What do you do to keep interest in game?

planetfall

Emperor
I'm partway thru 1st GS game and having hard time keeping playing. I keep jumping to other games that are more inviting. This is a major major first for me with civ releases.

The biggest problem is there is just too too much needless busywork to play the game.

Anyone else run into this? If so, how do you keep interest.

Thank you for your comments.

As you progress from the early game the threat from the AI goes down to almost zero and the game turns into SimCiv, a pure sandbox game. Only reasons to push on for me is vivid imagination and roleplaying some kind of scenario with multiple house rules. But even that becomes boring after the minmax strategies play out.

Compared to others, I'm a newer Civ6 player: less than 10 games completed. I'm still fascinated by the wide variety of civs to choose from. I want to play them all at some point. That's what keeps my interest... figuring out a way to win each civ or leader.

I'm not new to the franchise; I've been playing Civ3 since 2008, off-and-on, along with some Civ4 and Civ5 (pre-pandemic). I have won with all the Civ3 Conquests leader. I've got more hours in BE Rising Tide than Civ6, where I've nearly won each affinity victory with every leader. OK, yeah, BERT has a much smaller pool of leaders, but you're probably seeing a pattern.

Watching some Potato McWhiskey videos has pointed out where I'm not playing Civ6 efficiently. By pursuing a Science Victory, inefficiently, the AI has a chance to build up tourism or accumulate diplo victory points. I still have a ways to go before I'm skillful and efficient in Civ6.

Mods mainly. Absolutely need access to large maps, and easier polar sailing, so Yet (not) Another Maps Pack is a must. Exploration, solving city layout, Barb defense and then Barb hunting, racing for Lux and Resources, and creating strong defensive positions are all satisfying to me. What is not satisfying is tedium, so I tend to abandon games around t130-160.

Then throw in any number of mods that change the game for the better (Better Trade, Better Deal Window, Better Pantheons (and such), and Real Strategy are almost always on. I've started maybe 6 games now experimenting with DB's Civ VI Gold. It has a ton of parameters, changing just one or two can alter the experience a lot. Like an entire different set of Governors is available. I expect to spend another several weeks experimenting. Then I will probably go back to normal play and do some heavy water maps, those are my favorite (Seven Seas is sooooo good).

Always play with these game modes: Heroes and Legends, Monopolies and Corporations, Secret Societies, try getting Sanguine Pact ftw:borg:

for myself it’s new civ mods… those that add complete civs and are not totally and evidently OP…

Also, I always play tech and civics shuffle mode. Goes a long way to not always playing the same way, same beelines.

Found a way. It was the loyalty change and the governors effect on loyalty that was too much. Adjusted and all is well. Posting changes in customization subforum

Top Bottom