What are some of your "civ rituals"?

iammaxhailme

Emperor
One thing I like to do is cook a dish from the culture I'm playing as, or something more modern from that region in the case of very old cultures. Gaming and cooking are probably my only real hobbies so this goes together well! (plus long games give me time to go stir a pot or something while the AI is moving...).

I was playing as Persia recently and I made this lentil and carrot soup. Actually I used a modern greek recipe, but I bet this is something you could give to an ancient Persian and it wouldn't be too weird... carrots are originally from Persia!

Sometimes I also listen to a band in the language of whatever civ it is, although that kind of limits me to European civs because I'm mostly into metal (folk metal can be a gold mine for this, though!)

Be sure to make tuh'u the next time you play as Babylon! :D I made it a little while ago--it's delicious. I also make a Persian okra stew called khoresht bamieh pretty frequently.

At any rate, while playing a certain civ will sometimes lead me to crave certain food (my recent Chinese game has me craving red bean paste and bāo, for example...), my only real ritual is that I usually play Civ while drinking coffee because it's a convenient one-handed game.

I assumed I was not the only person who watches Max's (good name) channel here and clearly I was right!

I can't really do civ and coffee much... I think I'm a weakling with caffeine. I just get antsy and want to go take a walk or hike. Same with being at work at my desk... I pretty much only have caffeine if I'm going to go do something physical, or I slept really poorly.

I do, uhh, play drunk civ a lot... not very well...

Be sure to make tuh'u the next time you play as Babylon! :D I made it a little while ago--it's delicious. I also make a Persian okra stew called khoresht bamieh pretty frequently.

I watched that recipe and that looks like something I would really enjoy. I make a sort of bastardised lamb borscht often in winter, so this might be a great variation of that to try. The history lesson at the tail end of the recipe was fascinating.

I'll have coffee while playing, but in summer here I'll be sipping a beer while playing.

It takes so long for the game to load

So long for the menus to load

And then so long for the save to load

I can literally get into my PJ’s, brush my teeth and turn down the bed between button clicks.

This isn’t a photorealistic shooter. It’s not an open world game trying to render an entire region down to the last bottle of nuka cola.

What the fracking hell is it actually doing?

I assumed I was not the only person who watches Max's (good name) channel here and clearly I was right!
A friend directed me to it a few months ago (with that exact recipe). So far the tuh'u is the only recipe I've tried, but I've enjoyed watching.

I can't really do civ and coffee much... I think I'm a weakling with caffeine. I just get antsy and want to go take a walk or hike. Same with being at work at my desk... I pretty much only have caffeine if I'm going to go do something physical, or I slept really poorly.
I can drink coffee a couple hours before I go to bed with no ill effects; I seem to be one of those rare-but-fortunate individuals for whom caffeine has very little effect. :D

I watched that recipe and that looks like something I would really enjoy. I make a sort of bastardised lamb borscht often in winter, so this might be a great variation of that to try.
I'm not a huge fan of beets except when they're pickled and essentially taste like vinegar, but I found I didn't mind them in this recipe. I also toned down the onion a bit. For the beer I used a Weißbier (I think it was Weihenstephaner Original) and Fleming red ale. I don't drink so I'm kind of clueless about alcohol beyond cooking with it occasionally, but they seemed to work well with the recipe.

I'll have coffee while playing, but in summer here I'll be sipping a beer while playing.
I live where temperatures over 100*F are normal in the summer and temperatures below 80*F are rare even in winter, and even at the hottest time I refuse to give up my hot coffee.

This is true, but it seemed to me loading times have been shorter since the last patch. I make coffee (manual brew with an AeroPress) while the game loads. :coffee:

Ah, I forgot: when I played Vietnam a few weeks ago I made cà phê trứng (Vietnamese egg coffee). It was really good--like having tiramisu in a cup--though too rich to be my everyday coffee.

Not food related, but a sort of ritual i like doing while playing civ is looking up how a civ's orthography works before/as I play as them, and when possible use dictionaries to name units in their native language. It ends up giving me a lot more content each time a new civ is added - best recent example was Vietnam. Also helps me remember IPA symbols, since it just feels wrong to me to have founded a city I can't pronounce, and the most reliable pronunciation guides I find for foreign languages usually use at least some IPA.

For two examples, I usually name my first name-able scout something like "The Mapmakers", and last time I played as the Mapuche, I spent a good few hours deliberating on how to translate that, referencing a dictionary, checking how other similar words are structured, etc. Eventually settled on calling the unit "Adentumapufe", which is at least supposed to mean "Those who make an image of the land". The other example is pretty similar - as Kongo, a Korean city named Gwangju (meaning something like "Light Province") flipped to me, and I renamed it "Mbanza Ntemo", which (hopefully) means "City [of] Light".

Not food related, but a sort of ritual i like doing while playing civ is looking up how a civ's orthography works before/as I play as them, and when possible use dictionaries to name units in their native language. It ends up giving me a lot more content each time a new civ is added - best recent example was Vietnam. Also helps me remember IPA symbols, since it just feels wrong to me to have founded a city I can't pronounce, and the most reliable pronunciation guides I find for foreign languages usually use at least some IPA.
IPA is so useful. I'm always happy to see more people learning it. :w00t:

For two examples, I usually name my first name-able scout something like "The Mapmakers", and last time I played as the Mapuche, I spent a good few hours deliberating on how to translate that, referencing a dictionary, checking how other similar words are structured, etc. Eventually settled on calling the unit "Adentumapufe", which is at least supposed to mean "Those who make an image of the land". The other example is pretty similar - as Kongo, a Korean city named Gwangju (meaning something like "Light Province") flipped to me, and I renamed it "Mbanza Ntemo", which (hopefully) means "City [of] Light".
I rarely take cities, but when I do I always try to find out what that city is called in the language of the civ I'm playing. If I can't find it, then I adapt it the phonology of the language of the civ I'm playing. To use your example, I probably would have changed Gwangju to Kiwanguzu.

I rarely take cities, but when I do I always try to find out what that city is called in the language of the civ I'm playing. If I can't find it, then I adapt it the phonology of the language of the civ I'm playing. To use your example, I probably would have changed Gwangju to Kiwanguzu.

Gwangju as in the South Korean city? In Hangeul it's spelled 광주, which is much closer to Gwangju. Kiwanguzu would be 기왕우주. Or maybe I'm missing something here.

Gwangju as in the South Korean city? In Hangeul it's spelled 광주, which is much closer to Gwangju. Kiwanguzu would be 기왕우주. Or maybe I'm missing something here.
It'd be changed to Kiwanguzu because it loyalty flipped to Kongo - the closest phonetic approximation of 광주 in Kikongo would be Kiwanguzu. If you put "Gwangju" in the middle of a bunch of Kikongo text it'd stick out as a foreign name because of different rules about how sounds can be ordered in words and what sounds even exist (in Kikongo theres no "j" and "g" is rarely used outside of "ng").
It'd be like having Korea conquer Mbanza Kongo and renaming it Eumbanja Konggo (음반자 콩고) to match Korean phonetics.

A friend directed me to it a few months ago (with that exact recipe). So far the tuh'u is the only recipe I've tried, but I've enjoyed watching.

I can drink coffee a couple hours before I go to bed with no ill effects; I seem to be one of those rare-but-fortunate individuals for whom caffeine has very little effect. :D

I'm not a huge fan of beets except when they're pickled and essentially taste like vinegar, but I found I didn't mind them in this recipe. I also toned down the onion a bit. For the beer I used a Weißbier (I think it was Weihenstephaner Original) and Fleming red ale. I don't drink so I'm kind of clueless about alcohol beyond cooking with it occasionally, but they seemed to work well with the recipe.

I live where temperatures over 100*F are normal in the summer and temperatures below 80*F are rare even in winter, and even at the hottest time I refuse to give up my hot coffee.

This is true, but it seemed to me loading times have been shorter since the last patch. I make coffee (manual brew with an AeroPress) while the game loads. :coffee:

I’m going to see if I can literally do my taxes while the game spools up

I don't have loading time issues, but Civ VI crashes very frequently if I have too many browser windows open on my second screen... frequently enough that I've started just putting my laptop next to me and using that for a browser instead. I think my gaming hardware is getting a lot of performance drops from wear and tear, but also only Civ VI does this. I haven't noticed any performance degeradation in any other games. Maybe Civ VI is particularly unoptimized, or it could just be my hardware

You might enjoy the Rosetta Stone mod, it renames cities based on the leader (Patna for Gandhi, Patiliputra for Chandy)

It is literally the only mod I can't play without

I don't have loading time issues, but Civ VI crashes very frequently if I have too many browser windows open on my second screen... frequently enough that I've started just putting my laptop next to me and using that for a browser instead. I think my gaming hardware is getting a lot of performance drops from wear and tear, but also only Civ VI does this. I haven't noticed any performance degeradation in any other games. Maybe Civ VI is particularly unoptimized, or it could just be my hardware
I've been wondering that. I'm playing GalCiv3 on an old and very weak computer, and it only takes a few seconds to process a turn. Pretty smooth doing it as well.

I can literally get into my PJ’s, brush my teeth and turn down the bed between button clicks.

This isn’t a photorealistic shooter. It’s not an open world game trying to render an entire region down to the last bottle of nuka cola.

What the fracking hell is it actually doing?

I use to cook or wash the dishes while the game loads, but I feel recently the game is taking less time to load even with mods, just like @Zaarin said.

Coffee at my side on a well earned Saturday morning. Then I dive into a new game. Have been doing this since at least 2012. I cannot express the satisfaction that comes with this ritual.

You might enjoy the Rosetta Stone mod, it renames cities based on the leader (Patna for Gandhi, Patiliputra for Chandy)

It is literally the only mod I can't play without
Yep, I use it. It's a great mod.

Top Bottom