Warlords- What is it good for, absolutely nothing ugh!

Older than Dirt said:
Better wait to buy Warlords until it has been patched at least once. I am not sure that I can bring myself to buy a game with such a stupid name.
Reminds me of "Attack of the Clones". ;-)

Wodan

Sevo Mod is just a mod that do not have pure custom leaderheads, with there own custom animations, there custom true quote, and there custom looks. If you may have not notice, Firaxis made this game, they allow us to mod it. They made expansion sets to add new stuff for us to mod with, if you do not like expansions, your one strange kid.

For comparison purposes you can't go past an official product. I'm talking about HOF, GOTM etc. Also it's a pretty fair bet that all future patches will be for Warlords and not the vanilla game.

vilemerchant said:
Also it's a pretty fair bet that all future patches will be for Warlords and not the vanilla game.
Hmmm, that wouldn't surprise me. Tech support on this game is so laughable. I wouldn't put it past them to no longer support software that was released to the public 6 months ago. This would also be a marketing strategy forcing someone to buy the expansion to fix the game. IF there is a such thing as market tyranny, 2K has been doing its homework.

Eternalsteelfan said:
Firaxis has also implemented our ideas based on polls and popular opinion on the forums. I've experienced nothing in terms of bad quality in Civ4. Sure modders are great, but I'll take an expansion anyday.
The highlighted part is so much a plain lie that I can only assume that you are working for Firaxis.

vilemerchant said:
For comparison purposes you can't go past an official product. I'm talking about HOF, GOTM etc. Also it's a pretty fair bet that all future patches will be for Warlords and not the vanilla game.

your right there they have said already that the warlords will have the last patch for civ4 and after there first cock up I don't think warlords will need patching.

I agree that Warlord may be good for nothing IF the sluggish/memory leak problem still can't be solved.
If such problem can't be solved, it is meaningless to add other features.

Commander Bello said:
The highlighted part is so much a plain lie that I can only assume that you are working for Firaxis.

I can only assume you have rocks in your head.

He said he hasn't had any problems with Civ4. How can you think you know better than him whether he has any problems?

Cool thread title, but isn't your real question not if Warlords will be any good, but if $30 is too much for what you get?

Granted there are many cool mods for free and I love the ones I use, but the Warlords upgrade is the official game version and that does carry some weight at least in my decision making process.

I'll be down to pick up my copy as soon as it come in. :)

Nowadays, like many movies that make most of their money from the sequels, game companies break even or close with the original games. They reap profits from the expansions. If I think the original games are great, a lot of time I buy their expansions, provided that the reviews are decent, essentially to reward the game companies for their good work.

Remember, the Sevomod would not have existed if Firaxis doesn't make the game highly moddable. So you want to penalize the company for their good work?

Also, a decent expansion will likely give me another 100+ hrs of fun. $30 bucks (and usually I wait a couple of months for most expansions to get them even cheaper) is good enough for what? 4-5 crappy Hollywood movies which torture me 10 hrs?

My goodness, the fanboys certainly get vocal when some naysayer dares say something negative about Civ 4 and Firaxis, don't they?

Firaxis composes of a team of highly skilled and well paid programmers working 40+hours a week to deliver the complosery expansion pack.

Sevomod composes of one person (Sevo) working part time in his spare time to put up a free mod to which he gets some written thanks but not a dime.

In order to get Civ4 even working in the first plave I had to get a new $300 graphics card, even though my old one was less then a year old and played Rome Total War on Huge setting and graphics on maximum. No doubt you fanboys expect Warlords to work "perfectly" too. lmao, Firaxis have demenstrated their (lack of) abilities to get things right first time.

I'll probably buy Warlords eventually... after its been patched... but theres noway Im paying $60 for it and having it not working for months... the story of vanilla Civ 4.

Sevomod is vastly superior to anything Warlords has in it. Fall from Heven is amazing too. Not bad for "amatuers".

I am not sure that I can bring myself to buy a game with such a stupid name.
i dunno, i once owned both "dig dug" and "bubble bobble", not to mention "double dribble" (go frogs!)

Sorry, like the other guy said. I prefer quality over quantity

It's like saying World of Warcraft isn't bland & lame because it has 6 million costumers.

Jasond said:
Sorry, like the other guy said. I prefer quality over quantity

It's like saying World of Warcraft isn't bland & lame because it has 6 million costumers.

That's comparing apples with plums really.

You get tons of stuff with the mods and the glitches are far less than what the vanilla civ came up with when it was released.

The only thing I *really* care about is that I will be able to play the expansion OK. -- The kind of work and frustration I've been through to get the vanilla edition to run OK is usually something I get paid to do, not something I pay to do in my spare time.

And that's something some of you seem to forget: most players around the world aren't downloading, installing and perhaps troubleshooting mods; and would never think of writing one themself.

Most players just want to double click the icon and play. -- An expansion is what "they" want at this time; another icon to click and play some more, with something new. Horray!

Personally, I look forward to the expansion, because I pretend I will be able to install, double click and play. As an IT Pro and father of two, playing civ is something I do for recreation late in the evening; I don't want *any* software related trouble at that time.

But most importantly, the title for this thread is the best.

King Flevance said:
Hmmm, that wouldn't surprise me. Tech support on this game is so laughable. I wouldn't put it past them to no longer support software that was released to the public 6 months ago. This would also be a marketing strategy forcing someone to buy the expansion to fix the game. IF there is a such thing as market tyranny, 2K has been doing its homework.
unfortunately Firaxis isn't Blizzard. the support of blizzard games is maybe the best compare to all other companies even if the game is a couple of !!years!! old (see diablo2 and starcraft).
Yarmoss said:
My goodness, the fanboys certainly get vocal when some naysayer dares say something negative about Civ 4 and Firaxis, don't they?
yes, always the same :löl:
i love civ4, it's my favorite game at the moment, but it is good that people complain about bugs and lack of support/patches, else the companies wouldn't change at all and we all have to suffer.

In a perfect world, the ppl from Firaxis would read this thread and start smiling bc the new expansion is totally uber and they just don't tell anyone but blow us away.
In a perfect world, our national team would win the Football World Cup 2006 and not getting their butts kicked out in the preliminaries like it's probably gonna happen. :rolleyes: (sry 4 OT)
I guess we'll have to sit and wait what happens, see if the modders go for warlords and wait for the first patch and let the fanboys rush in an do the beta testing :p

Ok that sounds ungrateful, but I'm not as I stated in the OP. :) Just couldn't resist ^^

Shigga said:
In a perfect world, the ppl from Firaxis would read this thread and start smiling bc the new expansion is totally uber and they just don't tell anyone but blow us away.
In a perfect world, our national team would win the Football World Cup 2006 and not getting their butts kicked out in the preliminaries like it's probably gonna happen. :rolleyes: (sry 4 OT)
I guess we'll have to sit and wait what happens, see if the modders go for warlords and wait for the first patch and let the fanboys rush in an do the beta testing :p

Ok that sounds ungrateful, but I'm not as I stated in the OP. :) Just couldn't resist ^^

not a chance England all the way ;)

Top Bottom