War and happiness

Gnaeus Pompeius

Chieftain
I am playing as Rome under the Monarchy form of government. I have had the Babylonians declare war on me after they refused to remove their units from my territory. Now all my towns and cities have additional happy faces. Is this how it's meant to be ?? I understand that having a rival declare war on you under Democracy and the Republic "decreases war weariness" per the manual, but I would have thought there would be no effect under Monarchy. Can anyone assist please with an explanation ?? I hate rules (if that's what it is) which are not explained in the manual or anywhere else, since it just leaves me scratching my head.

Thanks in anticipation.

Possibly, you were getting luxuries from them, and the war stopped shipment of these luxuries.

woops, should read a post before I reply to it. :)
If you're getting more HAPPY people, possibly you were shipping them a luxury that you had 2 of, lost one of these luxuries such that now you were shipping your remaining one (because the treaty takes presidence) thus deny the luxury to yourself.

Now that war is on, you're no longer shipping it, but keeping for yourself.

Thanks for the reply. However, I was not trading any luxuries at all. Guess it may be a bug unless anyone knows better :confused:

The manual can't be trusted. :) Perhaps the patriotism your citizens experience in the early stages of a war, applies to all governments?

However unlikely, maybe you built a road connecting a luxury resource, and your borders expanded to include it at the beginning of your turn? A bit far fetched, but i won't bother building a colony if my cultural influence is expanding in a few turns. :)

Yes, I was wondering if patriotism applies, regardless of Govt.
I suppose I'll have to try and make peace and see if that has any
effect, otherwise pursue the war until maybe I reach a point where the effect has worn off. Thanks anyway.

Don't you get a happiness bonus for having fortified troops in cities (up to the military police # allowed for that government) when you are at war? Isn't that what Military Police is for in the editor?

That's one of the reasons why Democracy and Republic are such sucky war time governments. No military police, no maintenance-free units, and war weariness from the very first turn.

It probably says something about my personality, but I beeline for Literature, then beeline to Monarchy and I stay in Monarchy until I win :goodjob: or die. :cry:

Originally posted by homegrown
Don't you get a happiness bonus for having fortified troops in cities (up to the military police # allowed for that government) when you are at war? Isn't that what Military Police is for in the editor?

I'm pretty sure that military police applies all the time, not just during war. I don't think its effectiveness changes when you're at war.

I have seen this happen lots of times. In fact when playing a builder game in democracy with spaceship or diplomatic victories as my target I routinely keep 1 war with a weak civ going. If you only fight in your territory and you just keep loads of artillery/other bombard units so you don't lose battles very often this gives a permanent happiness boost.

As to whether this is a bug or a feature I don't know. It does say somewhere that war weariness goes down when war is declared, then up as the war progresses. But there is rarely war weariness if you follow the procedures above.

Top Bottom