Where are my Relics?

Torvald

Prince
I am currently playing as Russia, and am trying to win a cultural victory by focusing on religion and collecting Relics by having my Apostles martyr themselves.

However, even though I have the Mont St. Michel wonder, when I went to war with Spain and let their military units kill some of my Apostles, my Apostles simply died and did not produce any religious Relics at all.

What's up with that? Do my Apostles need to be killed via religious combat instead of being killed by military units?

I do have numerous mods installed, including Religion Expanded and Tomatekhs Historical Religions. Could one of these two religious mods be keeping my Apostles from turning into Relics when they die?

I'm not familiar with those mods but the only way to get relics in the regular game is to let them be killed in theological combat. It would otherwise be too easy to gain a whole bunch of relics otherwise by constantly warring, even if that is more historically correct.

I'm not familiar with those mods but the only way to get relics in the regular game is to let them be killed in theological combat. It would otherwise be too easy to gain a whole bunch of relics otherwise by constantly warring, even if that is more historically correct.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will now try to get them killed in theological combat instead of being killed by army units. Wish me luck!

P.S. Yes, I do already have plenty of places to store potential relics.

I know its just me (because I'm weird that way) but it just seems so wrong to intentionally send Apostles out specifically to be killed just to gain relics. It is also the most unreal game mechanic of Civ6. Was that ever a 'thing' in history? Were there some leaders in history who sent martyrs out to die because they knew their death would magically create some relic that would mean a boost to tourism for all time to come?

I know its just me (because I'm weird that way) but it just seems so wrong to intentionally send Apostles out specifically to be killed just to gain relics. It is also the most unreal game mechanic of Civ6. Was that ever a 'thing' in history? Were there some leaders in history who sent martyrs out to die because they knew their death would magically create some relic that would mean a boost to tourism for all time to come?

Can't think of the case where a leader would send them to death (except some marginal sects). I'm not a great expert in religion, but I think martyrdom in general is mostly a Christian thing, and in this case the very first Christian martyr has kind of set the standard that dying for your faith is a worthy deed, so those who followed didn't really need a leader to send them. So I think the Civ 6 approach is a decent abstraction of the phenomenon in the game context. Just I'd maybe not make it a promotion, but something of a random factor - sometimes when a religious unit dies in a religious combat, it may be proclaimed a martyr with some consequences (maybe sometimes not a relic, but a religious text or work of art could be produced). This actually could also work for the winning side as well. Just this time a winner is proclaimed a Saint (or something similar).

Well, and you don't necessarily need to view relics as being physically produced by a martyr's death. I'd think of them as created later to commemorate the martyr, e.g. someone paints an icon which depicts martyr's death, or his glorious lifetime deeds.

Well, and you don't necessarily need to view relics as being physically produced by a martyr's death. I'd think of them as created later to commemorate the martyr, e.g. someone paints an icon which depicts martyr's death, or his glorious lifetime deeds.

My comments were mostly tongue-in-cheek, and I do understand the abstract of it. However, such relics are a true rarity and could not be planned for in such an exploitive and gamey fashion as described by the OP.

In the end, I suppose I was being a tad....snide.

My comments were mostly tongue-in-cheek, and I do understand the abstract of it. However, such relics are a true rarity and could not be planned for in such an exploitive and gamey fashion as described by the OP.

In the end, I suppose I was being a tad....snide.

So I kind of agreed with you by suggesting that it should be made more random. Well, let's not hijack the thread.

Top Bottom