still need to be careful about your city states getting conquered in that one turn, but the AI can't re-ally them!
     
  16. Quineloe

    Quineloe Prince

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2013
    Messages:
    458
    last game I had a spy and a constabulary in my capitol. I think I had 5 or 6 techs stolen from there and the spy not doing anything.
     
  17. gingerbill

    gingerbill Prince

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2005
    Messages:
    335
    I usually have 1-2 defensive and the rest getting city states favour to save money bribing them and to stop the AI becoming there ally instead.
     
  18. joncnunn

    joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2008
    Messages:
    8,621
    Location:
    Missouri
    My normal use of spies:

    1 in my capital

    The others in city states that I most want to stay as allies for both coups & rigging elections.
     

Share This Page