What is the best timing for your 1st Colony Pod production?

What is the best timing for your 1st Colony Pod production?

• As quick as possible, even starting the production at size 1 to built actually at size 2

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • At city size 2 after completing 20 food in storage, so population doesn't go down when its built

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Only after considering things like Formers or Recycling Tanks, because its about resources afterall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consider expanding after adequate exploration; and besides, War production might be more important

• During your first Pop Boom before you build your Hab Complex (3-7), so it costed just 2 food surplus

• Total voters

Concept

Chieftain
I can see each point is valid, but that doesn't make it best, necessarily. So, which answer is best, or would you default to? I invite conversation and view points on this very elementry topic.

In the early game, it's important to get a few out. SMAC meta has always been about wide gameplay.

The ideal nutrient/industry balance for making colony pods at size 2, to fill 20 food and 3 rows of colony pod production is (2 food surplus/3 industry surplus), I think.
Now, what if your short on food? Would you consider a Recycling Tanks or former unit then?
What if your short on minerals, would you consider buying the production of the colony pod when the resources are filled or a former to create a forest?
What if you have an industry surplus, would you produce other units too to explore, while you're waiting to produce the colony pods?
And, then, are there situations when its better to have a colony pod out quick, just to have a second base constructed quick, instead of waiting to fill 20 food surplus in the city when it is at size 2?
The pop boom idea is a pop explosion idea, where colony pods are at their cheapest. Does that idea deserve merit, in your mind?

For me it's pretty much ASAP, with the caveat that there is sufficient exploration and defense available that I don't just lose it to a mind worm!!

Top Bottom