What strategy does everyone use?

I want to continue with my gaming experience:

I continued the game from my earlier posts. And i must admit that i see no way to win it. I am just overwhelmed by the AI. In the Mediterranean Sea there are nearly 25 ships from france and britain. For my (pimped) town of Hamburg it will take nearly 30 rounds to built a Bismarck class, and weaker ships take 5 round less each class below bismarck. So the very experienced fleet i sent to support the italian navy, which was just incompetent and outnumbered there killed 10+ ships on the way down, and is then overwhelmed by a crazy number of ships of all classes and of course aircrafts. I think i won't be able to get to Marseille with the ships to rotate them for a little healing...
Also war on USSR went well in the start, but just because there are 20 sovjet units invading finland. The map in the east is (which is good!!!) so freaking wide that i had to split my 25+ Units into a middle, north and south army. I take these crazy high strength cities one by one, like 6 cities in 10 rounds, and i killed 15+ units, but still there a carpet of doom waiting for me and nearly stopped my progression. So i met the first heavy tanks from sovjets (the ones with the high tower and huge cannon, forgot their name) with a 75 combat Str. They are so hard to kill and a pain in the ass of my full upgraded and nearly unstoppable Panzer IV Version H (full Shock, full drill, bonus on wounded, reduced reinforcements etc.). I managed to kill one of these with massive airsupport and blitz tank attacks, but now i see 4 more coming in the south. Additional to all the other units. Its the numbers that is crazy. Even so early in war.
While war in south and east is nearly over and just drains all my ressources and powers, there is absolutely no way to invade in UK. London is spitting out the 8th 75 str battleship which i instantly sink with my subs and Tirpitz (all units full targeting, logistics, supply promotions!) within 1-2 rounds. But then 2 rounds later there is a new one leaving London, additional to the cruisers that are destroyed on the fly by my Scharnhorst/Deutschland classes in Amsterdam/city in the outer north west of france. This is just crazy, because even my 15+ Messerschmidt 110 / Junkers 88 C (promoted to interception) can't compete with the RAF bombing 3 towns on the coastline to Zero hp every round and take 20 dmg on my ships on open sea each freaking turn. When i look on the numbers of RAF planes i suffer an heartattack, and they are all on FULL hp every new round. The suffer 3-8 dmg most of the time but when the round is over they are all having 67+ HP. Wtf? No way to stop them because they will never get decimated. I never see any yellow hp bar.
Although the homeland of France is completely taken more or less fast, 10 rounds after the fall of France there are like 20 Units (tanks, legion and infantrie) that are now wiping out italian african colonies. Its just crazy. Even when o throw all my powers just to the units that appeared in Africa it would be a tough fight to stop this wave...
So yesterday i decided to stop the game because it would make no sense to continue. The pure numbers of AI units is crazy. As long as nobody sees a major mistake in my playstyle i think there needs to be a adjustion on the balance.
The enemies produce crazy numbers and act pretty clever, my allies supports me nearly zero. I mean Denmark had 2 Artilleries, 3 Infatrie and 3 cruisers. Denmark. Whole Romania had 3 Infatries when entering war with USSR, thats it... Italy is parking nearly 5-10 Units on the northern coast of France and are commonly decimated by RAF, while they park their cruisers in cities and nailed their airforce on the ground. It's pretty ugly to see that italy is so incompetent and passive whil eare fully invaded in Africa. Also their navy never attacks, there was a french destroye, lonesome at sicilia, confronted with 4 stupidly moving destroyers and a Battleship, which attacked the battleship 3-4 times and ended in red hp bar. Never ever did the Battleship nor one of the freaking cruisers attack or sink the wounded ship. 99% of french and british fleet/airforce focussing on my 7 ships now. while italy is passively gimping around... This is hopefully not intended and going to be fixed.

I would liuke to recommend to add some restrictions to AI even on Diety. I mean on the Diploscreen before war i can see something like Charle de Gaulle, 12k gold, -247 gpt. 5 Rounds later 14k Gold, -263 gpt, and 10 more units built. I mean seriously, i pimped the map in Germany a little bit, not much but more than original, i conquered lot and fast, i nearly never lost a unit but i have no chance to compete. I mean compete not dominate. I struggle unit maintenance and gpt. The Demographics show me on top of everything, but still Britain has 50% more soldiers (me like 480.000, UK nearly 800.000). Weakest one is Italy with 390.000. Although France has lost its whole homeland an just consists of mostly 1 population cities in Desert with zero improved tiles, they outnumber Italy to the fullest.

So please Gedemon, adjust that lvl to an realistic amount of units and a realistic chance to compete to the AI.

that's on the 1936 scenario ?

I'm focusing on the Europe 1939/1945 scenario and the Stalingrad scenario for my test (smaller/quicker)

You'll have to report the balance issues to T_KCommanderbly, but I think he is already aware of it. There is the possibility to limit the number of each units via the scenario define files, if you want to test some values I'll post a "how to..." in the development thread when back from work.

Yes Sir! Do it! :) or just pm me where these values can be found. I find some of the scripts quite intuitive. So just tell where these values are, i'll ask if i panic while watching your code ^^

Sry 4 asking again, T-KCommanderbly is reading this or should we make a thread for balance issues?

Yes Sir! Do it! :) or just pm me where these values can be found. I find some of the scripts quite intuitive. So just tell where these values are, i'll ask if i panic while watching your code ^^

Sry 4 asking again, T-KCommanderbly is reading this or should we make a thread for balance issues?
I won't have time to do it tonight, but will do tomorrow.

The scenarios thread are the best place to talk about balance IMO :)

I suspect the AI to buy units.
Possible, I've raised the define for AI buying units IIRC

Ya, im reading ;)

I know excessive units is a problem and I did limit them by a lot, and you can edit the values if you want to limit them by more. The Gold issue is something wrong with the vanilla game, a lower difficulty might restrict the AI more but I don't know. To a certain extent I do like it because it does makes the game harder.

One problem with production is that with France and England having all their colonies they are producing units at a very fast rate. Im hoping to solve that with a colony building which I have in the new scenario Im working on. I also would like to restrict production especially for the democratic nations when they are not at war, so when they are at war a total war like production comes into play. Both of those may work I will definetly add them to the 1936 scenario when I've tested it :)

See last post in the development thread.

I love the mod - way better than vanilla civ :)

I struggled with v26 as no saves would ever load and my computer eventually crashed after around 30 days of being left on! v30 seems to save and load brilliantly so I'm playing a 39-45 game as the UK.

I was just looking for tips on strategy. Playing on deity the uk simply cannot help france at the start (and france just sets all it's cities to build hospitals or broadcast towers as their cities fall. Seriously, it didn't produce a single unit until it was down to one city - fall of scenarios crash on my middling pc) and once france is gone the german ai ruthlessly grinds on (good thing).

However the italians produce more than me and even after kicking them out of North Africa and being cheeky I took Saudi Arabia, Iran and Turkey with a handful of tanks - plus taking Sardinia, Sicily, Rhodes and the tip of the italian boot by the start of 1942 I'm now stuffed.

Russia is losing hand over fist. Germany now has 3 times my production and 4 times my army. I've tried nibbling at northern france or norway but instantly the german ai brings in numerous planes and destroys any units I have (current record was 32 planes in one turn). I can take nothing without the ai airpower destroying it instantly (why does the maximum air damage rule not apply to the ai as well btw? It's massively distorting) and retaking a city with a single unit.

And all the time my enemies are producing at twice my speed. I'm only at Oct 1942 but I can't see how this is remotely winnable from an allies perspective.

Tips welcome! I love a hard scenario, but not an impossible one! :)

Top Bottom