What do you miss about/from previous CIV games?

The advisers. There was nothing more fun than have your War Adviser come stumbling into your throne room stinking drunk during a war and stating" all is well Sire", and then staggering off while singing. Truly epic.

i want to see this sooooo much :lol:

I'm not missing global warming from CIV very much. A desert tile ortwo popping up after a nuclear exchange that wiped out two empires may as well not be there. I did like vassalage and Colonies, though, as well as the barbs and some of the diplomacy.

P.S.
Global view, useful forts and cultural city flips

I miss master of magics vulnerable 'settlements' stage of city production. Until you reach '1' population, you were just a settlement, and subject to destruction if anythign were to happen on it. Great way to put the stop on city spam.

Available on youtube, enjoy.

Hmm. How about this. In your Civ6 settings, there is a page with urls for each of the following:
  • wonder completion videos
  • game victory videos
  • advisers (various triggers)
While we're at it, let's do the same thing, with internet radio, for music tracks:
  • each civ
  • war
  • eras
  • etc.
Firaxis then would not have to bundle music and videos with the game (cuts way down on download sizes!) They simply need to arrange for hosting of suitable videos and music with a 3rd party provider (such as youtube). Then, they drop in video and audio player codebase, and the default urls for all of those videos and music.

Each customer could choose to swap out a video or music to something more of their liking. This satisfies everyone who like the old videos or music (Baba Yetu etc.)

Hmm. How about this. In your Civ6 settings, there is a page with urls for each of the following:
  • wonder completion videos
  • game victory videos
  • advisers (various triggers)
While we're at it, let's do the same thing, with internet radio, for music tracks:
  • each civ
  • war
  • eras
  • etc.
Firaxis then would not have to bundle music and videos with the game (cuts way down on download sizes!) They simply need to arrange for hosting of suitable videos and music with a 3rd party provider (such as youtube). Then, they drop in video and audio player codebase, and the default urls for all of those videos and music.

Each customer could choose to swap out a video or music to something more of their liking. This satisfies everyone who like the old videos or music (Baba Yetu etc.)

assuming ppl only ever play while online. which i dont do since i will not do multiplayer (my internet costs prohibit) and it makes no sense to have internet on just to play an offline part of the game in case it wants music. not everyone can afford unlimited internet and always is online when computer is on (mine isnt either of them)

I never really cared about the advisors in civ5 because I asked they have little of interest to tell me (and I was right) but now that peeps are bringing up the old drunken advisor videos.... I really do miss that flavor. It wasn't about their advise it was the acting that made it fun.

assuming ppl only ever play while online. which i dont do since i will not do multiplayer (my internet costs prohibit) and it makes no sense to have internet on just to play an offline part of the game in case it wants music. not everyone can afford unlimited internet and always is online when computer is on (mine isnt either of them)
There's no problem having static graphic fallbacks. For someone who's technologically limited, having the lower computing power and memory requirements should be extremely welcome.

And, the game could explain that you're welcome to play your own offline audio track. (Which should be obvious, even to a dunderhead like me.)

I would just like to be able to rename my units. Easy to do in Civ4, no way to do this in Civ5?

There's a UI mod that I use that allows you to rename units whenever you want. I forget the name of it, so hopefully when I get home from work I'll remember to check and update this post (I think it's simply called BetterUI). Because of the location that you put the file in, it A) doesn't affect your achievement progress and B) will work immediately, even in the game you're currently playing.

EDIT: it's called Enhanced User Interface

I also miss the extra score you used to get when you played in the higher difficulties in civilization 1. In civilization 5, there's no longer any score for playing in the higher difficulties, but there is a time victory that allows the person with the higher score wins during time victory.

Um, did everybody magically forgot the single best thing that ever was in a Civ game?

BABA YETU.

I also miss the extra score you used to get when you played in the higher difficulties in civilization 1. In civilization 5, there's no longer any score for playing in the higher difficulties, but there is a time victory that allows the person with the higher score wins during time victory.
Until/unless the scoring algorithm is improved and glaring issues fixed, having score provide more meaning or, even worse, in-game functionality, is actually a bad idea.

There's no problem having static graphic fallbacks. For someone who's technologically limited, having the lower computing power and memory requirements should be extremely welcome.

And, the game could explain that you're welcome to play your own offline audio track. (Which should be obvious, even to a dunderhead like me.)

This brings up a valid point. How about Firaxis/2K actually give optimal low end sys reqs in order to enjoy the game, instead of just guessing what might work. Good way to avoid pissing off your customers.

Just a thought. While I admit the eye candy is dandy, how about actually using some of that intense graphics power to actually improve the AI and system resource drain that occurs on your comp? Just once I would like to enjoy a Civ game that not only doesn't bleed through your system, but is actually designed for optimal game play.

For me, the best music was the background music in the first two eras of Civ III.

amen. I loved it too, although it's cool each civ has their own soundtracks...kinda personalizes it. Sometimes I miss having an upbeat tune I can expect though. :)

This made me go back and listen to old Civ music on youtube... and I realized that I must have played a lot more Civ II than I thought I did, because that soundtrack is quintessential Civ music to me. III and IV were fine, but less distinc and less nostalgic for me I suppose.

In terms of music I want back : the Aztec theme for earlier civs (you know the one). Same with the Chinese theme. Those are incredibly iconic of the Civ series, and I'm saddened by their absence in CiV. I like that the Babylonian war theme at least kind of references the old babylonian theme at least (maybe I'm inventing it to be fair, they're really not that close).

Until/unless the scoring algorithm is improved and glaring issues fixed, having score provide more meaning or, even worse, in-game functionality, is actually a bad idea.

All that needs to be done with score is make the league table at the end more meaningful - back in Civ I it was an achievement to get very far up the chart; now you're almost guaranteed first place just by winning a game.

All that needs to be done with score is make the league table at the end more meaningful - back in Civ I it was an achievement to get very far up the chart; now you're almost guaranteed first place just by winning a game.

I would amend that to say that you're guaranteed the Augustus Caesar rank if you win by domination, not necessarily with other VCs (SV in particular tends to give lower scores).

But I agree, there should be a rank for 10k points or whatever.

Well, as I said, the calculation for score currently has major issues. So, making the impact of score more meaningful is bad unless the issues are fixed first.

WAR TRUMPETS!!!!

I really miss that - hearing the trumpets, and thinking "Oh crap, I should have built more units!" and hoping they were coming for someone else. (Or hoping they were coming for you if you'd been goading them so you wouldn't get a diplo penalty.)

There's generally not much notice at all if people are at war. Just a little notification that can be easily ignored in the swarm of notifications each turn. There isn't much notice taken if cities fall. You don't get begged to help one side or the other. There was a random event in 4 where you'd be asked to donate a strategic resource to your friends at war. Basically I miss all that. But mostly the war trumpets.

Top Bottom