Warlord to Regent (BC strategy)

BrianJ said:
I'm curious about the close city placement. Doesn't this stunt the cities growth in later turns? (Assuming your game lasts til the modern age with huge cities)

Only if you build hospitals and play well into the Modern Ages. Most of the time, the game can be won long before the close build becomes a problem.

MAS said:
I see a number of towns that can make 1 spt and grow in 10, I would build a worker there, but you are making archers and warriors in those towns.
That's mainly because the other few turns I produce Settlers there (with the Arabs that's working out nicely.
In shot 2 I see Kurah could be next to that mountain, and it woul be next to fresh water and the sea. And the town center would improve the otherwise not so good dessert tile.
Indeed, I focused to much on the CxxxC placement here :)
In shot 1 If the city has a number of grassland tiles, no food bonuses, and not a lot of bonus grass, I'd just buld a settler, or worker, and not bother with a granary. Such is the case in Atlantis.

Why are buffelo and new york CXC ? I would not have done it that way.
My mistake, there was an opponent explorer on the tile where I wanted to build the city, I messed up and built it in the wrong place.
Get in the habbit of building more workers, your city placement can only be improved with more play. Read Crackers guide to opening moves and try to apply it to all other city's too. calculate a city' power before you plop one down. keep in mind both its short turn and long turn power.

But the way you do your BC turns right now you should be able to win in regent diffeculty.
Thx for all the advice! It's really helpful. And it increases the joy of playing :).

Not really. First you do not want to get into Modern Age, but if you do you do not need metros all over the place normally.

If you do make a few hospitals, you can steal tiles from surrounding cities and they can do the same as you push out to the crappier cities. No need to get all the way to 21 tiles though. 14 or so should be enough for a few of the best.

And normally, a 12 citizen core city gets to 40-50 shields per turn with factory, powerplant and all railroads.
This is good to make most units in 2 turns, or 3 turns for the somewhat lesser cities with 27 or 34 spt. (swich tiles between cities to get them at those magic numbers) It would be usefull to have 100spt cities to make units in 1 turn, but it is not usefull to make 75 spt cities.
100spt may be possible with 21 citizens, but i think if you go something in between, many cities will just not be able to make units in 1 turn.

All in all, smaller cities will produce less shield overflow in unit production, and it will be easier to move tiles between them to optimize their production for what units they produce.

That is of course an added benefit. The main reason is that you won't need to waste resources on hospitals and the advantage you get from tight placement during the long time before you even can build hospitals.

Do you trade Techs you developed for pure gold from the AI?
And I am now playing a game - it is almost AD - and I get the feeling that building more units is unnecessary because it is requires too much maintenance cost (I am republic and have 28 cities, still a few settlers underway to conquer all the land on my continent and dromons (the Byzanthines) to conquer an island off the coast. science is at 50% and luxury at 10%.
I think building a library would be a good idea for the border towns or is that all wrong thinking? And is switching cities to producing Wealth a good option?

Sell techs for gold whenever it is possible to allow deficit research. In the early game i often have so many workers (and almost nothing else!) that i can only break even at 40% science, but by selling techs i can often sustaine a 100% research rate.

You need to conquesr more land to pay for your troops. If you don't fight wars, don't build many troops. You can win the game both peacefully and as a warmonger, but some heavy warmongering is optimal for any VC.

As Wacken sais it is best to ICS conquered land for long-term developement and hire scientists. Lots of towns will also help with your unit support cost. If you are not planning a long game (i.e. you are about to crush them in less then 30-40 turns) you can skip ICSing and just hire as many scienitsts/taxmen as you can in existing corrupt towns. And if you don't want tedous MM, just don't do anything with corrupt towns. If you want to use ICS put all corrupt towns on workers and settlers, after you are done put them on wealth. If you don't plan ICSing, put them on wealth as soon as you conquer them.

Libraries only help with research when they are in your core. In corrupt land the only use for them is to expand borders. In outliing areas economicaly it is best to fill culture gaps with settlers, but you can use libs or temples (whatever is cheaper for your civ) to grab coastal tiles when they cannot be grabbed by settling to get domination faster (coastal tiles count into domination limit). Also if you are close to a domination victory (so that new settlers won't pay off, but not that close that your borders won't have time to expand) you can rush culutre instead of settlers where it gives you more tiles per gold spent.

Building "wealth" is almost wasted before Economics. Economics doubles the gold produced.

No, it doesn't. You'll get exactly 1 coin from a corrupted city in either case :p

Sir_Lancelot said:
Building "wealth" is almost wasted before Economics. Economics doubles the gold produced.

Sometimes there is nothing more useful to be done in a 100% corrupt town.

Hmz. Just for fun I'll post my game so far here. It's currently already AD but anyway. I have 37 cities and luckily I found out about "CivAssist II", because otherwise I think I would become mad trying to MM every town. :king:

Attachments

• ByzantinesRegentlast.SAV
    140.7 KB · Views: 50
WackenOpenAir said:
And notice, you only get 1 shield in a totally corrupt city. That is converted to 1 gold. Economics isn't needed for that :)

Yes if totally corrupted. But sometimes they are somewhat better than that.

Top Bottom