1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do I need to start modding?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by DomFirestorm pt, May 29, 2006.

1. DomFirestorm pt

DomFirestorm pt Chieftain

:confused: What resources (software, plug-ins, tutorials...) do I need to make new units, buildings, improvements, resources and (maybe) animated leaders for Civ4?? In my summer break I would like to mod a bit but as far as I seen there's a lot of programs to do this (for exemple some people use Blender, other use 3ds Max...). I would be very thankful If you helped me out.
    Thanks

2. dalek master

dalek master Prince

notepad
    I use and love Blender as it is free
    3ds Max is prob more civ-friendly
    DDS converter (can't post link but it is free)
    a image-pack. people use: Paint, GIMP, or prob the best, Photoshop, but it isn't free

that should be enough to make the stuff your on about. IF you don't mind no new graphics, then you can do with just notepad. maybe you could do with:

XML editor
    Python editor

maybe. I don't know an XML editor but Id like to find a free one soemwhere for myself they sound handy for anyone looking at the XML files. Look up some tutorials as well. :p.

3. Olleus

Olleus Deity

notepad++ is very useful and doesn't make your eyes water.

4. Officer Reene

Officer Reene It hates you all

Here are two "wiki" references that explain alot for modding

You can go to the main page of each reference but for easier usage I linked both main index of the XML Files Index

There you can pick the file name that you want to edit or know what each tagline does....

unfortunately no one has merged the two references so you may have to check both them out to get the complete info (or in some cases one reference explains it better than the other one)

CIV4Wiki - Great Reference Site

http://civ4wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Xml_files

MODiki - Another Great Reference Site

http://modiki.apolyton.net/index.php...=Reference_xml

there sites explain many of the tags/files/data

5. DomFirestorm pt

DomFirestorm pt Chieftain

Thank you very much for the tips. Now it's easier to start modding!!