Want to Write a RIFTS Mod--Looking for Help

Nexus points could also work like "Lairs" in FFH2. The exploration could work somewhat like in FFH2 but the unit would be "lost" for a number of turns before re-appearing. The unit may also not appear in the same spot?
Just an idea.

For the "Rifts Earth" maps, I wish to base the ley line map on existing ley lines. I own almost all the Rifts products so figuring that out shouldn't be too difficult. Having playtesters point out inconsistencies (such as they are; there are often conflicting accounts in this system) would be a big help too. However, I do hope to have random map generation as a possibility in later releases, possibly v 2.0 or earlier.

Good idea for the nexus points Cro. Although rifts can technically open up anywhere along a ley line, they are definitely more likely to open up on a nexus. Having these "temporary lairs" pop up here and there would be a very interesting mechanic to introduce to the game.

4th Weekly Update: August 27th, 2009

I am still playing through FFH2. Man, is this a massive mod! I give props to the design team. They really did a great job. I still haven't explored all the options and I've probably logged well over 120 hours playing with various settings. Anyway here are some key things I have culled from FFH2 so far that I wish to incorporate into the Rifts mod.

-Magic units learn spells as promotions. I think this will fit with Rifts pretty well, at least thematically, as higher level spellcasters tend to have more spells at their disposal. Spell selection in Rifts will be dependent upon the type of unit and level rather than on the type of mana.
-Summon duration. I can use this code to give juicer units a limited lifespan. I'm still unsure whether I can make it random, but I can figure that out later.
-Heroes. I have really enjoyed this concept and Rifts is resplendent with examples of them. The hardest part will be picking which ones to represent their respective civs!
-Mercenaries. This idea is not unique to FFH2, but it is an essential element to Rifts nonetheless. Unlike other mods I have seen, in Rifts the mercenaries available will be based on the highest tech available, not your civ's tech. At least that is my plan. It may depend on my coding abilities.
-Obsidian Gate. Something similar will be available to cities built on a nexus although it will be a late game feature and there will probably be no equivalent of the Nexus.
-Boarding Party. Ship capture is something I always felt was sorely missed from Civ. It will be available in Rifts as well.
-Undead. Duh.
-Orcs. See Undead.
-Other race types. See Orcs and Undead. This also opens the door for a few other D-Bee races. I will go through D-Bees of North America and pick the most prominent ones, such as the Grackletooth and Quick-Flex.
-No healing (from Black Tower). In Rifts it is assumed that most damage is taken to body armor for infantry type units since any single shot from a laser would instantly kill a man, hence most units will be unable to heal on their own (dragons and the like can still heal normally, being supernaturally tough). Certain units, like the Operator, will have the Repair ability, which will function like the existing Medic ability, and give the unit the ability to "heal" certain units in the stack. This will be a defining element of this mod and hopefully make for some interesting and compelling strategies.
-Items. There are plenty of legendary items in Rifts.
-Dungeons. Be they ruins of pre-Cataclysm cities or open rifts ready to explore, there will be plenty of places for your units to rummage around.
-Disease. There are lots of diseases on Rifts Earth. It is good to wear environmental body armor at all times.
-Weapon Upgrades. Better weapons mean bonuses to strength. I like that idea. I will look into incorporating it somehow.

Those are all I can think of for right now. As for the coding, I haven't put much into the XML document lately although I did create a word document with equivalencies for units which I will be using as stand-ins until I get animations. I will post it when I get a semi-complete version. In the meantime, here are a few units I have added to the early game.

Note: EBA = unit is immune to disease

SDC Warrior, Str 2, Move 1, Cost 15,+25% city defense - This early unit is good at defending your cities from other civs early on but not roaming monsters (barbarians), so hurry up and tech to MDC armor!
Scout, Str 1, Move 2, Cost 15, better results from ruins, +100% vs. animals - This early unit is good for exploring the map, but vulnerable to just about everything.
Plastic Man, Str 3, Move 1, Cost 30, +1000% vs. SDC units, EBA - The first laser armed unit with MDC EBA armor. You can finally explore semi-safely.
Vibro-Swordsman, Str 4, Cost 30, Move 1, +500% vs. SDC units, +10% city attack - A decent early attacker.
Huntsman, Str 4, Move 1, Cost 30, +1000% vs. SDC units, +100% vs. D-Bees - Available at the same time as the Plastic Man, the downside is that this suit is not not EBA so they are more likely to succumb to disease if you send them outside your city. Great for monster-hunting though.
Urban Warrior, Str 5, Move 1, Cost 35, +1000% vs. SDC units, +25% city defense, EBA - The light weight of this armor makes it excellent for city defenders.
Bushman, Str 6, Move 1, Cost 45, +1000% vs. SDC units, EBA, +10 city attack - The first heavy assault unit designed for pounding enemy cities.
Gladiator, Str 7, Move 1, Cost 70, +1000% vs. SDC units, EBA, +25% vs. Robot units, +25% vs. Power Armor units - An excellent late-game infantry unit to use against opponents with lots of robots and power armor.
Crusader, Str 10, Move 1, Cost 100, +1000% vs. SDC units, EBA, +10% city defense - The most powerful basic infantry unit, and you will need it!

Another thing to take in to consideration might be government civics. Maybe use the field from FFH2 that allows for over and undercouncil and alter it for use with Rifts style ideologies. An example would be for coalition have increased production and reduced upgrade cost to tech units but cannot build any units with magic or d-bee keywords (they will also leave the side if this is selected.) This way you don't have to force people into playing the civs the way they are in the Rifts universe but allow for the option to be able to play that way.

Way ahead of you Cro, I just haven't gotten around to posting it yet. I've already got a fairly sophisticated civic system worked out. Human players won't be forced to play civs the way they ended up in Rifts Earth, but the AI will have a tendency towards that a la favored civics. Two of the new Civic categories will be Doctrine and Tolerance, which will indicate how the civ views relations with Magic/Psionics and D-Bees respectively. Humanocentricity will be a Tolerance civic that grants bonuses to happiness and production (due to your anti-D-Bee propaganda machine) but increases the likelihood of hostile encounters when exploring Dungeons and prevents you from training D-Bee units and hiring D-Bee mercenaries. There will be other civics representing other viewpoints along the tree such as Tolerant, Exploitative, and Egalitarian. Obviously Karl Prosek's favorite civic will be Humanocentricity.

The Doctrine civic line will influence whether your civilization embraces technology, magic, psionics, or some combination of the three to re-achieve dominance over Rifts Earth. Magocracy (the favorite civic of Alistair Dunscon) will provide bonuses for producing magic units but penalties for producing technological units like robot vehicles and power armor and prevent the hiring of such mercenary units that use them. Psionocracy (favored by Psynex) will operate similar to magocracy but favor psychic units. Technocracy (the favorite of Joseph Prosek I) will favor robots and human augmentation over other means. Most civs will want to adopt one of these as the tech tree spans three branches and it is best to specialize in one rather than try to develop all three at once (much like FFH2). The final civic, Unitarianism, for those that have completed two or more tech trees, will actually be beneficial to those civs that can use the best units available to multiple tech trees.

I will post more details on this in a future update, but I have only drafted out the general concepts so far, as right now I am focusing on the units.

5th Weekly Update, September 3rd, 2009

Unfortunately there is not much to report this week as I was too busy with school. I did a little bit of work on the unit infos, but not anything worth noting. One thing I did do is compare the number of units I plan to incorporate into the game to the number of existing units in the standard BTS game. Without accounting for unique units, of which I plan to have at least two for each civ, I have about 3/5 as many units as the standard BTS game. I figure once I factor in unique units I will have about as many as the standard game. I am not sure if that is enough since I am planning on having three tech specialties (technology, magic, and psionics). Although it was originally my intention to use only the latest edition of the core book (Rifts: Ultimate Edition) as the inspiration for the basic units and use additional sourcebooks only as needed for unique units, I may alter that plan somewhat and decide to include some of the more popular concepts from sourcebooks as additional units.

6th Weekly Update, September 10th, 2009

I thought I would show the masses some progress this week. Attached is a file showing some of the units I have been working on. No robots or dragons yet, but I have got the basics for some cyborgs and the magic units, as well as the basic units. I have done a few tweaks, after considering the needs of the game for balancing out the unit types. You'll note text in blue and text in black. The blue text is unedited from the original Civ4 BTS unit list. Black text is edited text. Though I have done some work on the tech tree, I really don't have much more than some piecemeal parts so there really isn't much point in me assigning the different units to techs yet. I also haven't decided on costs because I want to do that after I have finished assigning strength values to everything. You will also notice I have not changed the buttons for the units. That will come later. For right now, I am focusing on mechanics, not art.

To give some insight on the methods to my madness, for those familiar with the RIFTS system, I am basing the Strength scores on a number of things. For right now they are mostly rough estimates based upon the type of armor a character is wearing. That is because I am still considering using an item system that will allow you to individually equip each unit. (I am not sold on that idea, as it may add too much micromanagement to the mod.) Under the system I am considering, weapons could be purchased for a modest sum of Universal Credits and added to units individually to boost their strength. They wouldn't be necessary (as it would be assumed all troops would have standard-issue weapons), but units equipped with them would be superior and it would be a way for a wealthy civ with green troops to have a fair chance against a warmonger with veterans.

For mages and psychics, the Strength score is calculated a bit differently. I use the amount of P.P.E. (think magic points for those who are not familiar with the game) available as the basic barometer of the power of the unit. However, the main advantage of mages and psychics will be their spells and powers. They won't stand much chance against an assault 'bot, but with the right spell, they might disable the 'bot, or soften it up for another unit to be able to take it down. However, mages (not necessarily psychics) can be potent if fighting while on a ley line or ley line nexus, as they gain bonuses for both offense and defense, some mages more than others.

Anyway, enjoy perusing the file. I hope to have it done by the end of the month and have the info popped into a unitinfos file.

Attachments

• Rifts Units By Tech v0.1.doc
    145.5 KB · Views: 95
Just out of curiousity. Did you decide to use the FFH, or FF core, or are you building it entirely from scratch?

Most likely I will use the FF core. There are enough concepts I want to snag from that mod that it just makes sense.

That makes sense. My advice would be to build the units and what not out of the FF XML, and not BtS in that case.

7th Weekly Update, September 17th, 2009

Nothing new to report this week. I have been very busy with my first round of exams so I haven't had time to work on the mod. Maybe next week I will have the document file finished with my draft for the units and their desired traits.

8th Weekly Update, September 25th, 2009

I missed reporting yesterday. I've had a lot on my plate recently and haven't had any time for modding, let alone playing Civ. I will continue posting weekly updates and let you know when I get something more done.

Even though i imagine you are busy with school, I hope you still have some interest in developing this mod.

Sorry to Necro this thread, but I am very interested in developing a RIFTS-based mod for BTS. Anyone still around from this project?

I would like to revitilize this project. If no one of the original team objects, then i'm gonna start organizing some data.

Factions and leaders (for simplicity, these are the factions with the most info)

Coalition = Emperor Karl Prosek
Federation of Magic = Alistair Dunscon
Cyberworks = Archie Three
Free Quebec = Prime Minister James Lorne
Lazlo = Plato
Tolkeen = King Robert Leonard Creed
Pecos Empire = Emporer Sabre Lasar
Mexico Empire = Regent Augustus Obregon

For units, I believe that each faction should have the same amount of units available (based on tech and flavor)

I propose the following (with the numbers being the upgrade order (2 replaces 1, 3 replaces 2, etc.) The slot doesn't necessarily have to conform to the standard version, only that they will be similar in structure and usage across all factions (A Glitter Boy unit can hold a tank slot for example).

Guardsmen 1
Guardsmen 2
Guardsmen 3
Guardsmen 4

Mounted 1
Mounted 2
Mounted 3
Mounted 4

Range 1
Range 2
Range 3
Range 4

Mounted Range 1
Mounted Range 2

Scout 1
Scout 2
Scout 3
Scout 4

Transport 1
Transport 2

Worker
Settler
Acolyte*
Priest**
Spy

Medic 1
Medic 2

Tank 1
Tank 2
Tank 3
Tank 4

Artillery 1
Artillery 2
Artillery 3
Artillery 4

Fighter 1
Fighter 2

Bomber 1
Bomber 2

Special 1
Special 2
Special 3
Special 4

So when all techs are researched, each faction will have the following:

Guardsman
Mounted
Ranged
Mounted Ranged
Tank
Transport
Worker
Settler
Acolyte*
Priest**
Spy
Scout
Artillery
Fighter
Bomber
Special
Medic

*Acolytes of course can be more then 1 type depending on how we handle religion. Acolyte is any unit that can spread something (Religion, corporation, etc.)
**Priests are the units that can be built when an acolyte spreads whatever it is spreading to a particular city; again there can be multiple versions in a single city.

Technologies:

Tier 1:
Religion
Education
Agriculture
Mining
Arcane Energy
Chemistry
Mass Production
<TBC>

YAY! I don't have any input just yet for this but just wanted to comment that I'm glad someone is still interested. I've been keen on a mod for Rifts for a long time but am clueless when it comes to coding.

Top Bottom