What future content would you like to see for Old World?

While there are already a near limitless combinations of starting families, the benefit of a few additional cultures (Mesoamerica as mentioned, Maurya, or some East Asian ones) would be new artwork. I love the current artwork and I love to zoom in a see the details. So it would be great to see even more artwork and wonders from new cultures.

I think new places would be fun as an expansion. Perhaps North American tribes? would love to pit the Iroquois against the Sioux or Cherokee. Japan/China/Korea/Mongolia would also be fun. Even if the time periods switch a little bit. Loving the game right now, so I have a long way to go before I need to mix it up, but those are my thoughts.

Do something to give maps more personality and offer more surprises.

Perhaps allow certain technologies to reveal new city-sites or new resources. Perhaps create some way to survey existing improved tiles to make further discoveries or improvements.

Do something with resources to make them worth possessing rather than simply worth giving away.

“Corporate Speak” that actually says nothing specific exists because in the current Social Media paradigm you never know what random fragment of a tweet from ten years ago will end up going viral and causing an online lynch mob to appear.

If I thought people actually cared about what I post I would absolutly have some media expert team vett all of it

Different government systems involving elections instead of hereditary monarchy, seeing how we've got both Greece and Rome in game. Yes no independent Greek pole that I'm aware of was democratic any longer by the time of Philip II (and some never were at all), and Rome was obviously founded as a monarchy at the time of mythical Romulus, but still.

Reactions: PiR
'Old World is Finished'?

Don't think so. Not till next summer. Or is there something going on they haven't spelled out for us?

Different government systems involving elections instead of hereditary monarchy, seeing how we've got both Greece and Rome in game. Yes no independent Greek pole that I'm aware of was democratic any longer by the time of Philip II (and some never were at all), and Rome was obviously founded as a monarchy at the time of mythical Romulus, but still.

Elections would be a nice concept to see in game, but they would be difficult to represent as a fun mechanic. Taking Rome as an example, that elected two Consuls yearly, would mean there would be two leader characters every single year. The gameplay would be chaotic. How long should election cycles be? Even if we went with a 4-8 year term session as with modern politics, it's not enough time to leverage characters and their abilities, I fear. The game seems very much built around an heriditary system.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Maybe the elections could be for more minor characters? Ministers, governors, heads of things?

playing off an earlier idea I proposed, a "colonization" mode would be fun. So play as British, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese... and the tribes are the native Americans. It isn't quite as old an Old World, but it's still pretty old!

playing off an earlier idea I proposed, a "colonization" mode would be fun. So play as British, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese... and the tribes are the native Americans. It isn't quite as old an Old World, but it's still pretty old!

I could really get on board that idea! I love Colonisation themed games!

I could see the Dutch as Carthage, British as Rome, Spain as Assyria...Just would like the tribes to be a little more than placeholders for city sites in that scenario, but that just me being greedy.

A timeline expansion would be of interest as well as the ability to explore other continents starting from the late middle ages. Of course this would need careful balancing and AI programming to make it work as well as current game does.

Bumping this thread as I just started playing the game in earnest.

First, to the Devs, I have been playing Civ for over 20 years and this game enthralls me in a way that Civ hasn't always (still love Civ of course). What drew me to CK and EU draws me to this game too. Bravo, really. A great basis for a game.

I absolutely think expanding to the Middle Ages is warranted. Late Antiquity had just as much family dynamics as Classical Era. Sometimes moreso. I think that to enable this, a mechanic should be introduced around the idea of an "Empire" which isn't currently in the game, starting at the beginning. It should be a threshold that you work towards and then you implement certain decisions to form your nation into an "Empire" as long as certain criteria are met (should include size, military, tech). (Think forming or re-forming dead Empires in EU). The premise should not change the game much in the current era, but would matter toward the end of what we now consider a full game. The other players can also form Empires but it should be difficult enough that it is self limiting to achieve even on a huge map. (Think Rome and Persia - only two real "Empires" of the era). Once you create an "Empire", there should be an added "administrative region" layer that can include several cities and have it's own seperate Governor. There should be a limit to the number of regions, and a region should include some added minor bonuses. It also changes your leader to Emperor and add a new set of "advisors" called imperial guard that you can appoint. The loyalty of these guards will be important and if they drop too low can cause negative events like your leader getting killed and replaced with one of them or another choice. Loyalty of territorial governor's will be important too as they can rebel and take several cities with them.

Eventually, to enable the transition to middle ages, there should come a point where (maybe with a certain tech or being an Empire as a trigger) a combination of Tribe migrations start appearing and loyalty decay increasing in provincial governors as losses mount. (-40 Opinion, Fighting in Governed Province). You can appease the waves of barbs with treaties to give them cities as vassals or let them join your armies, etc but these will come at a cost of increasing risk of bad events (army revolts, cities declaring independence). Giving a city to a tribe within a Governor's territory should significantly harm their loyalty, as well. Letting them in your army should hurt your relation with the imperial guard and also increase the number of full-blooded tribe-folk in the pool to select from for those positions with less loyalty to you. You of course can also choose to attempt to keep fighting at great cost to your empire which may eventually spur your Governors to declare independence...

Anyway, the goal would be fractionation of the larger Empires to create a "middle ages" effect. Those who remain will come out very changed in both population and societal structure.

Anyway, lots of nonsense here butnthe goal is to not take away from the early game and respect the game in it's current state, as the goal is to still build up and expand to the Empire we all want to be, it can just add a really cool "late game" dynamic that can keep the game fun after you already feel like you won the first portion.

Just thinking out loud!!

So tribes would be able to form cities then?
I envisioned that they would just appear as units in waves, almost like a "horde" mode, and you can choose via decisions to either keep fighting (angering your comfortable populace), giving them cities which would become vassals, or recruiting them into the army. So they do not found the cities. They either are granted them or take them forcibly (as happened in history).

If you have every played Stellaris I kinda think of it like an "Endgame Crisis" - by this point in the game you are either the only or one of the only Empires and this would be a way to keep the endgame both historical and fun. It makes the early game even more important because the stronger you are by the time the migrations happen, the greater the chance your Empire (or part of it) can weather the storm.

Or with my luck, I'll be locked in a war with another end-game Empire right when the migrations happen and have to split up my armies.

If you're smaller, can't you hide better? ^^

Touche, and to that point, I don't think anyone should HAVE to go the "Empire" path. Once city challenge or those who simply stay a default nation format can still continue on living amongst the Empires, and perhaps they can have their own events associated with their unique position (fleeing folks from the Empire boost population or show up as added soldiers for your army, court members or governors from nearby Empires could flee to you and the tribes will come hunting...etc.)

Some great suggestions thus far - I particularly like the Empire suggestion. Perhaps, taking some hints from Stellaris, a pre-existing Empire could spawn on the map at game start (so for example, the game for the player would begin when Rome or Persia were at their height, and they serve as a kind of end-game boss) with the intention of supplanting them for control of the old world. The player could take advantage of migrant crises to tear a powerful empire apart. :D

I would love to see the addition of family trees for each of the player's vassal families. I would find that much more interesting and engaging than just a list of living members. The dynasty can be better traced and hopefully give more interesting information to the player to make informed choices.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Top Bottom