Weak UAs

I've once mentioned using England's UA for Embarked units before in Vanilla CiV. Between the hate posts and the "lol, noob, you embark?!? durr," it apparently didn't get very far.

England's UA is absolutely fantastic for waging war in any situation where you can use water to get from one place to another. It doesn't have to be Archipelago, it doesn't have to even be ocean tiles. You can use Embarking to move any Ancient Era unit from one place to another at 4 move across water if you're England., even across a large inland lake. This includes Workers and Settlers, which kind of argues for England wanting to have a coastline-type setup.

It's useful to use Embarking for crossing water whenever there's a hostile Civ, blocking units and/or difficult terrain between where you are and where you want to be. I've used it several times (Embarking) to settle farway sites in the Ancient and Classical Eras when I was otherwise boxed in. Yes, I beeline teched Optics for movement; when I wasn't even England.

As England, any coastline city is yours for the taking after you get Armory and make Amphibious Units. Use Galleas/Ship of the Line and the occasional landed Longbowman for bombardment, then use Amphibious units (Elephants?) for the capture. A 4 move Pikeman is better than a 2 or 1 move Pikeman for taking cities because it doesn't take hits going in.

Moreover, any close-water cities are good for England as well. Hit one side of a Civ, draw their armies there, then Embark and hit the other side of the Civ, hopefully having Pillaged roads en route, or parking a nice multi-Drill Pikeman on a convenient hill.

Between their ability to exert armed might across water, and their ability to create naval supremacy to foster it, England's UA truly reflects the reality of their once mighty Empire. Of all the Civs, England is really the only one that can use the water as if it were Roads.

I've found Sweden to be one of the strongest civs overall, their UA is great in peacetime if you don't piss of your neighbors, and then when diplomacy breaks down, you have caroleans to destroy everything with. It also seems to me that diplomacy likes to break down big time in the Industrial era so it's even better.

I find it hilarious that I go to read this thread to find how strong UA's is, I don't think that was what the Op had in mind.

Maya is also weak because your GP count can get screwed up rather quickly despite having a "guarantee" of getting one of each. Taking admiral, then prophet as your first 2 can be a good way to avoid that mess.

The Maya UA is my favorite! It's so much fun! The important thing for the Maya strategy is NOT to focus on GP at all. Go for science, religion, culture, anything really - except GP. The early UB gives you an awesome head start in science and a good chance for first to third pantheon. And with the Mayans I finally build/buy archers (atlatlists - their UU). I love love love this civ.

Kinda weird no one has mentioned Sweden. I don't own G&K, but from reading it, they're UA sounds completely worthless. Why would you trade away a Great Person for a bit of influence? Honestly, their only redeeming feature is their unique units which are pretty good.

Why Sweden's UA isn't at all bad:

Maybe I spawned a Great General I don't need because I already have 2 of them.
Maybe I spawned a Great Prophet in the mid-game after already founding a religion, enhancing it, and not needing further useless faith from planting the GP.

The one area where their UA is bleh tends to be if you spawn a lot of Great Merchants... since a Great Merchant would give you gold on top of the boost to influence, Sweden's UA is admittedly a little weak if your strategy is focused around Great Merchant spamming.

The one area where their UA is bleh tends to be if you spawn a lot of Great Merchants... since a Great Merchant would give you gold on top of the boost to influence, Sweden's UA is admittedly a little weak if your strategy is focused around Great Merchant spamming.
City-State Diplomatic Missions only garner you 30 Influence, IIRC.

Top Bottom