1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Way into R&F, still not playing efficiently...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by riddleofsteel, Mar 13, 2018.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

I never really got that good at 6 vanilla, but I couldn't resist getting Rise and Fall when it came out. I've never won a game, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Does everybody claim each city they conquer or free city they claim? Also, do you all upgrade your cities as you go along piecemeal/ad hoc, or do you wait until a specific time or policy card? Thanks!

2. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

I tend to claim cities in good spot if they are out of place I destroy them and build my own city (depended on the amount of districts the city has). Free cities can be used to reduce your warmongering status, if you give them back. The government build I only upgrade if I need a new governor, I am about to swap governments or run out of other stuff to build. Some governor abilities are better than others but after the first 2-3 governor placements its not that big of a priority to me. Lots of times I get the governor upgrade well after I do not need them (unless I am going for a culture victory).

Play on prince and look at the victory tab for what you have to do get specific victory types. Culture victory is the more complex one to get. Religious and military victories are the easiest.

3. riddleofsteel

Hi. Thanks for your ideas! I really think my weakest spot is in logistics/organization so far. I'll try again!

4. earlc

earlc Warlord

What difficulty are you playing on? Do you have any specific issues the AI is beating you at, or is it just not reaching a victory condition in time? Which victory conditions are you pursuing?

Honestly, on prince or lower you don't need to be that efficient at picking and choosing which cities to take, or optimizing. Maybe even king or higher depending on the civ. Something else is probably going awry.

5. riddleofsteel

I usually get to renaissance or industrial at the latest and kinda lose my marbles as to what I should do next. I'm mostly a military player and by then I don't really know what to do with my own cities, say nothing of all the other ones I've gobbled up. At that point I just lose steam.

6. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Once you learn the Magnus Chop the game becomes soooooooo much easier.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Yeah this game doesn't have governors like past game to build things for you.

Just build enough commercial districts with at least market places and traders to keep your war economy going.

Enough campuses to stay up with the ai as much as you can.

riddleofsteel likes this.
  8. Jackanape

Jackanape Warlord

If you enjoy the military aspect of the game, then go for a proper Domination victory. It will give you a challenge and you can sleep satisfied with that first win.

In Civ VI, you only need to capture the original capitals of your opponents, so there's no need to roll through them like a carpet, keeping all their cities. If you REALLY want to be a warmonger throughout, just raze those cities you dont want to keep, otherwise you can return them or even trade them away to keep your empire personally manageable.

The first time I realized I only.needed the capitals, it made for one of.my most challenging and fun victories. I hope that works for you, as well!

9. Esperr

Esperr King

Keep em all, especially if it already has a ch, campus or theatre. If its a complete trash snowball then sure, raise it, but every city just looks like another campus that doesn't know it yet.

craney1987 likes this.
  10. riddleofsteel

I usually play on King. Regarding the Magnus chop thing, do you just use him in a city until you've chopped all you're going to, and then rotate him on to the next city? Thanks.

11. Jackanape

Jackanape Warlord

I think that's the general idea. I always forget about Magnus--plus im a poor planner, and by the time I want to chop, I NEED to chop and can't wait.

Lian, on the other hand, I move all over the place both for the fisheries and the parks! There's never an urgent need for those...

12. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Prince

Let the dirt tell you which way the game should go. 2 Horses in easy reach of your Cap or Cap and First Expansion-Horseman rush the continent! Sweet district spots with huge adjacency bonuses-get them built and watch as you progressively outpace the other Civs. Neighbor on your doorstep-declare on him before he's ready to declare on you, because they will declare on you.

Opinions vary but I always start Scout. I want the Huts, I want to meet the City-States first, I want to know where my Settlers are headed before I even start building them. Rush stuff that provides you a benefit every Turn after completion and slow build the things that can wait. Every hammer is precious so try to multiply them whenever you can and don't drop a city where there's no hammers to be found. Magnus is the ultimate traveling hammer multiplier.

Don't let a Barb Camp near Horses go unattended to, unless they are nearer your pesky neighbor in which case let them spawn. I've had Barbs peel the walls off my enemy and make them a sitting duck for my forces. Of course I have also had Barbs do the same to me.

riddleofsteel, King Rad and Jackanape like this.
  13. riddleofsteel

Wow, thank you! Good stuff to digest here. Has anyone else noticed how terrible map generation seems to be since R&F? I always seem to start on the butt end of a peninsula with two other civs right up my nose even on large maps.

14. Jackanape

Jackanape Warlord

LOL yeah that keeps happening...I parlayed it into my first successful Georgia game, though, by wiping out two opponents in the first 50 turns and working my empire after that...

15. earlc

earlc Warlord

You don't need the magnus chop near-exploit to win on King, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nerfed sometime in the future.

If you're losing steam around the renaissance or industrial era, you're probably not setting up your cities to make the most of your yields. As another said, make sure to build commercial hubs or harbors in pretty much every city (though you don't have to do it in every city immediately) and then max out your traders to bring in more gold, food, hammers. Also make sure you're improving tiles sufficiently, and take note of which cities have tiles that lend themselves to greater production, and make those cities your main producers. Specialize certain cities based on the terrain you're given.

If you're conquering cities and keeping them, just accept that many of them won't be of much use, so don't waste your time trying to make them into your next capital. Focus on having them produce something useful, like commercial hubs/harbors and entertainment districts.

Depending on the number of your own cities you start with, you probably only want to have 2 campus districts. You'll conquer capitals with ok campus districts later anyway.

16. riddleofsteel

Thanks, folks! I just smacked out my first domination victory as Shaka. I felt pretty good about all of it, except that cities became a real mess in short order and I have to admit that at times I was grabbing at straws for what to build or improve. Also, amenities and happiness became SUCH an issue from mid-game until almost the end. What sorts of things make your cities more unhappy that I can look out for in the future? And how can you manage negative amenities without nerfing your cities production or science? Like, I usually have to switch policy cards and stop what I'm doing to build sports arenas. Thanks again for all your help, I think I'm going to try religious victory next.

LobstaBoy likes this.
  17. rallymonkey1982

rallymonkey1982 Chieftain

I've learned a lot by going to the strategy forum and watching some of the Let's Play videos. I'm still not a very efficient player, but watching those videos has taught me a lot about how to set up cities and plan ahead.

LobstaBoy likes this.
  18. cvb

cvb Prince

For beginners I would recommend SB Plays Civilization 6: Rise And Fall 01 - Let's Learn Something on youtube.

You can also search there for "Marbozir Civilization 6".

Some time (well, a lot) later I'd recommend: Civ 6: Rise&Fall - T103 Deity Domination - Mongolia - by civtrader6. Be sure, you understand then the most game mechanics and are ready to stop and go through the video (with automatic text/subtitles on), because it is very compact information.

(The problem with the most civ6-videos on youtube is the same as with recent music etc ... the people "have fun" making them, but making good videos is HARD work.)

19. riddleofsteel

Thank you for the links! Holy crap, religious play is taking me a while to get the hang of. Do you by chance know of a good lets play video doing a religious victory? Thanks again for all the help!

EDIT: Whoops! Found one. The person making the video is using India who I'm not fond of, was thinking of using Spain or Russia, but I'll check it out.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  20. cvb

cvb Prince

You can check out the new R&F FilthyRobot videos, they are non-militaristic on purpose ... Search on youtube for "FilthyRobot Civ 6 RaF Game".

Unfortunately it is unmissable, that he is bored with civ6, unhappy with his life or whatever ... You know, it's a little bit like the matches of Ronnie O'Sullivan: if he is in good form, you get the best magical Snooker show ever ... but if not, well ...

You can also check it simply yourself:
    Nearly always it is better to move the warrior before touching the settler (cf. Aljechin/Alekhine: bishops before knights ;)) ... so, if you see the first city (immediately) founded and _then_ reflections about where to move the warrior, you can just as well skip to the next video.