What Civ Would you Cut?

Gaspar Rodriguez sounds kind of like the prototypical benign dictator.

I like the Muisca, I think they would be a good inclusion. Never said anything bad about them.

Netherlands being cut wouldn’t be because they aren’t important, just that they are surrounded by other bigger, more powerful states that I think would take precedent over them, like France and Germany, and Europe is way too cluttered. Some civs need to sit out for a turn and give it room to breathe.

Netherlands being cut wouldn’t be because they aren’t important, just that they are surrounded by other bigger, more powerful states that I think would take precedent over them, like France and Germany, and Europe is way too cluttered. Some civs need to sit out for a turn and give it room to breathe.
I feel like getting rid of Polders is on the verge of blasphemy. :p
I'd rather them cut Germany and just give us Austria, as unlikely as that would be, or give us a more eastern Prussia based Germany. :mischief:

I'd like for Siam to return but only if they portray it more modernized. I just think having too many SEA Medieval civs is redundant and that one can at least be different.
To be honest. If Siam will return, Fxis has to present them as Ayutthaya Empire or Rattanakosin Empire. Sokhothai wasn't really a superpower. and to be honest a CS that emerged thanks to the overland trading routes to Yuan China. the Kingdom itself declined along with the fall of Yuan. and Ming policy focused on sea trade over land trade routes. and this gave rise to Ayutthaya, even to the point that under King Ramet II (formerly Prince Sam Phraya (เจ้าสามพระยา)) launched a campain that put a definite end to Khmer Empire where City of Yasothorn is sacked (and with it, the Angkor Wat wonder... THERE IS NO CITY OF ANGKOR WAT. This Temple Complex lies within the very heart of Old Capitol of Yasothorn).

I feel like getting rid of Polders is on the verge of blasphemy. :p
I'd rather them cut Germany and just give us Austria, as unlikely as that would be, or give us a more eastern Prussia based Germany. :mischief:
Only one solution: the Merovingians, led by Charles Martel.

Salian Frankish (German) kingdom from the Low Countries that conquered most of Western Europe and gave rise to both France and the Holy Roman Empire. There, now we don’t have to have France, Germany, or any of the Benelux countries :D

Salian Frankish (German) kingdom from the Low Countries that conquered most of Western Europe and gave rise to both France and the Holy Roman Empire. There, now we don’t have to have France, Germany, or any of the Benelux countries :D
Well now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind a Frankish civ lead by Charlemagne. However, I also wouldn't consider it a high priority, considering it would definitely overlap with both France and Germany, who aren't going to go anywhere.

To be honest I would also like something like this, but of course I am also aware that this wont happen in CIV. France, Netherland and Germany would allways be main civs. Even the regular second scandinavian modern civ seem to be a fixed slot for future CIV games.

Civs like Netherland or Portugal were empires with real world impact, the europeans that are overshadowed and kind of redundant are the ones like Scotland and Sweden in any case.

I'd have to give Scotland the boot. Never really know why they were included. [Uh, Braveheart?]

As others have suggested: include Ireland but with a strong Celtic bent. France will stay French without Gaul.

I'd have to give Scotland the boot. Never really know why they were included. [Uh, Braveheart?]

As others have suggested: include Ireland but with a strong Celtic bent. France will stay French without Gaul.
I still say bring back Boadicea!

Having 1 TSL in London and then another 1 tile north at Norfolk is pretty yikes. The Iceni weren't Picts; they were Britons from present day England. If people wanted a Brythonic civ I would sooner opt for Wales or Cornwall.

Having 1 TSL in London and then another 1 tile north at Norfolk is pretty yikes. The Iceni weren't Picts; they were Britons from present day England. If people wanted a Brythonic civ I would sooner opt for Wales or Cornwall.
I'm not as hung up on TSL's as you are, maybe because I always use random or custom maps. :p

Well, rather than thinking if cutting civs. I think it would be good to make sure you rotate certain niches. Celts are a great example as there isn't a single clear "most inclusive" civ to use outside of a celtblob. So rotating between Ireland, Scotland, Gaul, Wales, Iceni over civ games would be great. But most regions/culture groupings could be given similar treatment...

What about Winchester then, and we can get Alfred the Great? :mischief:
I would honestly rather Ireland more anyway, but honestly, I don't see TSL as a compelling argument to completely ignore the Iceni/Boadicea ever appearing again.

Yeah my heart is set on Ireland too. More history, better sources. Less constrained by era, because the history goes back thousands of years. Distinct group from continental celts (Gaelic is a distantly related language). It’s got a lot of things going for it. Make their leader someone that precedes the English Colonization, like Brian Boru, and you're off to the races.

What about Winchester then, and we can get Alfred the Great? :mischief:
I would honestly rather Ireland more anyway, but honestly, I don't see TSL as a compelling argument to completely ignore the Iceni/Boadicea ever appearing again.

Yeah my heart is set on Ireland too. More history, better sources. Less constrained by era, because the history goes back thousands of years. Distinct group from continental celts (Gaelic is a distantly related language). It’s got a lot of things going for it. Make their leader someone that precedes the English Colonization, like Brian Boru, and you're off to the races.
There is no Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, or Gaulish monarch or chieftain whose image in on the official long-standing logo of one of the biggest banks on Earth:

Logo_of_the_Governor_and_Company_of_the_Bank_of_England_(1946).jpg

:p
This is the Bank that prints the Pound Sterling, which is USUALLY the tradable, non-bullion currency with the highest value per unit in the world at any given time.

As for Australia, the majority of their troops were sent to Gallipoli, a front that was doomed to failure. So while the Diggers don't have many battlefield victories to show for it, they have a sort of "Charge of the Light Brigade" mystique to their grit and sacrifice on a ill-conceived battlefield.
They did a spectacular job considering the circumstances. Over half the ottoman forces were guarding the straits, the whole thing was planned in a few weeks, they landed on the wrong beach and still inflicted twice the casualties they took.

But for civs to cut ( aside from the fact I would instead add another 50 to the current list. Probably the Māori for a different Polynesian civ, the Scottish and form a uk in stead, Persia for a sassinad or Iranian civ and finally scythia for a turkic civ like the Seljuk

I would sooner give the slot to Paraguay than Argentina, a country that has more ethnic and cultural continuity with the original Guarani indigenous people, and we've never had a Platine Basin civ before.
Despite I like the idea of Paraguay being a civ, Why not have directly the Guarani civilization? Maybe lead by Sepé Tiaraju of the Guaranitc Wars.

If Paraguay be a civ the only reasonable choice is Solano López. Who was a dictator!
Nothing against dictators becoming civs, but. If Paraguay become a civ, it should have some abilities linked with his Guarani heritage.

From both, Paraguay or Guarani. The unique building can be the Missiones.

Central Asia slot: I think Gurkani are a great option to cover the region this time, even with two leaders one for Timurid and one for Mughal eras.
I don't like the name "Gurkani" I think Mughal is a way more recognizible name.

French colonial slot: Maybe Haiti make it as the first afroamerican and caribean civ.
I super agree on that!
Subsaharan slot: I mean the second slot replacing Kongo, could be for so many options, Yoruba is one of the best. For me is a shame that Zulu hoard one slot just because being one of civs originals.
Despite I don't agree with the removal of Zulus, is cool this game have respect for the Zulus in every game.
I also would like to see Yoruba in this game, maybe it civ can be called Oyo. His leader can be Shango. It was the 3rd king of Oyo, and it is a God for Afro-American religions, the god of Thunder and Fire, and also Justice.

I don't like the name "Gurkani" I think Mughal is a way more recognizible name.
Gurkani not only is the proper name it also have others advantages. It covers both "Mughals" and "Timurids" for a second science leader like Ulugh Beg or Shah Rukh. This name helps to reduce the ideological fight over "Mughals" between contemporary Pakistan and India. Also it even save us from the redundancy of have Mongols and Mughals in the same game.

Anyway the name Mughals is not a real "selling name", they would be one of those civs that come in the same group with 2 or 3 big names to sell the DLC.

Last edited:
Gurkani not only is the proper name it also have others advantages. It covers both "Mughals" and "Timurids" for a second science leader like Ulugh Beg or Shah Rukh. This name helps to reduce the ideological fight over "Mughals" between contemporary Pakistan and India. Also it even save us from the redundancy of have Mongols and Mughals in the same game.

Anyway the name Mughals is not a real "selling name", they would be one of those civs that come in the same group with 2 or 3 big names to sell the DLC.
I would still like to see the Sikh Confederacy in game, myself.

Despite I like the idea of Paraguay being a civ, Why not have directly the Guarani civilization? Maybe lead by Sepé Tiaraju of the Guaranitc Wars.

If Paraguay be a civ the only reasonable choice is Solano López. Who was a dictator!
Nothing against dictators becoming civs, but. If Paraguay become a civ, it should have some abilities linked with his Guarani heritage.

From both, Paraguay or Guarani. The unique building can be the Missiones.
If Paraguay is included, I think that Gaspar Rodiguez, linked by @pineappledan would be far superior to Solano Lopez. You seem to have a penchant for wanting to stuff horrible modern dictators and tyrants into the game as leaders, left, right, and (rarely) centre, and I don't think it's, at all, a winning formula for Civ, I'm afraid.

Top Bottom