Where to begin: Compatibility Issues (Windows 10)

McMickeroo1

Chieftain
OK so basically I installed Civ IV, then BTS, and then immediately installed the 3.19 patch.

There was absolutely nothing on my computer. No shortcuts. No programme. No folder for the games in programme files or anywhere else. No evidence at all that I'd installed the game. I clicked on uninstall a programme and all I could see was the civ iv programme installed, but it didn't have the Civ IV icon; it had the icon programmes have when there's nothing to load them on.

Now at this point I fiddled around a lot and everything is pretty confused if I'm honest. I was able to uninstall Civ IV eventually, and then reinstall it, but there was little progress. I tried adding a patch specifically for Civ IV 1.74 I believe. The game does now appear and has a folder in programme files. However when I try to load it it says to turn on administrator privileges or something and then if I run it as administrator the programme just doesn't load up full stop.

At this point it seems like I haven't uninstalled BTS and yet there is also no evidence that I've installed it.

I may trying plugging in that disk again and report back. Until then could somebody please offer any comments?

I'm in the same situation, trying to install Civ 4 (complete edition) via DVD on Windows 10.

Here's what I tried, which worked for me.
  • Open DVD
  • Right-click on the Setup.exe file, select Windows XP compatibility and admin execution
  • Launch Setup and wait for installation to proceed
  • During installation, I checked where the files shoud be copied (by default: C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete). Everything seems to go well so far.
  • Open local files and apply compatibilty and admin execution on Civ4BeyondSword.exe, as well as on the Icon
  • Download and apply BTS 3.19 patch manually (.exe)
I hope it helps.

My issue is that I can't uninstall so I can reinstall. It doesn't show up in control panel (add/remove programs), it's not in any folder, and even revo uninstaller doesn't see it. But when I try to install it, no go. I've tried every suggestion I could find but nothing works.

Top Bottom