When to fold 'em

commandermerik

Chieftain
I've found myself caught in these situations often enough for me to need to ask for aid. Mainly, after a certain point in the game I will find myself at the point where domination is the most likely way for me to win, and frankly it is my favorite method, however at times I will find myself trying to do something, either I am trying to fight a war with one guy, or I'm just trying to build up my strength and then the you know what hits the fan.

I get mobbed by practically everyone or I have to purposely have everyone mob me if I have a chance at winning.

How am I to deal with this since I've aways ended up quiting once things seem to take a turn for the disasterous. This comes in two flavors;
1) Somebody doesn't like me and I assume that he pays off as much civs he can to mob me, this is much worse when I'm surrounded by these guys.
2) Some jerk becomes a super civ and not only manages to be ahead of me in tech, but also in the sheer size of his territory, and a large amount of friends/vassels.

Like I said I usually try for domination as I can't ever seem to do so well with the other ones, so any advice for getting out of these sticky situations or should I just admit when I've lost as usual.

What level do you play on? If you're on a relatively low level (prince-below) then the AI, though they may have many more units than you, do very stupid thing with their hordes. One time Shaka sent 20 cavalry into my relatively weak east border, but instead of taking cities, they pillaged :/. I usually turn vassal states off, as it makes warmongering much easier and less complicated. I you're on a significantly harder difficulty, the AI will always have many more units than you, and you need at least one decent friend (and some bribery) if you want to survive the inevitable backstabs.

The best way to get out of such a situation is never to get into it in the first place.

Who have you conquered thus far? Did you pick on the easiest, weakest target? Did you take on a warmonger who will become a joke later in the game as he lags behind it techs (cough cough Monty cough cough)? Or did you take on your biggest, scariest opponent and/or the best tech fiend around? If you pursue the latter types of targets, you'll be on easy street in the late game, knocking off weaklings on your final path to victory. Befriend the weaklings and warmongers, kill the powerful and tech-savvy; then, in the end, betray everyone who got you to where you are. This is the path to greatness. (This is also what gets you stabbed in the back by a bunch of untalented ingrates in the Senate, but fortunately for us, this is just a game. ;))

Or perhaps you are one of those people who prefers to wait until he has tanks before he goes a-conquerin'? Don't wait that long. Early rushes are fun. Medieval wars can also be fun, as are early industrial age Rifle/Cannon swarming. The earlier you obtain an advantage, the better off you'll be.

The best way to get out of such a situation is never to get into it in the first place.

Who have you conquered thus far? Did you pick on the easiest, weakest target? Did you take on a warmonger who will become a joke later in the game as he lags behind it techs (cough cough Monty cough cough)? Or did you take on your biggest, scariest opponent and/or the best tech fiend around? If you pursue the latter types of targets, you'll be on easy street in the late game, knocking off weaklings on your final path to victory. Befriend the weaklings and warmongers, kill the powerful and tech-savvy; then, in the end, betray everyone who got you to where you are. This is the path to greatness. (This is also what gets you stabbed in the back by a bunch of untalented ingrates in the Senate, but fortunately for us, this is just a game. ;))

Or perhaps you are one of those people who prefers to wait until he has tanks before he goes a-conquerin'? Don't wait that long. Early rushes are fun. Medieval wars can also be fun, as are early industrial age Rifle/Cannon swarming. The earlier you obtain an advantage, the better off you'll be.

Quite true. Especially because, during medieval times, taking 2-3 cities from a leading civ can cripple for about the rest of the game, and later they'll be easy pickins anyway. Don't go overboard, however; if the lead civ has far more power than you, maybe you should take down no. 2. Also, never go to war for longer than it takes you to achieve your goals (whatever they may be). War seriously drags on your economy/research.

Thanks for the imput. I play on warlord level and usually I play Tokugawa, I love the free promotions, so because of that I usually wait until gunpowder to become aggressive. As a consequence though my early game is a bit weak with little economic boosts.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Quite true. Especially because, during medieval times, taking 2-3 cities from a leading civ can cripple for about the rest of the game, and later they'll be easy pickins anyway. Don't go overboard, however; if the lead civ has far more power than you, maybe you should take down no. 2. Also, never go to war for longer than it takes you to achieve your goals (whatever they may be). War seriously drags on your economy/research.

1. With some planning and experience, you can still go after numero uno, because the AI sucks at war.
  2. War can, under the right circumstances, totally help your economy and research. All that easy gold from pillaging and capturing cities can fund deficit research. But again, get a bit more experience before you play on the knife's edge like that.
Thanks for the imput. I play on warlord level and usually I play Tokugawa, I love the free promotions, so because of that I usually wait until gunpowder to become aggressive. As a consequence though my early game is a bit weak with little economic boosts.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.
Tokugawa is one of the toughest leaders to play as in the game. As you're a relative beginner, I recommend choosing someone easier. Try a Financial leader, for example... but don't get too reliant on it. Charismatic is a better warmongering trait than either Aggressive or especially Protective. Play as Toku when you think you've mastered a level; if you win playing as him, you're ready to move up.

With the traits outlined by sisiutil, Hannibal of the Carthaginians makes a great leader for testing out a new level. He doesn't have much of a UU, but his traits are awesome together. I've probably gotten my best victories with him (or Caesar :p). And yes taking cities gives you lots of money but you're spending all your time building units and not building improvements.

I only fold prior to 2000BC. If I explore and (on higher difficulties) find out that i'm basically boned from the getgo by bad territory/isolation I regen the map.

As Sisiutil said, pick targets wisely. Techers and AI that 'plays to win' are priorities. The only way nine tenths of the AI can even potentially score a win is a space race or a score victory, AI like Mansa Musa, Huyana Capac, Hannibal, and most financial leaders for that matter have a large leg up in that area. AI like Shaka or Catherine tend to war frequently and intelligently, taking capitulation the second they can take it, which can make them monsters in short order unless vassals are turned off (which imo completely cripples the already hobbled AI's ability to even approach a military victory).

There are other AI that have critical personality flaws that pretty much ensure they'll never win unless they have insane land and crappy competition. Montezuma will pump military and run the science slider way down. Isabella will do her religious zealot thing. Stalin and Mao will be stupid and run the espionage slider high at the expense of tech slider, Tokugawa doesn't trade, ect. Don't get me wrong, these AI can still potentially kill you, but they are not a direct threat to your ultimate victory.

As for a good noob leader, Hannibal can hardly be beat. CHA/FIN is a diverse yet strong combination and his UU is nothing special so you can't use it as a crutch like you can Quechas, Immortals, or most infamously, praets.

And yes taking cities gives you lots of money but you're spending all your time building units and not building improvements.
:whipped: ;)

Top Bottom