What improvments do you want first?

teks

Prince
First off I think Civ5 is a good game, and will be a great game, but it's not without it's problems.

Personally I think the two biggest game breakers are buildings, and size management.
With an honorable mention for unit costs.

Buildings are absolutely broken. Crazy broken. happiness buildings cost 4-5 gold for 4-5 smileys. That's insane! The + production buildings are pretty expensive too. 90% of the time I will rather taking a little longer to building something, and save hundreds of gold. With these crazy maintenance costs I no longer feel excited about that new + research building, or factory, because I'm likely not going to build it anyway. This kills a very strong part of the civ series, and its easily remedied.

Civ 5 loves small empires, so do I. It's plenty realistic for an empire to conquer half the globe, go bankrupt, and collapse, but we need to be given some options here. These AI's love going to war, and I try to be nice, but danmit they wont settle until I take them over, but I don't want their crappy cities, and I don't want to raze them, since it'll just cause more wars. Vassals, and colonies would be pristine, but at the very least we should have a little more control over puppet states (tell them to focus on research, production, economy, culture), and culture penalties should be reduced in my opinion. IT would also be great if puppets actually built a courthouse once in a while.

Unit costs are steep, which is fine, but noone wants to delete the vets. 25% maintenance for units in a city and 50% for units in a fort.

what are you folks hoping comes first in the patches?

First off I think Civ5 is a good game, and will be a great game, but it's not without it's problems.

Personally I think the two biggest game breakers are buildings, and size management.
With an honorable mention for unit costs.

Buildings are absolutely broken. Crazy broken. happiness buildings cost 4-5 gold for 4-5 smileys. That's insane! The + production buildings are pretty expensive too. 90% of the time I will rather taking a little longer to building something, and save hundreds of gold. With these crazy maintenance costs I no longer feel excited about that new + research building, or factory, because I'm likely not going to build it anyway. This kills a very strong part of the civ series, and its easily remedied.

Civ 5 loves small empires, so do I. It's plenty realistic for an empire to conquer half the globe, go bankrupt, and collapse, but we need to be given some options here. These AI's love going to war, and I try to be nice, but danmit they wont settle until I take them over, but I don't want their crappy cities, and I don't want to raze them, since it'll just cause more wars. Vassals, and colonies would be pristine, but at the very least we should have a little more control over puppet states (tell them to focus on research, production, economy, culture), and culture penalties should be reduced in my opinion. IT would also be great if puppets actually built a courthouse once in a while.

Unit costs are steep, which is fine, but noone wants to delete the vets. 25% maintenance for units in a city and 50% for units in a fort.

what are you folks hoping comes first in the patches?

i agree with just about everything you say and i hope they remedy some of these points. At the moment i always feel like im playing on such a tight leash that the game just doesn't want to let me go and have fun. I know some dudes going to come in here and tell me there's nothing wrong with the game and that i need to get better at it but blah blah blah all i ever want from civ games is too build big empires with massive cities, build armies and have massive battles without having too bother too much about micro managing my cities. At the moment i feel like i have to agonise over every decision i make when i need to build something new and that for me is the non fun part of the game.

Just to be clear i do like CiV but i think it needs changes like the topic starter suggested to make it more fun as a game. Here's hoping

After reading many threads with the complaints about buildings/units costs too high, im wondering if im wrong in thinking that its me having to adapt to the new game or what. We can start huge discussions about it, but imho the game has its rules, its designed and balanced on them, i'd suggest ppl to change their mindset first and come back in a few weeks. heck, i've been playing for a week only now, i dont dare to give advices to the devs on the mechanics or game balance, i still have to get a grip mself. My feelings on what needs to be improved for now are just 2: fix the texture drawing thing if possible (to me it detracts quite a lot to see the map drawn in real time while i play, never happened in any game that i know of), then over time pls improve the AI to be more effective and dangerous (will take time and a lot of effort, i think we have to be lenient on this one).

They gotta fix everything you said, plus more. And if they do Firaxis' style, they'll release 4, maybe 5 patches. But if they can acheive Civ4's quality, I'll be happy... Too bad it will be around 2012!

Cheers!

Mad Hab

They have to fix the AI. Nothing else is important compared to that. Nothing.

Top Bottom