What future content would you like to see for Old World?

Hum, that's a tough question actually, I think Old World is a pretty strong and coherent package as it is. I'm mainly thinking about balance things that aren't quite right at the moment, but that doesn't count as content.

I think I'd like to explore other settings, eastward or northward or southward maybe. Others mentioned precolombian setting (The New World :D) or far east (e.g. ancient china) and that has some appeal.

I'm not sure what new nations could make sense in the game setting, but maybe just alternate takes on the existing ones, with a different set of families and different starting characters could maximize the play variety, a bit like we already have Assyria and Babylonia as separate entities in Mesopotamia. We could have imperial and republican Rome, Mycenaean and Alexander era/Macedonian Greece, etc.

It's true that randomized leaders covers some of that, but alternate family sets could push it a bit further. Not sure if there's room for new family types and character archetypes, but that could make for great additional content as well.

Expanding the time frame could be interesting, but I wouldn't want to go further forward than around the fall of the western Roman empire at most.
I'm not sure what it would add as most of the technology involved is already in the game, so instead I'm curious about going in the other direction and having an option to have a first nomadic phase before you reach actual "civilization status" (agriculture I guess) and can found your city. Not sure if it could fit in the game outside of a mod/scenario, but I would enjoy playing from tribe to empire very much.

I loved the Carthage scenarios/campaign and I think that's probably one of the most expected and desired content for the game. There are so many moments in ancient history that could be covered by scenarios ! Roman conquests, Roman civil wars, Alexander's epic, the birth of civilization in Mesopotamia, the rise of Persia and the median wars... Some of that will surely come of the community, but I just can't wait.

I'd love MP scenarios as well.

rlw33 mentioned (I think it was you ?) natural wonders or something like that, to enhance the feeling of discovery while exploring the map, I'm not sure if it could work without just feeling like civ (which I like too but it's a different game) but that's a nice idea. Maybe some special landmarks that would have particular effects ?

I love the game mechanics to bits, so my dream fantasy (given what it would cost in term of asset/graphics/art/etc) would be a transposition of the game system in a completely different environment ("Old planet" ? colonizing a new planet/recolonizing the earth*, I can't help but fantasize about a SMAC spiritual child with Old World orders, semi-randomized tech tree and OW opinion/diplomacy system). That feels more like a next game than additional content tho.

*I just thought of that because of the "Old Planet" name, but I think recolonizing the earth could make a great setting for a 4X game)

They must know how long they are locked to Epic. I wish they would tell us.

Is it a year from the 'early access' release? (Oops, we're already past that).

Is it a year from the '1.0' release?

Is it never?

As this could impact Epic sales, this could be confidential as per the agreement.

The game has a dev team that very actively engages with players - on Discord, on forums, elsewhere. When there's one question that goes unanswered by an otherwise responsive team, and that question concerns the terms of a contract with a third party, I wish more people understood that the lack of a response is likely due to no response being legally possible.

Plus, him ^^^ and I don't actually know the details. We're just the workers, details like that are for the studio heads. :)

I certainly understand why it's refreshing, but it also shouldn't be surprising at all given who's behind the game. Soren is one of the industry pioneers in terms of involving the community - he was doing community-driven development at a time when game development was more ivory tower, and even major publishers didn't really have a community team. And then there's team members like Dale or me, people who started out as active community members. So talking to players is something that's really natural for Mohawk.

The game has a dev team that very actively engages with players - on Discord, on forums, elsewhere. When there's one question that goes unanswered by an otherwise responsive team, and that question concerns the terms of a contract with a third party, I wish more people understood that the lack of a response is likely due to no response being legally possible.

Hello Solver

Appreciate the transparency here. I realise it's a bit of a catch-22 situation where fans are used to open communication, but I think what annoys folk so much is the corporate non-speak given in response to Epic queries. Something like:

"The head of our immersive electronic entertainment division may soon give an announcement pertaining to the distribution of the software on other platforms." (somewhat paraphrased :D). What does this mean? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Five years? Which platforms?

Personally, I would just rather see:

"Legally we can't talk about it." Case closed, we know where we stand. Disappointing perhaps, but hey, life often is. :D Or is there some sort of Legalese caveat that states you cannot say what you can and can't talk about?

I bit the bullet and got the game on Epic anyway and I'm very glad I did, but I do know a lot of folk are holding out for other ways to get the game.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

I don't think we're going too hard on the corporate speak. The responses like "we will be announcing when we have news regarding potential distribution" do convey one important fact - that there will be announcements as soon something can be announced. So the public's takeaway from that can be "something will probably happen", while a "we can't talk, case closed" response can only give "we can't know anything" as a takeaway.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject now - those are production issues anyway, and I do design and programming, not production. In the meantime, it's absolutely fair and sensible for everyone to decide whether and how to buy the game! Some people bought it on Epic now. Others are waiting to find out whether we'll ship on other platforms. Others don't care about the specific platform, but are waiting for a translation into their language. Those are all valid choices.

And some are waiting for the FPS version.

Not at all. Dale should dig up his screenshot of the FPS mode :D

Reactions: PiR
i really like taht idea of more aggressive tribes like the Huns or Scythians to simulate those horse peoples.

more civs from the ancient era would be nice as well

maybe not medieval era, but perhaps somethign to simulate the fall of the old world, perhaps linked to the horse peoples

i really like taht idea of more aggressive tribes like the Huns or Scythians to simulate those horse peoples.

more civs from the ancient era would be nice as well

maybe not medieval era, but perhaps somethign to simulate the fall of the old world, perhaps linked to the horse peoples
Tribes can be plenty aggressive already, I assure you :D. Specially when you get distant raids from out of the map as well.
Also, you might want to check the "Barbarian hordes" scenario ?

Not at all. Dale should dig up his screenshot of the FPS mode :D

Yeah the FPS mode is coming along nicely.

upload_2021-8-22_11-4-47.png

I’d like to see a different starting leader option (+ family situation) for each civilization. It would open up a lot of new early game strategies and add more variety to games since you wouldn’t be facing off against the same leaders for the first 50 turns.

I think there’s a mod that randomizes starting leaders but what I want is thoughtfully-developed options for each civ that offer strong synergies, like the current starting leaders.

Honestly, I think the random starting leader option is a better way to play the game than the pre-designed leaders/families.

I'm not convinced on going random family yet. I tried it twice, but so far I prefer the starting families rather than random ones.

Top Bottom