What do the Civ III veterans think of Civ VI?

Thank you for your kind words about CCM. :) It´s true that the next version of CCM will hold the Antal1987 v.4 patch, but you can use the work of Antal1987 just now and even without CCM. You can find that patch here: Patch_v4 .

That version of the Antal1987 patch framework works at least with my version of Civ Complete and the Kaspersky virus program didn´t find any virus in it. This patch has the following fixes:

* Fix of the science age bug
* Fix the minimal distance for building new city nearby the other one. Now cities can be build next to each other and thereby canals can be formed to cross continents.
* Fix of the population pollution (that was still fixed in CCM by avoiding city-size-3)
* Fix of the drawing bug in the civilopedia (no more magenta beam at the right side of the civilopedia entry)
* Direct start of C3C as it holds the No-CD-Patch (what became more important by windows 10)

The submarine bug isn´t fixed in the next version of CCM. The new feature for submarines in the next version of CCM is the negative stealth attack -and of course the next version of CCM holds all fixes of the current version of CCM and can be played as the standard epic game, too if wanted.

Last edited:
Funny old world isn't it?

I loved Civ II, thought III was a pale imitation with ODD graphics, yet IV was pretty much awesome start to finish and after a seriously poor start, thanks to the community V ended up ridiculously addictive for me, certainly softened the appearance of grey hair......

I'm struggling with VI the same way I did with V, it needs a lot of work, but then the community is already stepping up so I reckon I should get to retirement no probs with this version....

Yes funny. I thought II was the best or at least top 3 games for years. By the time C3C came around, I could no longer bare to play II. The whole stack dies was too much for me to put up with. I never played it after III. Still it was great.

Civ 3: The best. Still the best.

Yes. Yes.

But I do love VI. Has its drawbacks, but I feel like I can see what Ed is trying to do, and I like it.

However, if they do not allow subs under the ice, I am egging someone's house.

@Quintillus I remember you mentioning to me you were going to post about this awhile back, sorry I'm a bit late in responding.

A little backstory - - The Civ series is only a handful of games I've played with any regularity over the past couple decades. I played CivII frequently until CivIII was released and immediately switched over to it - it was such an amazing fun upgrade over CivII. However, after a few years I eventually got bored with it and so tried CivIV when it came out. I didn't much care for it so I came back to CivIII and started playing mods for the first time. After a couple more years I started modding myself, which quickly became almost more interesting than playing the game itself. The limitations for what I wanted to do though eventually made me give up and try CivV, which like IV I didn't much care for.

Around that time Tony came out with his Worldwide mod, and although he feels a bit differently about it now, I honestly feel it is one of the best, most immersive mods out there (I'm definitely looking forward to version 2.0!). It was also what really reinvigorated my interest in CivIII modding. Quint's new editor and many of the new innovative ways to mod CivIII that came around the same time and the next few years also increased my enthusiasm.

When CivVI was announced I was understandably gun shy about buying it because of my dislike of IV & V, but after seeing the previews and watching the Let's Play's I was hooked. I don't regret pre-purchasing CivVI one bit based on the previews, so I've been a bit baffled by the negativity in the General Discussion forum. There was plenty of gameplay previews available before launch so it's not like anything should have come as a surprise. I initially found it humorous when people complained that the game didn't live up to "their" expectations for what kind of game it should be and how it should be played, but now it's just plain annoying and I mostly avoid the G/D forum. After two patches and a few hundred hours I'm still enjoying the game immensely.

A few of the CivVI pros imo:
  • I love the new dynamic graphics. Zooming in close you can really appreciate the little moving details like fires, animals, and terrain. It's also neat that you can change the time of day. The background sounds also change depending on what tiles you zoom in on.
  • I'm really sold on the 1UPT. Having huge endless stacks in CivIII was starting to get tiresome for me and lacked almost any creativity in tactics. I also like the promotion and combat systems, which allow for more interesting battles, which encompass a far greater range of unit abilities and bonuses based on unit types and promotions. I used to think more unit types made games more interesting, but I've come to appreciate CivVI's approach to fewer unit types and more stream-lined upgrades.
  • Unstacking cities so you can actually see the individual buildings and having to think tactically about not only on whether to build something in a city, but where around the city center it should be built.
I could continue to go on, but the above are a few of the main highlights for me. There are certainly some issues with the AI and some missing UI features, but to me those issues have mostly been mitigated through mods by some very talented people and my own tinkering (All done without an SDK even!). In my experience every Civ incarnation has been deficient upon first release (Yes, even CivIII) and CivVI is no exception, but I have high hopes for it's future. It's certainly not a game for every kind of Civ player, especially the warmongers, but it introduces some amazing new features that enhance other styles of gameplay.

Top Bottom