What Would Ghengis Do?

GalleySlave

Chieftain
Turn 35 on a Small Pangea map, Emperor difficulty. China has spawned closest, and I've already sent a trade route their way in anticipation of taking them down first (which would be true to history, if nothing else). But now I'm thinking - maybe I should take on Spain, to the north, first? - and let Qin build me some wonders in the meantime. There's a nice patch of desert just east of Xi'an that would do nicely for the Pyramids (Qin, are you listening?).

I've never invaded China with Great Walls up - how much of a hassle are they? Maybe I should take out China first after all...the Spanish have serious barb issues on their northern frontier, they're probably going to be distracted with that for a while...on the other other hand I'm going to forward settle them (the Zhangye Danxia to the NW is too tempting to pass up), so maybe I should just hit them, since Philip's not going to be happy with me anyway.

Also trying to decide whether to build one more city (to put in the marked location east of my capital), or just start cranking out the military. What Would Ghengis Do?...

WWGD.png

I'd settle to the two horses to the east, near what looks to be a CS and go full on horse rush versus China before they get real walls. That'll give you better tempo and faster expansion. I don't worry about the AI building me wonders - all AIs wonder spam, put them in unideal locations. The Great Wall is of no concern since the AI can't make educated decisions regarding the placement of the UI itself or defending units. It's not much different than a defending unit on a forest, jungle, or hill. If you stumble across any, enjoy the free gold rewards from the pillage.

I'd settle to the two horses to the east, near what looks to be a CS and go full on horse rush versus China before they get real walls. That'll give you better tempo and faster expansion. I don't worry about the AI building me wonders - all AIs wonder spam, put them in unideal locations. The Great Wall is of no concern since the AI can't make educated decisions regarding the placement of the UI itself or defending units. It's not much different than a defending unit on a forest, jungle, or hill. If you stumble across any, enjoy the free gold rewards from the pillage.

Thanks for your thoughts. Only issue settling near the 2 horses is I can't settle on the river, it's too close to the city-state off to the east; I could settle the western of the two horse tiles. Hmm.

@GalleySlave The plains hill above the left horse is where I'd consider and it's a 1 tile buy to the 2/3/1 ivory and another tile buy for the other horse. It's 3 tiles away from both CSs. You can aqueduct to the mountain for fresh water. The settle would be primarily for the horses but it's a quality location with good workable tiles and districting. Happy hunting!

Horseman rush vs China worked out pretty well. They didn't have any Great Walls (and no wonders - Spain built the Pyramids), but lots of mines for the early Classical, and a campus in nearly every city, so fairy profitable even without the Raid policy being available yet.

china done.png

Spain's next, but it's going to be a bit of a slog, as half their cities are already walled, and some of their cities are in the middle of mountains with limited access. Time to build some siege weapons...

Last edited:
If you were Pericles, would you be worried? I would be worried. And building walls, not that it'll help much.

nervous greeks.png

Top Bottom