Warring is often boring and awfully tiresome

John.B.C

Prince
I like the hexagon map and one unit per tile system.. but... the game would be much more fun with alot less troops to move around...

I never finish my domination victory games since the grind is just too much for me... In the end one could be moving over a hundred pieces, each turn (in later eras) and this is experienced as nothing but a 'chore'. I think this ruins the fun of warring. I only like it in the earlier eras, due to then having a more balanced number of units.

Therefore I choose to play peacefully/defensively most of the time and regret the times I tried going for a domination victory.

How do you feel about it?

The micro is certainly tedious, but I think it's just unfortunately the nature of the beast.

You could go back to BNW lol. Feels like that was the issue back then, not enough time to build units and you had to grind for xp to beat deity AI. In VP you can just throw away units and build them almost as fast as the AI. SO I think you have to move a lot of pieces but there are certainly ways that are more efficient than others, like moving more than one turn worth of movement.

This is the reason why I never play games after renaissance. I play the early and early-mid game and see if I would be likely to win or not. Usually I end up conquering one player and vassalize them, then start another game. It feels more like a chore than fun to play after that (to not war also is boring imo), and since I have other things that I dont love doing but have to do, I'd rather use my leisure time having fun :)

Wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I wish someone made some kind of modmod system like civ 6, where you can merge units into armies/armadas to forego a lot of the micro. Just have less troops as a whole.

A godsend to me was also quick turns, quick movement if you don't have that on OP.

Same here. Also wondering if a Civ-6 like stacking would be enough, or alternatively the option to automate your army... (btw it could be useful to be able to automate everything when you just need to press end turn for 30 turns while waiting for the end of a game).

Same here. Also wondering if a Civ-6 like stacking would be enough, or alternatively the option to automate your army... (btw it could be useful to be able to automate everything when you just need to press end turn for 30 turns while waiting for the end of a game).
You can always put all your units into sleep and all your cities into processes. Then you only have to pick policies, do world congress stuff and handle diplomacy.

Late game when your units have lots of promotions you can sweep through all AIs easily anyway. There's no need to bring ALL your units into a war.

I like them but above emperor they become too grindy even for me.
I've tried to play peaceful games but it just feels like nothing happens.

I guess there must be a way to decrease military supply for all players. Reduce it in half and you should see fewer units in the field.
That'll just make me start using processes before Renaissance :lol:

These wishes of "having less troops to move around" or "the option to automate your army" are totally alien to me. The whole point of the game (at least for me) is to optimize everything to get an edge over the AI. If you find managing combat to be a chore, you basically don't benefit from one of the best aspects of VP, the superior combat AI.

If there's less troops in play, each matter more, and tactical combat becomes more important. I'm sure it would make warring a lot easier for humans, but I'd love to try an alternative gamemode where unit quantity is reduced 80-90% (but you'd have to change a bunch of other stuff too, like city-strength). Managing a carpet of units isn't very fun, but you kind of have to now that the AI is better.

Late game when your units have lots of promotions you can sweep through all AIs easily anyway. There's no need to bring ALL your units into a war.

In my latest game on diety, you couldn't just sweep through the enemy as you suggest. Even though one of them (France) had the lesser technologies, they had so many extreme bonuses that I had to postpone a war due to my invasion (bringing all my troops) coming to a complete standstill. Worth having in mind was that I had already conquered 3 other AI's.

I then hadn't even began my war on Sweden whom at the time had conquered halv of the world - having twice as many units as me!

These wishes of "having less troops to move around" or "the option to automate your army" are totally alien to me. The whole point of the game (at least for me) is to optimize everything to get an edge over the AI. If you find managing combat to be a chore, you basically don't benefit from one of the best aspects of VP, the superior combat AI.

I do understand why automation would be alien to anyone. I'm a player who won't even automate my workers (never have). I very much enjoy micromanging since it gives me a sense of having control, but when it comes to moving around 100 units each turn - even I have reached my limit of what I consider to be 'fun' and instead end up with a feeling of disgust and it all being a chore.

I still think there's a sweetspot where this feeling wouldn't arise (of course not agreed by completely everybody). Maybe around 30-40 units (I don't know). But there are probably other ways to rework the system too that noone has yet put any effort into doing, other than just cutting down 'supply limit'. Stacking is one suggestion.

I don't expect it to be done though, since I imagine that it would require quite the work, but one could always keep dreaming of this day, eh? Because in the end, I think most agree, that warring is very enjoyable in the early stages - just not so - when one is later overhelmed by the number of units that's to be handled each turn.

Last edited:
For me warring is the most fun aspect of VP, but it may be tiring to move too many units every turn. It would be great to have these:
  • Rally points for cities - I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but in case someone doesn't get it, you set a tile for a city as a rally point and every unit made in the city has an order to go to this tile automatically.
  • Select multiple units and command them to move to a tile. When the tile is occupied (before making the command or after some units moved), the units don't ask for another command, they go to a nearest unoccupied tie. They only ask for another command, when hey reach the tile or can't get any closer. It would make moving big armies to another end of continent much more convenient.
  • Allow automation for units - not just for scouting, but for attacking also. AI combat it pretty good, maybe it could be used here?
I don't really expect any of these to actually be done, but it may inspire someone to do something like this as a modmod.

For me warring is the most fun aspect of VP, but it may be tiring to move too many units every turn. It would be great to have these:
  • Rally points for cities - I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but in case someone doesn't get it, you set a tile for a city as a rally point and every unit made in the city has an order to go to this tile automatically.
  • Select multiple units and command them to move to a tile. When the tile is occupied (before making the command or after some units moved), the units don't ask for another command, they go to a nearest unoccupied tie. They only ask for another command, when hey reach the tile or can't get any closer. It would make moving big armies to another end of continent much more convenient.
I don't really expect any of these to actually be done, but it may inspire someone to do something like this as a modmod.

Yeah I've been thinking about these two as well, rally points (setting a target) and a sort of grouping of units together, thus having several units move by a single command - if this is would be possible to code in whatever way, it would make a world of difference.

I like these ideas more than lowering the unit supply.

For me, the more, the merrier

I love the grind and commanding huge armies, executing simultaneous operations in different parts of the map.

What I dislike is moving units back to the base AFTER the war. And my biggest gripe with the game is the constant open borders / gimme 1 horse for 1 gpt spam from AIs in the late game.

Lower supply caps could be a way to go at it (in a submod for instance)

I also found my games more enjoyable when playing by opting to "Small" for Strategic Deposit Size in the communitu_79 options. Less strategic resources means a more decisive advantage when you have them and cut off their supply.

Lower supply caps could be a way to go at it (in a submod for instance)

I also found my games more enjoyable when playing by opting to "Small" for Strategic Deposit Size in the communitu_79 options. Less strategic resources means a more decisive advantage when you have them and cut off their supply.

That heavily favours the human though, the AI arent as cerebral when it comes to pillaging strategic resources

Top Bottom