When Civ1 doesn't work on your windows version...

No demo here!

hey guys, i just got the dos version of CIV from ebay and installed dosbox however i dont know how to install it. no instructions or nothing. when i start dosbox it has (z:\>) on it. i typed install and alot of other stuff but cant install it. i have windows 2000. hope you could help. thanks

hey guys, i just got the dos version of CIV from ebay and installed dosbox however i dont know how to install it.

I assume you mean you installed DOSBox but don't know the next step(s). If so:

1. Create a directory for DOS programs, like C:\DOS
  2. Copy civilization files to a directory, e.g. C:\DOS\CIV (running Civilization's installer is unnecessary)
  3. Open dosbox.conf
  4. Find [autoexec] at the end and add
    • mount C C:\DOS
    • C:
  5. Run DOSBox; you should see it run the commands you added and place you into C:\>
  6. Type
    • cd civ
    • civ
  7. You should now be playing the game

Hi Everyone,

Found the original Cd with both Mantis ... never played it ... And Civilization ...

can't get the Civilization to run it is in Dos get as far as which directory on C drive? [\MPS\CIV]

And nothing more happens

Any suggestions ???? :confused: :mad: :cry:

Help Needed

Zsarina:

Thanks

I manage to get it to run the problem was my cd was in E drive and the program was asking me to insert a cd in D drive ...

Only played a little of it and Gee is was rudimentary .... lol graphics wise etc.

So thanks anyway

Zsarina

How does one go about opening dosbox.conf? It prompts me to find an application that can open it, and I don't know what to use. :confused:

Dosbox has a lot of options. Usualy starting with having to mount a drive, diskstation or cdrom drive... Reading the help files of dosbox works out pretty good. :crazyeye:

Ny.

oh man, I got a copy but it is on floppy "bangs head" my computer doesn't have a floppy drive, I need help, if you responded please PM me

Hope this is an appropriate thread (not that there's THAT much traffic on the Civ1 forum! :)) I'm not sure I grasp all the "ins and outs" here. Back 10-15 years ago, I played Civ for DOS. I don't think I knew at the time that there were versions 1-5, and I didn't know there was "WinCiv" until looking at this forum. I had been thinking of buying from an Amazon seller who mentioned having a CD (then I don't have to worry about receiving the game and then finding 5.25" disks I can't use)...then when I was reading this thread I thought, "Hm, maybe the CD is the WinCiv version which some people have said they don't like." But from Zsarina and Whelkman's exchange, I get the impression that just because you have a CD copy, doesn't mean it is WinCiv--at least, not necessarily (since Whelkman said to use DOSBox). Am I getting this right? I don't recall seeing a way to contact the sellers listed on Amazon in advance of purchase, but I could try looking again--is it worth it (in your opinion) to do that to ensure not only getting either a CD or 3.5" disks but also CivDOS and even a specific version (the FAQ recommends v1 or v5)? I feel like this is more complicated than I wanted... I didn't realize all this "genetic variation" that apparently exists for the first Civ! :crazyeye:

EDIT: By the way, I have Windows XP. Sounds like CivDOS should work with that if I use DOSBox (which I already have), is that correct?

jmas,

The CD I have is a four title pack-in that was included with Creative Labs' CD-ROM multimedia kit from the mid-90s. Along with Civilization are F-117A Stealth Fighter, Railroad Tycoon, and Silent Service 2. I was under the impression that this was the only CD-ROM option for CivDOS until I came to this forum and saw advertising for this vendor:

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/civiliz.htm

I use DOSBox to run Civilization. Although some report success with XP's virtualized DOS, I've had the same "extreme lag" issue running Civilization inside Windows since 3.0. Supposedly, selecting "IBM Sounds" mitigates the issue. Another note is that the updated sound drivers were not included with any release copy. These will help even through emulation. Find them here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5693645#post5693645

Finally, I believe Civ came standard on 3.5" disks. Though a pain, USB floppy drives are still actively sold if you need to resort to that.

Thank you Whelkman--that was helpful. I do have a 3.5" drive, just not a 5.25" drive--at least one seller mentioned having 5.25" disks, several others said "floppy disks" without specifying whether they had 3.5" or 5.25". I think I will either opt for the CivDOS CD like the one in your link, or find a seller specifying 3.5" disks..

Just checked the manual. Apparently Civilization comes in both formats. Sorry for the mis-info.

No worries!

I got civ dos to work on ubuntu today. I feel happy.

Dosbox.

More specific: I cheated. I copied the MPS directory from my windows partition into my home folder. The commands I use are:

Code:
mount c ~
C:
cd MPS
civ

The downside is no sound. This is caused by my computer's lack of sound card, which is not a deal in Windows because the internal speakers work.

Top Bottom