Weak, insignificant little AI nations are obsessed

Red Ant

Chieftain
with declaring war on nations on other continents, even if they don't even have a way of GETTING THERE. I'm constantly seeing tiny 1 city minors DOW other 1 city minors halfway across the globe, and it doesn't seem to matter a damn to them that neither side even has the transport capacity to get its troops to the battlefield. I mean why would the Assyrians pick a fight with a civ that's on a whole nother continent when they don't even possess a coastal city (and hence no transport ships)?

I think the AI is altogether a tad too aggressive. They seem to have no actual objectives in mind when declaring war, because even IF the aforementioned Assyrians could actually get to the enemy and take a city from them, they'd be able to hold it for all of 10 turns at the most before losing it to the inevitable rebellion / barbarian onslaught. Could the devs make the AI a little smarter about war aims and maybe tone down the AI's testosterone level? :)

with declaring war on nations on other continents, even if they don't even have a way of GETTING THERE. I'm constantly seeing tiny 1 city minors DOW other 1 city minors halfway across the globe, and it doesn't seem to matter a damn to them that neither side even has the transport capacity to get its troops to the battlefield. I mean why would the Assyrians pick a fight with a civ that's on a whole nother continent when they don't even possess a coastal city (and hence no transport ships)?

I think the AI is altogether a tad too aggressive. They seem to have no actual objectives in mind when declaring war, because even IF the aforementioned Assyrians could actually get to the enemy and take a city from them, they'd be able to hold it for all of 10 turns at the most before losing it to the inevitable rebellion / barbarian onslaught. Could the devs make the AI a little smarter about war aims and maybe tone down the AI's testosterone level? :)

Are you talking about MINOR civs? Because that's what they do. They are designed to be at war until they develop into full civs.

Ah, no sorry, I shouldn't have used the term "minor". It's a carryover from my days as a Europa Universalis zealot. :) No, I don't mean minor civs; I meant normal, full-fledged, but very very weak civilizations.

Mmmm... then it's strange; which settings are you using? Mapscript, mapsize, handicap and gamespeed? I'm currently testing a game; huge map, blitz speed, noble level, it's about 1000 BC, I know 10 civs, half of them only have 1 city but there's no war going on at the moment.

I'm playing on a normal-sized "perfect world 2" map. Time scale is the slowest setting available. Difficulty is "Noble". And it's not just my current game either. It's the same in pretty much every game I play (always with the same settings).

I'm playing on a normal-sized "perfect world 2" map. Time scale is the slowest setting available. Difficulty is "Noble". And it's not just my current game either. It's the same in pretty much every game I play (always with the same settings).

Then it could be something about gamespeed, which is the main thing different between your games and mine. I'll have to investigate but undoubtely a more deep balance work will be done once we add the new tech tree and as I've typed somewhere else I'll need cooperation to test everything. For the moment, thank you for your report; not much I can do right now, but it's something it will have to be addressed.

Maybe the nation that was declared on is at war with another, larger nation? Then the larger nation might have bribed one small nation to declare on the other one. The AI loves to do that.
Of course, in the end it is just as pointless as before, but now someone else is to blame.:p

How many time have you in a game been asked to declare war on another AI that the one asking is worst enemy of. And then if you do, you find out the asking AI is no longer at war or never was. They suckered you into it. Especially if they are half way around the world and you happen to be next door neighbor to the AI the don't like. See this all the time.

JosEPh

How many time have you in a game been asked to declare war on another AI that the one asking is worst enemy of.
Since I play with barbarian world on giant sice, after a while there are as many civs as the game supports (~40). So to answer your question - every other turn...

How many time have you in a game been asked to declare war on another AI that the one asking is worst enemy of...

Like Zorn, nearly every other turn.

The result, of course, is that you can maintain friendly relationships with very few civs, due to the diplo' penalty for declaring war on us, or on a friend, or refusing the war help request. Eventually most of the relationship indicator faces go red, and you have to work hard to maintain the few green ones you have left.

I assume you can get around the diplo penalty if you chose the option "cease bothering us" (which, for some reason has to be clicked on twice to be in effect.
Also, it`s undone after you load a game.
But it shuts them up for good.

In the BUG menu under diplomacy, there is peace, war, religions I turn off all 3 which means you can't ask other civs to declare war or make peace with other civs or change their religion. I also turn off other diplomacy features such as unit trading/maps/workers/vassals/corporation hq/gold per turn/maps it makes it a bit more fair for AI imo and I find it makes the whole diplomacy feature in the game a bit more realistic.

In the BUG menu under diplomacy, there is peace, war, religions I turn off all 3 which means you can't ask other civs to declare war or make peace with other civs or change their religion. I also turn off other diplomacy features such as unit trading/maps/workers/vassals/corporation hq/gold per turn/maps it makes it a bit more fair for AI imo and I find it makes the whole diplomacy feature in the game a bit more realistic.

Hmm, I think that the option to ask others to make peace / declare war is realistic, but I feel that the AI is willing to whore itself out for offers that are WAY too light. Many times I have in excess of 50,000 gold in my treasury, and all it takes to get the AI to declare war on an opponent several times its own size is a couple thousand gold (sometimes as little as 500). Conversely, if you ask them to make peace with someone, they suddenly want half your treasury, your playstation 4 and a ticket to Disneyworld. :eek:

I feel it should probably be the other way around. Asking people to join potentially ruinous wars should cost you a lot more, or maybe the AI should be a lot more wary about doing it at all.

Hmm, I think it's a good thing that the option to ask others to make peace / declare war is realistic, but I feel to that the AI is willing to whore itself out for offers that are WAY too light. Many times I have in excess of 50,000 gold in my treasury, and all it takes to get the AI to declare war on an opponent several times its own size is a couple thousand gold (sometimes as little as 500). Conversely, if you ask them to make peace with someone, they suddenly want half your treasury, your playstation 4 and a ticket to Disneyworld. :eek:

I feel it should probably the other way around. Asking people to join potentially ruinous wars should cost you a lot more, or maybe the AI should be a lot more way about doing it at all.

I think you could be right and I'm considering this, if I'm able to change the code. But I also think you shouldn't have an excess of 50k gold so often. What game settings are you using (mapsize, gamespeed and handicap)?

45°38'N-13°47'E;12732918 said:
I think you could be right and I'm considering this, if I'm able to change the code. But I also think you shouldn't have an excess of 50k gold so often. What game settings are you using (mapsize, gamespeed and handicap)?

Same as in the other thread. ;) Noble / slowest pace / normal-sized "perfect world 2" map.

@45*,
In C2C the slowest game speed games Do accumulate more gold than faster game speeds. Even with repeated manipulations the longer games just give you more time to overcome deficits and build a substantial Treasury. What I didn't see Red Ant post was how quickly his Gold reached the 50K level. (And in Ren and Ind Eras in C2C a 50K treasury was not a big deal or even thought of as large on Snail or slower).

JosEPh

@45*,
In C2C the slowest game speed games Do accumulate more gold than faster game speeds. Even with repeated manipulations the longer games just give you more time to overcome deficits and build a substantial Treasury. What I didn't see Red Ant post was how quickly his Gold reached the 50K level. (And in Ren and Ind Eras in C2C a 50K treasury was not a big deal or even thought of as large on Snail or slower).

JosEPh

Ya a overblown treasury in c2c was more like 1,000,000 :gold:

Man I hated how you could run 100% science for most of the game (improved now), was so dumb imo.

Caveman 2 Cosmos. It's another BTS mod, I believe the ROM:AND developers are incorporating aspects of it. It has its own forum on this site.

Top Bottom