What type of mod are you working on?

Dr Elmer Jiggle said:
I'm not going to make a formal post following your template for this one yet, but I've also been working on prototyping some ideas about making it easier to merge multiple event handler mods. Currently it's not far beyond the idea stage and doesn't really work in any useful way. What I have is actually fairly similar in concept to some stuff that SimCutie posted recently, though my implementation is somewhat different.

Basically the idea is to allow you to register your custom handler functions with a single custom event handler that would never be changed. So each new mod would simply register its interest in whatever events it needs to deal with, and the custom handler would notify it whenever that event occurs. Essentially it's the standard observer or listener design pattern (which is the way it should have been implemented from the get-go by Firaxis :rolleyes: ... Anyway ...)

Agreed, though I've been on projects where we've done it the way that Firaxis did it as it's easier to code (but a biatch if you want to expand it). Eventually, we switched to the listener method because of code maintainability, but if you're under time pressures..... :p

Req

Requies said:
I know I saw something in one of the objects about when you can talk to someone or not, but I don't remember what it was. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you on that.

Thanks. I've searched quite extensively through the Python for Civilization IV Class Reference looking for just about every keyword I can think of (war, refuse, diplo, trade, talk, and probably more than a dozen others). I've also looked quite a bit at the Python diplomacy code and the XML files. So far nothing has jumped out.

I played around quite a bit with the getTradeDenial and canTradeItem methods in the CyPlayer class, and I haven't figured out how to get those to do it either. I got the methods to work, but they don't seem to tell me when the AI is refusing to talk.

If you need any help with it, let me know. I've taken a couple of looks into CvEventManager, but haven't really changed much.

OK, thanks. I may have some questions for you later about gold available for trade. I've been looking through your advisor code for the trade stuff, but I'm currently getting the wrong value for gold trades, which I believe is a problem you had at one point but managed to solve somehow. I think I'm doing exactly the same calculation you do in the advisor, but I seem to be getting a different answer. If I can nail it down better I'll start a new thread about this mod specifically, since it's about to get way off topic for this thread if we discuss it further here. ;)

Civilization IV: Tactics

Battalion-level Tactical Mod

General Category
Complete Modification (New Gametype)

More specific information
This mod will feature each player as the commander of a Battalion (or perhaps Regiment) with several players allied within the same Division. With each unit representing roughly a platoon or tactically-similar unit.

Some major gameplay changes will be:

-Technologies will not represent new innovations so much as new supplies delivered to the Battalion HQ, with which the units in the field can be resupplied and reinforcements uoutfitted (personnel being one of the supplies).

-Units will have limited supplies of ammunition and must be resupplied from the HQ or supply dumps.

-Units will be able to attack at ranges of more than one square, and movement will also be scaled accordingly.

-Artillery and aerial bombardments will cause area-effect damage, but depending on the type of artillery, it may have limited mobility (e.g. it may require other units to move, or it may be a permanant emplacement)

-Additional units will be available, including: supply trucks, transport planes, airborne infantry units, gun emplacements

While this is not an exhaustive list of the changes planned, it does, at least, give some idea of the direction and scope of the project.

One of my goals is to also release code snippets and such as various bits are completed in order to help future modders in their quest to see how things work.

Timetable (expected finish date)
This will be a complete modification, and cannot be completed until the SDK is released. However, I am planning on releasing a partial mod including everything that can be done without the SDK, providing it's completed before the SDK is released.

Until the SDK comes out, I'm not really in need of assistance, but if you do wish to contact me, please do so via PM.

Kushan said:
...For a hundread years the Eastern Roman Empire have battled the Muslim turks for control of the holy land. Even with their recent defeats the Romans in the east are still the major power in the region...

the "Romans in the east" by that time were called the Byzantines, if I'm not mistaken

Nope, They reffered to themselves as the Eastern Romans, only outsiders called them the Byzantines. They were in fact very proud of their Roman heritage.

Kushan

By that same token, who ever referred to themselves as Barbarians?

To bring this thread to top again, I have a change in my current works :

"Modified Special Domestic Advisor 1.8" has been released right now! (give it a try).

Next project is an improvment of the Plot List Enhancements.

Top Bottom