[GS] WARMONGERS wishlist.

Kayak06460

Chieftain
So much attention has been given to diplomacy, culture, religion and science in the updates and expansions to CIV VI, but quite little to the military aspects of the game. I prefer a domination victory more than the other types, but once you arrive at the Industrial Age it’s usually, game over. Whatever happened to adding military units with expansions? Whatever happened to rival civs launching a sea invasion? If the only victory condition you choose is Domination, why don’t AI civs all build armies and invade each other? Do we need a sliding function that can select for aggressiveness? Any warmongers out there have any thoughts or suggestions? Let’s not let Firaxis forget about us.

I'm not a warmonger, but I wish there was some mechanic tied to religion or diplomacy to have true world (or at least regional) wars. Where you really just can't sit on the sidelines during a large scale war. Something that forces you to pick a side, or if you don't, everyone declares war on you.

I think the biggest problem is to fix that it would require a significant change to the games AI not just tweaks. It's the same issue facing the Diplomacy victory. You can tweak bonuses and the like here and there but to truly fix both would require a complete AI overhaul. It would also require them to change the way they do difficulty levels. If you are going to beef up the AI's ability to war then you can't just give the AI more units and resources to start as your answer to raising the difficulty. If you do the AI would just roll you in the first 50 turns every single time. An aggressiveness slider would be a quick fix option but I don't think it would really be a satisfying one. I always play peacefully and hate warring but if the AI ticks me off 99% of the time I can turn on a dime and just wipe them off the map. It's kind of like Switzerland rolling through Russia if they felt like it.

Well, for starters they could fix the AI so it will make anti aircraft units.

I think they have been concentrating on new stuff upmto the last patch, then tried to patch up old design and have made a good start with the AI. The fact the AI needs to see you means you can still bait xbows out of cities. These finer points I guess they have to deal with. Playing with barbs off helps the AI more than you now and on higher levels where they can outstrip your army they will do so to the point they decide it is worth attacking you. But anything that touches water still struggles mightily.

AI has no idea about Naval or Air warfare ( is it because of bad pathfinding ?) , ranged unit protection is an alien concept.
They finally fixed the march of siege units to whatever they were doing.
Hopefully next they will fix some basic concepts like "pikes front , archers behind"

For a "world war" feel, they could implement a kind of formal war that has for effect spawning of independentist/rebel units. Independent units that would attack indicriminaly players, and that would spawn depending of the war weariness (in addition of loyalty effects).

They could also implement alliances effects, where a someone allied with an at war civ would get a share of that civ war weariness, representing the incentive of your citizen to help your faithfull friend in their ordeal.

Top Bottom