What type of mod are you working on?

Requies

Prince
I'm hoping this will be some sort of thread where we can figure out which modders are working on what type of changes since there seems to be a lot of duplication of effort going on.

This thread was inspired by the conversation on this page

At least with a centralized thread, you could possibly contact others who are working on similar projects and maybe work together to create something even better than what you could create individually.

Ideally, this post would be stickied, so that anyone could take a glance a see what different modders were working on.

So, please post what you are currently working on in this thread, and hopefully, I'll be able to update it fairly regularly, so that people will have an idea of what others are working on.

Please use the format described in the second post to post to this thread.

Req

Format of post

Name of mod

General Category of mod

General Categories (Please, pick at least one of these)
- Interface
- Graphics
- New Civilizations/Units
- Game mechanics changes (Overarching game changes)
- Gameplay tweaks (Era/Unit specific tweaks)
- Utility functions
- General
- Scenario
- New Gametype

Specific part you're focusing on
Examples:
Interface - Domestic Advisor, Foreign Advisor, Military Advisor, City View, Main Interface, World View
Game mechanics changes - Civics, Tech Tree, Religion
Gameplay tweaks - Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial, Modern
New Gametype - Fantasy, Planet-based Futuristic, Space-based Futuristic, Roman Era, etc.

Timetable (expected finish date)

Best contact method (PM, e-mail, etc.)

Link to your mod thread (if you want it)

Interface

Graphics

Additions

Game mechanics changes

Gameplay tweaks

Utility functions

General
Scenario
  • Ancient
  • Classical
  • Medieval
    • Kushan [Medieval Mod] (2006/02/28)
  • Renaissance
    • Dale [Age of Discover 1492-1792] (2006/02/28)
  • Industrial
  • Modern
  • Futuristic
  • Fantasy

New Gametype
  • Combat Simulation
    • Déja [Civilization IV: Tactics] (????/??/??) dependent upon SDK release date.
  • Fantasy
    • Kael [Fall from Heaven] (2006/02/10)
  • Planet-based Futuristic
  • Space-based Futuristic
    • Raize [Battletech Mod - The Inner Sphere] (2006/07/??)
    • Falkonite [Cosmic Era - Gundam] (2008?)
    • vbraun [Space Armada?] (2007?)

Name: Composite Mod
Current Version: v1.6
Last Update: 01/08/06
Planned Next Update: 01/28/06

General Category
-- Combination

-- Industrial-Modern Era (Planning to Rewrite Tech Tree starting with Steam Power)
-- Multiplayer Functionality (Usable in Multiplayer Enviroment)
-- Gameplay Tweaks
-- Merging Mods

-- Ongoing untill I get bored with Civ4 (its bound to happen eventually)

More Detail
-- 21 New Units
-- 1 New Building
-- 30 New Promotions
-- 9 Major Gameplay Changes
-- 5 New Civilizations
-- 2 Interface Modifications
-- 14 Total Merged Mods

Best Method of Contact
-- Any IM Program (MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo are all in forum profile)
-- Forum PM

Name: Fall from Heaven (sorry Requies, I had to add to add a category)

General Category of mod: Fantasy Mod

Categories: Its a complete remake, civics, religions, units, techs etc etc. It also adds spells that summon creatures, fireballs and buff units.

Specific part you're focusing on: Everything

Timetable (expected finish date): Phase 1 is set to close Febuary 10th, 2005 (at which point I will set into phase 2). The mod's first version was released on December 16th 2005.

Kael said:
Name: Fall from Heaven (sorry Requies, I had to add to add a category)

General Category of mod: Fantasy Mod

Categories: Its a complete remake, civics, religions, units, techs etc etc. It also adds spells that summon creatures, fireballs and buff units.

Timetable (expected finish date): Phase 1 is set to close Febuary 10th, 2005 (at which point I will set into phase 2). The mod's first version was released on December 16th 2005.

No problem. Actually, the categories aren't set in stone, because I'm pretty sure I missed a lot of different types of mods. I changed yours to gametype (basically a new game) and made it fantasy as the subcategory.

In fact, if anyone else wants to suggest new categories or new ways to group the mods, feel free to chime in :cool:.

Req

Name: Warhammer 40k

General Category of mod: Futuristic total conversion

Categories: A total conversion based on the Warhammer 40k universe

Timetable (expected finish date): As I can't do any work on it at uni, and assuming the ability to import units arrives soon, then I'll expect to release the first version in April.

EDIT: And what does the (1/15) mean after the mod name? 1 out of 15? Eh?

Exavier said:
Name: Composite Mod
Current Version: v1.5
Last Update: 12/30/05

General Category
-- Combination

-- Industrial-Modern Era (other eras based on what i find already made as i lack ideas there)
-- Multiplayer Functionality

-- Ongoing untill I get bored with Civ4 (its bound to happen eventually)

EDIT: stop changing the info wanted list on me lol

Sorry :p. So what specifically are you doing?

Making tweaks to game play? Changing the interface? Combining other mods? Something else?

Req

stop changing what your looking for and I will update it more...

Mostly its Industrial-Modern era gameplay tweaks and additions as well as combining other mods into it while still keeping Multiplayer Functionality.

You know what i think i will just get ahead of you in info... just in case (pulls out changelog and starts counting changes)

EDIT: Better? :p

Exavier said:
stop changing what your looking for and I will update it more...

Mostly its Industrial-Modern era gameplay tweaks and additions as well as combining other mods into it while still keeping Multiplayer Functionality.

You know what i think i will just get ahead of you in info... just in case (pulls out changelog and starts counting changes)

LOL, I'm just trying to clarify, not get more information! :p....

Hmmm, what to classify it as.... Perhaps "Gameplay (Industrial-Modern)" and "General (Combination)"?

What is the Multiplayer Functionality thing?

Req

The Great Apple said:
EDIT: And what does the (1/15) mean after the mod name? 1 out of 15? Eh?

Date for next planned version release i am assuming.

Requies said:
What is the Multiplayer Functionality thing?

Req

My Mod is balanced and tested for bugs in a Multiplayer Enviroment. It works in singleplayer but its been put through its paces in Multiplayer games and is stable for them.

EDIT: I've made so many changes its hard to clasify it to one specific type. Hence why i named it the Composite Mod :p

Exavier said:
Date for next planned version release i am assuming.

My Mod is balanced and tested for bugs in a Multiplayer Enviroment. It works in singleplayer but its been put through its paces in Multiplayer games and is stable for them.

Ah, ok, thanks.....

Hmmmm, what category to put that in.... What extra stuff does it take to be put in a Multiplayer game? Does it require extra coding? Is there some check you need to bypass? Or is it something else?

ED: Oh yes, it is date for next planned release.

Req

Requies said:
Ah, ok, thanks.....

Hmmmm, what category to put that in.... What extra stuff does it take to be put in a Multiplayer game? Does it require extra coding? Is there some check you need to bypass? Or is it something else?

ED: Oh yes, it is date for next planned release.

Req

There really isn't anything that needs to be bypassed or special coding... mostly balance and stability issues.
Mods that use the CustomAssets folder are incompatable with MP games (and more so since the last game patch when the option was disabled).

Also you have to pay alot more attention to balance because your not just throwing the units aginst the AIs but aginst other players. And if a unit is overpowered it can seriously break the game in a MP game (after all the AI doesn't understand overpowered where a human will make use of it lol). Also you have to make sure your stuff is more stable because you have to maintain sync between multiple machines. I have seen some python scrypts which would fail this instantly.

EDIT: forgot to add 1 other thing... I am modifying the tech tree in my stated eras as well... just something to note, but thats not out till the next release :p

Exavier said:
There really isn't anything that needs to be bypassed or special coding... mostly balance and stability issues.
Mods that use the CustomAssets folder are incompatable with MP games (and more so since the last game patch when the option was disabled).

Also you have to pay alot more attention to balance because your not just throwing the units aginst the AIs but aginst other players. And if a unit is overpowered it can seriously break the game in a MP game (after all the AI doesn't understand overpowered where a human will make use of it lol). Also you have to make sure your stuff is more stable because you have to maintain sync between multiple machines. I have seen some python scrypts which would fail this instantly.

EDIT: forgot to add 1 other thing... I am modifying the tech tree in my stated eras as well... just something to note, but thats not out till the next release :p

Ok, gotcha. Should I break the Gameplay changes into more subcategories?

Req

Name of Mod: The 65-Civ Mod!
General Category: Adding New Civs (Sorry, another new category.:p )
Gameplay Changes: Lets you and the AI play as one of 65 Civilizations. Hopefully, at one time in the near future.
Specific Part You're Focusing On: I guess Gameplay Changes?
Timetable: Goal Release Date: Febuary 21st, 2006

Requies said:
Ok, gotcha. Should I break the Gameplay changes into more subcategories?

Req

Do you need more? as I would probobly cover everything in that area easily.

I would add a section for tech tree modification for those eras though... as thats hard enough to do without stepping on someone elses toes :p

You should include the name of the mod up with the author's name.

Name: Civics Mod

General Category: Totally revamping the civics system.

Gameplay Changes: Want to add even greater choice and diversity to the civics system-particularly in the Ancient and Classical ages.

Specific Part you are focusing on: Well, the civics of course :mischief:.

Timetable: Hah (ROTFL), when I start to make some genuine progress THEN I will set a timetable ;). On the upside, though, Slavery now actually adds a slave to your cities and Serfdom adds a Serf-so I guess THAT counts as some progress doesn't it? ;)

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Top Bottom