v86 Vikingland

Mezzy

Warlord
Played a bit on Vikingland this time.

Difficulty: Prince

• Vikingland does not begin with the tech needed to produce Berserkers (Metal works). Not getting to produce berserkers well into the 1000s was a bit off-putting.
  • Not being able to raze capitals (London) created a big dilemma. On one hand, to defeat the english I had to capture the city. But it's red on the stability map, meaning a lot of negative territory stability impact on holding it.
    • Due this I entered a civil war in the late 1500s with Normannaland taking the british isles and Wiburg, razing Wiburg and Dyflin. I recaptured Kirkjuvagr, and Wiburg before being razed. I recaptured London as well, hoping to release England, but that wasn't an option unfortunately. England released itself from me in 1860s, so it solved itself. I recaptured Ireland and Scotland and left London to its own devices.
  • Longboats upgrade to caravel, meaning they lose their bombard ability. Most promotions the longboats get through experience is related to bombardment, and these promotions are rendered useless once upgraded to caravel. Not very ideal..
  • I already mentioned the missing dangerous waters tiles in v86, but it gave me the opportunity to discover India in 1100.
  • Looking at the Atlas Iceland is marked yellow for Vikingland. That can't be right?
  • The whole auto-war with anyone I meet should have a end-date. Meeting a new civ in 1850s and automatically declaring war on them seems a bit unhistorical. It's also quite exhausting in the end to manually have to make peace with all city states I meet.
    • Follow up on this is that when the 10 turns are over, all civs have immediately wanted peace and become friendly with me.

Last edited:
I just played a vikingland game too! The the auto-war with everyone is also a bit worrying because the AI is sometimes dumb and I can just show up up with a couple longboats and they completely surrender and give me everything they have (I played on immortal).
But I must also say that in virtue of that I also got invaded by Germany and almost lost Stockholm in the beginning XD
On another note, I'm not sure why but both Arabia and China were destroyed by the time I got there (pretty early for both) and almost all of their cities were razed. The only explanation I can find is Huns+Mongols.
I've seen Huns roaming around at the start of many medieval civs, are they really necessary? I think they should appear only to "clean up"/create tension when the player is involved in the ancient/classical eras.

I just played a vikingland game too! The the auto-war with everyone is also a bit worrying because the AI is sometimes dumb and I can just show up up with a couple longboats and they completely surrender and give me everything they have (I played on immortal).
But I must also say that in virtue of that I also got invaded by Germany and almost lost Stockholm in the beginning XD
On another note, I'm not sure why but both Arabia and China were destroyed by the time I got there (pretty early for both) and almost all of their cities were razed. The only explanation I can find is Huns+Mongols.
I've seen Huns roaming around at the start of many medieval civs, are they really necessary? I think they should appear only to "clean up"/create tension when the player is involved in the ancient/classical eras.

those you see around are leftovers. They appear earlier than medieval civs

Top Bottom