War in Industrial Age (Deity)_

wanhaiyang

Chieftain
I am playing patched vanilla Civ 3. 6 months ago I won on Emperor and since then I have been trying to win on Deity. I am gradually getting there, now that I have finally woken up to micro-management etc.. My current game is doing reasonably well (for me at least). The date is 16:30 I am Egypt in Democracy in the Industrial Age (researching Atomic Theory). I have infantry, hospitals, battlefield medicine, artillery and cavalry, but no tanks.

There are two continents and one big island. Myself, Greece, Babylon, Russia, Germany (on the big island) and Persia (down to one city on an island) are still in the game. I found myself on one continent sandwiched between Rome and Greece. I recently used my golden age to destroy Rome and take all their land. Greece, Russia and Babylon are ahead of me on techs and are in the Modern Age with tanks etc. but I have not seen any M-Armour or M-Infantry. Germany is also ahead of me on techs but I think perhaps not so far ahead as the others.

I recently noted that the F8 screen showed me to be more powerful than Greece. I decided to attack before their tech advantage allowed them to be too strong for me. This was at the stage when they demanded 22 GPT for a renewal of ROP. In addition my territory was fully improved and so my workers need more land to keep them usefully employed. Over the ages I had been building catapults/cannon/artillery whenever an appropriate city appeared and I now have about 20 artillery. I have a large number of infantry, less cavalry (since my attack on Roman decreased their number) and about 8 explorers and one city fine-tuned to producing an explorer each turn.

I am now 4 turns into my attack on Greece that lies North of me, with a narrow section in the middle connecting its east and west parts. My attack to date has proceeded as per below.

(1) Conquered and razed a Greek city to the South of my territory that they originally took from the Romans. After abandoning the city its former territory remains fully within my territory and eases cramping in the area.

(2) Used artillery and explorers to all but completely create a ribbon of un-improved land 2 squares deep into Greece’s territory.

(3) Sent explorers deeper into Greek territory to destroy road/railway links to resources and luxuries. Even though Greece captures my explorers (when they go deep) it never seems to use them to destroy my improvements.

(4) Parked infantry and artillery on mountains overlooking/within Greek territory to bombard Greek tanks and improvements. Cavalry are used to finish off red-lined tanks. Infantry posted on the border provide cover for my returning red-lined cavalry. Greece is losing more tanks than I lose cavalry.

(5) Formed an alliance with Germany and Babylon to fight Greece. I have no navy and am relying on them to deal with Greece’s navy whilst I fight the land battle for additional adjacent territory.

My minimum objective is to capture (and perhaps raze) the Greek City that links the East and West sides of its territory and thus split Greece’s territory.

To date the Greek response has been pretty muted. Apart from sending 3 tanks into my territory on the first go (all destroyed with the loss of one of my cavalry) there has been no serious counterattack. It has sent some tanks to capture explorers and attack my infantry. Now that their border road/rail links are gone, the tanks are usually stranded after their attack and are destroyed by artillery bombardment plus a cavalry. Though Greece has airports and aircraft carriers I have seen no aircraft.

I have four questions.

(A) I am in democracy and making a lot of money. I would like to stay in productive democracy if possible (rather than switching to Monarchy) by using the luxury slide to keep as many citizens as possible working. If I am able to do this for a full 20 turns, or however long it takes to reach an appropriate peace settlement, (without going bankrupt) apart from losing a lot of money and there being zero research is there any other negative side effect.

(B) What fighting strategy/tactic should I use once I have completed my 2 square deep ribbon?. Would it just be case of moving my Infantry/Artillery/Cavalry/Worker (for building fortresses on mountains) stack further into Greek territory to make the ribbon deeper and destroy links to resources/luxuries, until Greek starts to weaken and then turn my attention to the cities.

(C) I have cities that can produce 60 or 70 shields a turn. Too few for cavalry (requiring 80 shields) in one go, but too much for infantry (requiring 90 shields) in two goes. Of course I can fine tune the shield count up and down (with various effects on food production, taxmen, scientists etc.) but it is never satisfactory and there is usually a lot of wastage. These cities already have factories and coal power plants and given my current techs there is no other infrastructure project to build (except of a palace but I do not want this in the relevant city). The Hoover Dam and TOE have already been built. In any event I need to concentrate on building military units at present. How can I get the best out of these over-productive cities?

(D) I plan to negotiate hard for beneficial peace terms, so that I can get techs that allow me to catch up with Germany and perhaps do some tech trades. Ultimately I want to destroy Greece and Germany and take all their land. However this alone will not be sufficient for a domination victory. Space, cultural and conquest victories are probably out of the question as is diplomatic victory (which I have disallowed). So a domination victory appears to be my only victory route (unless I have some good luck with resources e.g. control of aluminium etc.). What would be the best way to achieve this. Would it be to get the remaining two countries (Babylon and Russia on the other continent) to fight each other by way of using a MPP/alliance with the stronger to weaken them both and then try to settle/conquer some of the area on the continent.

I appreciate it is hard to provide clear strategies without a game save but any ideas welcome.

Top Bottom