[We the People] Development "diary"

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Nov 23, 2018.

1. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder Supporter

Current situation for several team members is not necessarily easy.
    (Real life, jobs, health, ... each of us has some burden to carry.)

So at the moment, our main priority is basically to prevent the fire from going out. Keeping a small flame alive.
    We are keeping the doors open for our other team members to return again and new modders to come in as well.

We are still modding. We are still here. We try to keep up the spirit and try to recover our motivation and energy.
    Good things need their time but if something is worth it, it will be fought for even if it is not always easy ...

Thus please have some patience even though things seem to take forever ... there is progress. :)
    Game development ... and modding is nothing else than unpaid game development ... needs its time.

2. devolution

devolution Prince

Here's a quick update from me:

I recently ported two features from BTS mods to the Plains branch:

1) "Cease bothering us" from RevDCM. This feature add a new option to the diplomacy dialogue box which instructs the AI to not contact the player until explicitly re-enabled by the player. Think of this as a way to pause\suspend the initiation of AI diplo requests. This is probably a necessity on the larger maps since most of the diplomatic requests from the AI are fairly uninteresting IMHO.

2) Pathfinding for hypothetical units from Caveman 2 Cosmos. Allows the AI to consider paths for units that do not currently exist. For example, when determining if a coastal transport should be built, the AI could trace a hypothetical path for it to determine if another coastal city is reachable. The result could then potentially veto the production of said vessel if no such path exists.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Mr. ZorG and raystuttgart like this.
  3. raystuttgart

Sounds like a neat feature for some players. :thumbsup:
    Maybe post images about it, so players see how it looks?

Sounds like a good base capability for AI. :thumbsup:
    Maybe it could one day also help to improve "Automated Transportation System"? :think:

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  4. raystuttgart

@Arkona has updated the German "Readme" for us.
    (He adapted the English Readme changes of @Kendon and fixed a few bugs in the German version.)

Thanks for willingness to invest the effort.
    Also thanks for the self-initiative.

It is highly appreciated. :thumbsup:

5. Lmk

Lmk Chieftain

Hi dear modders, it is great to see you so productive atm. I am really looking forward to the next stable release. Actually I am on pause with playing the game for some months now, I even think I won't touch it again until the new version is done. I wanna say thank you already for everything you have achieved so far, I cant shake of the feeling that after the new release it is going to be a very different game. Hopefully you are having fun modding and make it through the boring parts well...
    Danke Leute und liebe Grüße

raystuttgart likes this.
  6. raystuttgart

Thanks, nice words are always appreciated. :)
    To the rest I am not sure what to say actually. :dunno:

Simply because I neither want to make promises nor sound negative.
    Also I could only speak for myself and do not know what the others feel or think.

The most honest I might say is this:
    Spoiler :

Modding is a very strange mixture of ...
    • motivation and apathy
    • dedication and indifference
    • success and failure
    • progress and stagnation
    • fun and grind
    • hope and despair
    • cooperation and selfishness
    • commitment and negligence
    • reliability and broken promises
    • team spirit and loneliness
    There is no telling if your own motivation and perseverance will suffice.
    Modding is a constant fight against the weak and lazy part of yourself.

And let us be realistic, modding is not the most important thing in the world.
    It is just a hobby. Real life like job, health, family and friends always have higher priority.

Thus there are a million excuses not to mod today and also not to mod tomorrow.
    And it is a challenge to find that one reason strong enough to do it anyways.

However there is not much extrinsic that really motivates. Neither money, nor fame.
    The only thing that might truly motivate you is intrinsic. Some may call it passion.

But that small flame of passion is fragile. And sometimes it is easily extinguished by the cold wind of frustration.
    And once extinguished it is very very difficult to spark it again. Especially while the wind is still blowing.

So it is best to always keep a tiny flame alive and to protect it even if it is hard to do so.
    But if you want to keep it alive you need to feed it with positive emotions from time to time.

At the moment all I care about is to keep my small flame of passion alive by having a bit of fun.
    Once we have a large fire again that is a more resilient to cold winds we might talk about more again.

So let us see what happens ...
    Let us see if there will be fire again ...
    Let us see how many flames of passion there still are to get it burning ...
    Let us see how many flames that have been extinguished we can spark again ...
    Let us see if there are new flames we can spark and how light they burn ...

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Mr. ZorG and Lmk like this.
  7. Lmk

Lmk Chieftain

Hehe Ray you sly old philosophing fox...
    See I am glad for you though, that you have this hobby, which doesn´t just fill yourself with passion but also has the effect (when done) to fill other peoples lifes with some of it.
    Of course this goes for all of you modders.

It seems to me that the thin line of balance you have described above applies to many parts of life as well.
    For example just try to put "Raising children" in front of your description:

• motivation and apathy
    • dedication and indifference
    • success and failure
    • progress and stagnation
    • fun and grind
    • hope and despair
    • cooperation and selfishness
    • commitment and negligence
    • reliability and broken promises
    • team spirit and loneliness
    See the similarities?
    But maybe this means that modding is a little bit more than a hobby for you....

Anyways, have a nice weekend!

8. raystuttgart

Hi guys,

as you see this old modder is still around and has not yet completely lost his motivation.
    So I am still working on my ideas and hoping to inspire some others to also be active.

---------

Currently my main focus is finishing branch "Yields", which I consider the actual completion of "Plains".
    Actually for me branch "Plains" feels shallow and empty without the content of "Yields" on top.

e.g. "Plains" introduced all the new Terrains + Terrain Features which in "Plains" just have sligthly different balancing.
    But only "Yields" gives them actual new gameplay of their own i.e. their own Yields + Resources + Production Chains.

---------

Of course, there is also Release Candidate 3.0.2 which should be finished and published. And then of course it should also be merged.
    But since I completely lost overview which fixes and improvements it contains, I restrain from any statements related to it.

---------

Otherwise I feel that this mod has fallen in a strange nirvana of "nobody knows what is really going on".
    There is hardly any communication anymore, there are hardly any public commits anymore, there is hardly any posts anymore ...

Thus I am not sure how far we can and want to take this mod, since internally it has become pretty silent.
    (e.g. Currently I have no idea if I find the motivation to finish my prototype stuff in "Crime and Law" after "Yields".)

For me, this again strongly feels like the last days of TAC or like the last days of RaR to be honest. Lack of activity and lack of team spirit.
    But on the other hand it has felt like this again and again in WTP ... and then there was always a stupid idiot that continued anyways.

---------

Summary:

For Release Candidate 3.0.2 it would be great if we might eventually get it published so we can finally merge it into "Plains".
    For "Plains" + "Yields" I will continue working on them, still hoping we might eventually also publish them one day.

Generally the status is still pretty much unchanged since end of last year.
    So I simply continue my modding and wait and see what happens ...

But I still dream of what this mod could become.
    And I still want to achieve at least a little bit of that.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Elirector, Lmk, bogwart and 2 others like this.