What happened to CIV4PlotLSystem.xml in BtS?

Jean Elcard

The Flavournator
I was using CIV4PlotLSystem.xml extensively for my self-made improvements to rotate them or let them cut the trees in their surroundings for example in the previous versions of civ4. How am I supposed to do stuff like this now without this essential file?

Ok, I found the solution, but it is unbelievable what I had to do. I don't know why Firaxis has done something like this.

I recognized that Civ4PlotLSystem.xml was not the only file gone missing with Beyond the Sword. After all it sumed up to 47 xml files gone in comparison to the original Civilization 4 and 37 new ones.

CIV4BonusInfos.xml is one of the missing files and I decided to try to change the original version of it in Civ4/Assets to see if it might have some effect on BtS, but nothing changed. I decided to try the same with the CIV4BonusInfos.xml file in the Civ4/Warlords/Assets folder and I have to say, I was quite surprised that my change in a Warlords file manifested itself in Beyond the Sword. :eek:

What if I had decided to uninstall Warlords? No working BtS anymore or what?

CIV4BonusInfos.xml is one of the missing files and I decided to try to change the original version of it in Civ4/Assets to see if it might have some effect on BtS, but nothing changed. I decided to try the same with the CIV4BonusInfos.xml file in the Civ4/Warlords/Assets folder and I have to say, I was quite surprised that my change in a Warlords file manifested itself in Beyond the Sword. :eek:?

Strange I could have sworn I tried using that file earlier and I got all sorts of error messages when I did. Anyway, that's not the only Warlords file that you need to use in order to affect the game. The deafult Python map generator file will cause many of the map types to disappear in the main menu, but the one from Warlords works fine.

What if I had decided to uninstall Warlords? No working BtS anymore or what?

Warlords is installed along with BtS so I'm not sure if you can remove it.

Strange I could have sworn I tried using that file earlier and I got all sorts of error messages when I did.

First I just changed the Warlords file without moving it. No XML errors.

After moving the Warlords file to my modular XML mod folder instead I had to copy the CIV4TerrainSchema.xml there too, but the one from Beyond the Sword. Funny thing to do, but somehow logical if you think about it. No XML errors.

Anyway, that's not the only Warlords file that you need to use in order to affect the game. The deafult Python map generator file will cause many of the map types to disappear in the main menu, but the one from Warlords works fine.

Not a cery good solution of Firaxis'. I'm sure a lot of people will stumble over this.

Warlords is installed along with BtS so I'm not sure if you can remove it.

Oh, I didn't know that. Had it installed before installing BtS.

I think that files that remained unchanged aren't in the expansion folders. That makes sense to me, why duplicate a file when you can just read it from a lower level?

I think that files that remained unchanged aren't in the expansion folders. That makes sense to me, why duplicate a file when you can just read it from a lower level?

True, but why would the default BonusInfos file not work, but the one from Warlords does? AFAIK, no changes have been made there since the initial release.

Top Bottom