[Vanilla] News: GOTM 49 - Starts 1 December

I see a lot of talking about the game-creator personality and very little talking about first techs, firsts builds, etc... :sad:

Whatever I say I'm gonna do I usually change my mind when I come to play the game. Right now I'm thinking, settle in-place, use all that food to spam settlers, then build a palace somewhere else so I can turn in-place into a GP farm. That probably means I'll end up settling on turn 12 on the other side of the map and then distracted by real life and end up not submitting in time...

By the way, isn't anyone going to ask about the game the ladies are playing?
By the way, isn't LC going to make comments about the ladies themselves?

You mean our rivals are going to be Hatshepsut, Victoria, Isabella, Elizabeth, and Catherine? Cool! Thanks for the info :lol:

Jesusin, the ladies are playing Go. So what ? We are interested in a man's game here.
My first thought upon looking at the picture was: "women play go!?" I thought it was a man's game.
Spoiler :
like chess
Spoiler :
or civ
Spoiler :
apologies to the wonderful women players and posters - you are great
Spoiler :
but in the minority

---edit
Maybe the picture is a hint that we are going to be surrounded

I see a lot of talking about the game-creator personality and very little talking about first techs, firsts builds, etc... :sad:
Okay, okay... How about this:
  • Research Hunting-AnimalHusbandry-Pottery-Writing-Alphabet.
  • Warrior 1NW in order to reveal 3 or 4 tiles, aim North, & get next to hill. Probably settle in place (possibly settle 1N).
  • Worker first, Warriors to size three or so, then another worker and two Settlers as fast as possible with all that food.
  • Fogbust (If done well enough, this can make skipping Archery possible)
  • Find everyone else & lick their boots for awhile. Perhaps even build a Scout if the barb attrition isn't too bad.
  • At size 4 or 5, build a Library & employ scientists to get an early Great Scientist & Academy.
  • Put Settler #1 next to Horses if at all possible or else find a commerce-rich site.
  • Build river cottages early.
  • Trade as fast as (reasonably) possible for BronzeWorking. If no horses, have the 2nd settler ready to plant on or next to the first metal in range; else find commerce.
  • Build an army, target a Northern Civ (preferably a lunatic with horses nearby), and commence the hostilities.
  • Alternate: Stick Mining & BronzeWorking into the tech order for chopping settlers & library (but this may weaken trading opportunities & foreign relations significantly).

Anyone have any thoughts about this plan? I have not tested it yet.

I think settling in place on the hill and teching Archery might be required... many barbs anticipated coming from huge central desert on this map. At least until AI/culture borders fogbust for us.

However, tree cutting will be important for defense as well as for building stuff in a reasonable time... so my tech path will probably not be rush to alphabet, but more like:

hunting>AH>archery>mining>BW>pottery>writing>alphabet

That said, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy.

Research Hunting-AnimalHusbandry-Pottery-Writing-Alphabet.

I tried this in Vivafox' test game, and got overrun by barb archers, even though I had 6 cover promoted warriors. Problem is that there are no horses in the south. The advantage of early library is not that hot when you dont have time to build it or can spare the hammers to employ scientists.

The real game may be easier to fogbust (ie. nearby AI), but I doubt it.

Still not sure if I'll do Hunt-AH-Archery-Writing or Hunt-AH-Mining-BW.

Hmm... sounds bloody, Fluroscent. I'll have to try it :), but I'm not going to get a chance to do that until the weekend (at least). Anyway, if there is no other way then I lean much more heavily to the BW tech path. As a dead-end tech, Archery seems a waste in an immortal game. Plus we need metal quickly anyway and it would be nice advantage to be able to chop and whip sooner rather than later.

Some questions: Were the warriors overrun while fogbusting or did they get caught in the capital? How did they get the "cover" promotion so fast, by combat? In the Vivafox test game, is our city in a corner of the map (as in most Oasis games) or are we in the middle somewhere?

kcd is right about no plan surviving contact with the enemy though. I wonder if one of these days we get a map with no metals or horses at all... for anyone. (In that case archery might be necessary!)

My take is that it's safer and probably better all around to go Mining, BW, Agri, AH. Build two workers, chop first settler while growing to get copper in the second city, then build axes to greatly reduce barb problems so you can expand with multiple cities ASAP, hopefully settling at least one city early near some of the mid-map resources.

Anyone notice how flexible those ladies look? Bet they can do all sorts of contortions. And those heavy garments they're wearing. Must be really hot underneath.

I think the only English they know is, "Go!"

My take is that it's safer and probably better all around to go Mining, BW, Agri, AH. Build two workers, chop first settler while growing to get copper in the second city, then build axes to greatly reduce barb problems so you can expand with multiple cities ASAP, hopefully settling at least one city early near some of the mid-map resources.
That is probably great advice. Certainly it comes from a master of the art. :bowdown: Thanks Cactus Pete! Two questions though: (1) Why Agriculture instead of hunting? Agriculture is much more expensive and it doesn't look like we'll need it right away. (2) Why not beeline AH first to put the cow and pigs to work as soon as possible?

By the way, isn't anyone going to ask about the game the ladies are playing?
By the way, isn't LC going to make comments about the ladies themselves?

Anyone notice how flexible those ladies look? Bet they can do all sorts of contortions. And those heavy garments they're wearing. Must be really hot underneath.

I think the only English they know is, "Go!"

I think it is one of those Hidden objects Pictures. I found a chess board. What else is hidden?

That is probably great advice. Certainly it comes from a master of the art. :bowdown: Thanks Cactus Pete! Two questions though: (1) Why Agriculture instead of hunting? Agriculture is much more expensive and it doesn't look like we'll need it right away. It's not much more expensive, and I don't want to be able to build spears so I can build warriors. (2) Why not beeline AH first to put the cow and pigs to work as soon as possible?
Played it that way with the test game Vixafox graciously provided, and just liked my situation better going Mining and BW.

Played it that way with the test game Vixafox graciously provided, and just liked my situation better going Mining and BW.
Fair enough... I'm getting the itch to make some time sooner rather than later to try that test save myself. :drool:

Thanks for the replies! :thanx: (and to Vivafox for the testgame :thumbsup:)

Is there a way to get a version of this save file that does not require the HOF mod?

I am a new player of Civ4, and am enjoying it immensely. There is so much to learn from the game, and a ton of information on this site. However, I think it would be a wonderful way to learn the game by playing one of these GOTM saves and then being able to follow the discussion as a learning experience.

My understanding is that the HOF mod is needed for anybody wanting to submit an entry. I am not interested in submitting an entry, only in playing along and learning from this community.

Why not just install it anyway? I tried that, but apparently it does not work with copies of the game purchased from Direct2Drive due to a mismatch in the coreDLL file. Short of purchasing another boxed copy of the game, I do not think there is anything I can do about it.

Hence my question. Is there a version of this GOTM save file that does not require the HOF mod to play?

Hence my question. Is there a version of this GOTM save file that does not require the HOF mod to play?
Welcome to CFC! :wavey:

While the game is running, there is not a place to get a save that does not require the HoF Mod. Once the game closes and the results are published, you can download the World Builder save from the results page for each game. The link is located under the game title where it says "Download the World Builder File".

I see that you have posted in the HoF thread. They should be able to help you get the HoF Mod working.

We look forward to seeing your game submissions. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom