Ways you manage multi-part games

Gotrilliten

Warlord
I am really bad about never finishing a game if I have to stop half-way through a game for any more than a few hours, mostly because it is harder to asses your situation then if you were you playing it from the beginning. Is there anything you do to help you keep up with things to make it easier to come back to, or just general tips in general for multi-session games?

I think it would significantly help my gameplay if I was able to take more time on my game. I am also doing a playthrough on the Strategy forums to help with this (SHAMELESS PLUG :mischief:).

I have the same problem. If I can play a game straight through in, say, 4-6 hours, I do it, but often that is not possible. Trying to stop, save, and pick up again is really difficult. Often in my case I only get 1 day per week to play, sometimes two, so sometimes there will be almost a week between sessions and in that case I have little desire to pick it up again. One thing I have found that helped a lot was to write a note to myself upon saving the game - write down what's generally going on diplomatically, what I'm doing with my cities, my short term plans, long term plans, and anything to look out for.

I have a file on my computer titled "now playing". It has notepad notes on whatever games I have in progress that I think I might not get back to in time to be able to pick up where I left off. I've also noticed that with civ if I update that note every few turns even if I'm playing straight through I tend to get better results.

I have a file on my computer titled "now playing". It has notepad notes on whatever games I have in progress that I think I might not get back to in time to be able to pick up where I left off. I've also noticed that with civ if I update that note every few turns even if I'm playing straight through I tend to get better results.

Same here. I also attach screenies of key locations that would need my attention when ever I can return to the game at hand. Comes in real handy when your playing huge+ maps with lots of civs.

I just thought I should mention that it is also possible to place a lot of signs around your capitol by [ALT + S] and then click where you want to place the sign. Write important notes on those signs. Next time you start up the game, the signs will be there (as you center on the capitol when loading the game...).

The keywords from the signs should be enough to get your mind into gear, remembering what you were doing. Of course, once you do remember... just [ALT + S] and click on a sign to remove it from the map again...

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway :)

The keywords from the signs should be enough to get your mind into gear, remembering what you were doing.

I find that my mental transmission is no longer fit for a sports car and getting my mind into gear involves a lot of double clutching and grinding...the signs are a little small for my needs! ;)

Yup, I wouldn't be able to get through a single game without Alt+S signs.

However, I find that the message box for them is too small to really get myself to remember my general strategy.

I think I might give this a try.

I find that my mental transmission is no longer fit for a sports car and getting my mind into gear involves a lot of double clutching and grinding...the signs are a little small for my needs! ;)

The Power of the Mind.... :D

My car is a Ferrari, my car is a Ferrari, My car is a Ferrari....:hammer2: (damn, it didn't work... :cry:)

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway :)

lol, yeah. I'll think I'll just stick with my old Ford Bronco method.. Seems to work for me. I'll use the ALT-S method occasionally, but since I wear bifocals- well, let's just say it sometimes causes more problems than helps.

You can use the "chat to all" feature to take notes. There's a character limit to each post you make this way, but they'll appear in order when you go back to reload the game.

I've experimented with doing this when I want to record my own in-game events (A unit winning a battle, a diplomatic interaction with an AI, etc.)

You can use the "chat to all" feature to take notes.

:confused:

This calls for looking into. Must be in the 'multi-player' section of the manual, which I've never had any reason to look at before.

EDIT: Okay, this is a major bonanza. Thanks yturk for the info, and gotrilliten for starting the thread.

neat little feature "CTL+TAB". Comes in real handy when I forgot what quest I was doing.

Top Bottom