Utility: MapStat

If anyone can volunteer to help me produce the next version on Mac that would be great! I'm responsible for the Mac version but don't have a Mac!

I could use help in both of the following areas:
- 1.21 testing (OSX or 9). Does Mapstat work with 1.21?
- OS9 testing. Does Mapstat work on OS9?

Please leave me a reply and/or PM if you think you can help.

Originally posted by MuddyOne
I was wondering though, would it be difficult to add the rest of the city based stats to it?
This has been discussed. The answer is no (it wouldn't be difficult) and hopefully will be done in about a week's time. :)

Originally posted by Strider
Could you add something that lists the city and the improvments/wonders/small wonders ithas?
Same as above. ;)

Ok.... ChiefPaco told me to post it here. (I was working with the demo game) Didn't feel like reading through 4 pages so I just went ahead and posted it.

Lovro and Chiefpaco,

How long will it take to get mapstat updated to account for the 2/3rds population requirement that was revealed in the chat on Friday to be the reason that domination limits have not been triggering?

Interesting that the CIV3 programmers would add this particular limit and then not tell anyone about the change. This clearly explains a number of the recent games we have seen where the power strategy to traget early domination victories have not triggered because isolated civs with large population concentrations have prevented domination from triggering.

(and yes, I know how much we depend on your skills in creating the mapstat utility. I wonder why Firaxis has not just offered you a free copy of the XP or some other great reward and then just licensed this piece of the code for inclusion in a civ3 utilities patch instead of reinventing the wheel?)

Answer to your first question, "when I get around to it"... ;)
Probably this week, though.

Adding the feature to the game would be trivial for Firaxis. They already have 90% of the work done and would just have to count the tiles and print the number. Makes up for a screenful of code.

Originally posted by cracker
Lovro and Chiefpaco,

Interesting that the CIV3 programmers would add this particular limit and then not tell anyone about the change. This clearly explains a number of the recent games we have seen where the power strategy to traget early domination victories have not triggered because isolated civs with large population concentrations have prevented domination from triggering.

I remember reading about the pop requirement somewhere when I first got the game.

I found it, page 153 of the Fun Manual under Dominating the World:

If the vast majority of the world's land and population are inside your borders, your domination is assured.

It seems to me I also read it somewhere else, but the place eludes me for the moment.

Well we have the answer for the negative domination tiles issue :)

Good news. I had no trouble introducing the population quirk, and it looks to be working.

I am currently redesigning the UI, adding new features and recoding the whole thing in hope of improving performance. Hopefully, it will be ready in a few days, depending on the time I put into it. ;)

nice program chiefpaco and gramphos i use it for my series of maps that i am making!but i liked to see that you then got a mini-map and that you can see how your map is progressing.
just a little idea:D

Great utility. Told me exactly what I needed. I need 2500 tiles for a domination victory. Of course the world is over 12000 tiles.

It did tell me that I have no worries about a diplomatic victory by the builders of the UN. If I have 28% of the land and there are 7 other civs, they don't stand a chance of getting into that before the end of the game. Even if I had the UN I doubt seriously that I could get a diplomatic victory.

It would be nice if the utility did a calculation that showed exactly what percentage of the territory a civ occupies.

You must be a mindreader, Trinity (or I am one :) ).

MapStat 3, currently in the works (beta roaming around), already has percentages implemented. ;)

EDIT: Just remembered, there is a screenshot already uploaded:
EDIT: Removed screenshot.

Lovro: any progress? or has life gotten in the way? <grin>

That's normally what happens to me...

Lovro has produced a new version, 3.0! Here are the changes/additions:

- Redesigned user interface. Terrain counts now in a separate window
- Included population requirement for domination victory
- Improved performance
- Added Explorer integration option: access MapStat by right-clicking SAV or BIC file in windows explorer
- Export city stats now can export any Civ's stats
- Added more data to the export city stats feature
- Added "Open after exporting" option
- Added "View as percentages" option
- Added "Save settings" option

Enjoy!

Attachments

• mapstat_win3.0.zip
    278.4 KB · Views: 2,871
Well, the release of the new version of MapStat finally spurred me to polish the edges of the Excel spreadsheet I've been using to analyze the city stats. Its finally in a shape that I feel comfortable showing off....

The only real differences between this and the text file exported from MapStat are:
  • Easy sorting of the city stats
  • Makes it a little easier to view the totals
  • Provides the total number of cities
  • Calculates the % of waste and corruption for each city
  • Provides a total % of waste and corruption
  • Makes it easy to compare city stats from different points in the game

If any of these 'features' seems useful to you, and you have Excel 2000, download and enjoy.

Needless, to say, this is being provided 'as-is'! <grin>

Attachments

• mapstat_win_xls.zip
    31.2 KB · Views: 554
Uh, there uh seems to be a bug in the new mapstat.

I thought I'd check out my game after my foreign advisor told me that we had destroyed the stolid English. The English are no more. Yet Mapstat shows them as still having 14% of the land, and me only 11%. From looking at the minimap, I'd say I have around 25% of the land.

Good work though. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Are you sure you loaded the correct save (not an older one)? If so, could you easy-upload that save for me to check?

Top Bottom