What happened to my units EXP.

Bigv32

Prince
I just upgraded my units and they lost some experience. Why does this happen and is there a way to predict how much they will lose?

I believe your experienced units reset to 10 XP but retain the promotions upon promotion. Thus a 16 XP CR III sword upgraded to a rifle is a CRIII rifle with 10XP and thus needs 7 more XP for the next promotion instead of 1 for the sword.

I think the exception are units with an attached GG such as the medic III super healer.

not 100% sure. But I think they go back to 2-5-10-etc. for noncharismatic. They go back to the bottom of the level they reached.

Whenever you upgrade a unit that has more than 10 exp it is reduced to 10 exp, but keeps any promotions it already has. So, as madscientist says, if you have a unit on 15 or 16 exp, it makes sense to get to 17 and take the promotion before upgrading.

Mad Scientist is correct.

Yes, units with more than 10xp are "reset" to 10xp upon upgrade.

If that bugs you, it's easily moddable. Copy "GlobalDefines.xml" into your CustomAssets\xml folder. Now open the copy in Notepad and look for the following text:
Code:
<Define>
	<DefineName>MAX_EXPERIENCE_AFTER_UPGRADE</DefineName>
	<iDefineIntVal>10</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
Change the 10 to any number you'd like. Set it to 100, and you're very unlikely to ever have a unit lose XP by being upgraded. ;)

Thanks for the question and answers.

This is actually pretty nice (if you know about it and plan for it).
Highly promoted units can get their next promotion sooner.

Thanks for the question and answers.

This is actually pretty nice (if you know about it and plan for it).
Highly promoted units can get their next promotion sooner.

No, it doesn't work that way. The upgraded units that get reset to 10xp still need to hit the XP mark that they needed before they were upgraded. So that highly promoted unit may have a hard time ever getting another promo.

Top Bottom