Voice Acting Bonanza!

bismarck_

Chieftain
hey forum people,

we're getting quotes back!
pop the champagne bottles.

i proposed a multi-speaker approach to leoreth and he said YES (sorta)!

we need men with steely voices, masculine strength and riefenstahlesque furor. we need sexy soundbits..nemoy bits. hmmmmm...nemoy.

any takers? my voice is not terrible..but i have high hopes there are some real diamonds in hiding here...because where do you find them sexy,sexy baritons..if not in mod-forums about 10+ year old civ-games? EXACTLY!

so...who's in?

I can sing tech quotes in a Boltonesque style if you want...

I have access to a network of English-speaking actors (some native) and actresses through my wife. I might be able to convince some with a bottle of wine (those artsy people like their alcohol).

What exactly are we looking for here? Seriously Nemoys? Give me some specifics and I'll ask around.

I guess it depends on the technology and quotes what kind of voice you want to cast?

Whith those new technologies and no Leonard Nimoy around, I support the idea. If anyone around here has that kind of voice, please volunteer.

PS: I was thinking about somebody voicing missing civ languages (Improve Italian and Polish and add Congolese, Thai, Tamil, etc).

I have access to a network of English-speaking actors (some native) and actresses through my wife. I might be able to convince some with a bottle of wine (those artsy people like their alcohol).

What exactly are we looking for here? Seriously Nemoys? Give me some specifics and I'll ask around.

I guess it depends on the technology and quotes what kind of voice you want to cast?
Well the style should be consistent for all quotes, but it doesn't necessarily need to be like Nimoy. I also like the more matter of fact reading of the Alpha Centauri narrator. Obviously it doesn't need to be male either. The only requirement I can think of is sufficient gravitas as is appropriate for historical quotes.

Well the style should be consistent for all quotes, but it doesn't necessarily need to be like Nimoy. I also like the more matter of fact reading of the Alpha Centauri narrator. Obviously it doesn't need to be male either. The only requirement I can think of is sufficient gravitas as is appropriate for historical quotes.

We should use crowdfunding to hire James Earl Jones to read the quotes.

Currently, the following techs have quotes from the original tech quotes of either CIv4 or Civ5:
Spoiler :

• Alloys (uses Bronze Working quote)
  • Ballistics (uses Artillery quote)
  • Biology (unchanged)
  • Bloomery (uses Iron Working quote)
  • Calendar (unchanged)
  • Chemistry (unchanged)
  • Civil Service (unchanged)
  • Combined Arms (uses Composites quote)
  • Compass (unchanged)
  • Construction (unchanged)
  • Currency (unchanged)
  • Ecology (unchanged)
  • Electricity (unchanged)
  • Engine (uses Steam Power quote)
  • Engineering (unchanged)
  • Exploration (uses Optics quote)
  • Feudalism (unchanged)
  • Finance (uses Banking quote)
  • Fission (unchanged)
  • Flight (unchanged)
  • Fortification (uses Masonry quote)
  • Generalship (uses Military Tradition quote)
  • Guilds (unchanged)
  • Infrastructure (uses Combustion quote)
  • Laser (uses Civ5's Laser quote)
  • Law (uses Code of Laws quote)
  • Literature (unchanged)
  • Mathematics (unchanged)
  • Medicine (unchanged)
  • Mining (unchanged)
  • Mythology (uses Polytheism quote)
  • Nationalism (unchanged)
  • Paper (unchanged)
  • Physics (unchanged)
  • Pottery (unchanged)
  • Printing (uses Printing Press tech)
  • Refrigeration (unchanged)
  • Representation (uses Democracy quote)
  • Riding (uses Horseback Riding quote)
  • Sailing (unchanged)
  • Satellites (uses Rocketry quote)
  • Scholarship (uses Education quote)
  • Scientific Method (unchanged)
  • Seafaring (uses Civ5's Sailing quote)
  • Superconductors (unchanged)
  • Theology (unchanged)
  • Writing (unchanged)
Also, audio records for some of the quotes as spoken by the ones who said them are available (like Biotechnology, Civil Rights, and Spaceflight) and should be used if fair use laws would allow us.

I suggest to leave the audio quotes for the mentioned techs unchanged.

Last edited:
I'd like to have the same voice actor for all quotes.

I'd like to have the same voice actor for all quotes.
With the wonders of modern AI, I wouldn't be surprised if within 5 years we'd be able to synthesize the quotes.

If I could choose a voice hybrid for the quotes, it'd be a mix between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Leonard Nimoy.

I would be willing to take on this project and record the tech quotes. I've attached a few samples of some tech quotes from the vanilla CIV so you can hear what my voice sounds like. All I really need is a microphone, Audacity, the list of quotes, and some spare time to record them all.

I'm no Leonard Nimoy though.

Attachments

• Sample Tech Quotes.zip
    962.1 KB · Views: 365
With the wonders of modern AI, I wouldn't be surprised if within 5 years we'd be able to synthesize the quotes.
Something like this?

I don't think I have to choose, I can easily include multiple voice packs in the installer to choose from.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... @bismarck_ is German, perhaps we could even provide a different set of voice lines for other versions than only the English one?

Well first of all we need to translate the quotes themselves.

Just throw them into Google Translate, it'll be hilarious!

So I've gotten started on recording the tech quotes tonight and I decided to go through them in alphabetical order. I've got the first 17 attached here. Some questions/comments so far:

1. How is the recording quality? By that I mean the quality and clarity of the sound and the manner in which I'm speaking. I'm currently aiming to speak with the same pacing and cadence as Leonard Nimoy but it's tough to benchmark myself for the new quotes. Any feedback to help me improve there would be greatly appreciated especially since this is my first time trying voice acting.
2. Any techs which I should go back and re-record?
3. Is there a compiled list of all of the new tech quotes in the same file? I spent way too much time tonight manually copying over the tech quotes from the in-game Civilopedia tonight (I've already done A-M there).
4. What file type do you want me to provide the sound files in? I'm sticking with mp3s right now but I can choose a different file type if it will work better with the mod.

Attachments

• Tech Quotes A-B.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 329
So I've gotten started on recording the tech quotes tonight and I decided to go through them in alphabetical order. I've got the first 17 attached here. Some questions/comments so far:

1. How is the recording quality? By that I mean the quality and clarity of the sound and the manner in which I'm speaking. I'm currently aiming to speak with the same pacing and cadence as Leonard Nimoy but it's tough to benchmark myself for the new quotes. Any feedback to help me improve there would be greatly appreciated especially since this is my first time trying voice acting.
2. Any techs which I should go back and re-record?
3. Is there a compiled list of all of the new tech quotes in the same file? I spent way too much time tonight manually copying over the tech quotes from the in-game Civilopedia tonight (I've already done A-M there).
4. What file type do you want me to provide the sound files in? I'm sticking with mp3s right now but I can choose a different file type if it will work better with the mod.

1. I listed a few of them and I quite like it.
3. You can find the quotes in Assets/XML/Text/Technologies.xml
4. The vanilla tech quotes are in mp3, so I think that should be fine.

Top Bottom