[BTS] Where to go from this boxed in position

pokeii

Chieftain
This is a monarch game on pangaea. With the corn to the left dry, I guessed that to the right it is a peninsula.

I stole a Babylonian worker on the rice tile in the first image.

I think I need to beat the Babylonian first to get out. I have some questions.

(a) (edited) I have done mining, bronze working and wheel in the second image. What tech do I choose next? Gamble on horses? Does knowing that Babylon is on a hill change the choice? In the game I went pottery, thinking granaries would help with the extra food and slavery and I can build cottages to use my worker turns
(b) Should I sign ceasefire once possible? If so, once Zara (just south to Hammurabi) gets pleased to him should I still declare again to steal another Babylonian worker?

Moderator Action: Moved to Strategy & Tips forum for better assistance. Welcome to CFC and cheers :D - lymond

Attachments

• q.png
    q.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 131
  • q2.png
    q2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
There is land to the east. Even with what you scouted there are 4 decent-good cities to settle. You can kill Hammurabi later with catapults.

Did you start with a worker? 3000bc and no settler in production seems weird.

So 15 turn worker takes you to 3400bc. Improve 2x corn. Improve gem. You stole a woker too. Where is the 2nd worker or settler and why no size 3 come 2680bc? Work both corns before the gems.

Is your warrior not exploring? Barbs won't enter borders before 2000bc. Probably 1500bc or later on Monarch level.

Yes I would take peace.

Last edited:
Did you start with a worker? 3000bc and no settler in production seems weird.

So 15 turn worker takes you to 3400bc. Improve 2x corn. Improve gem. You stole a woker too. Where is the 2nd worker or settler and why no size 3 come 2680bc? Work both corns before the gems.

Is your warrior not exploring? Barbs won't enter borders before 2000bc. Probably 1500bc or later on Monarch level.

Yes I would take peace.
I started on the grassland hill right to the wet corn and spent two turns moving my settler, after seeing the gems by moving my warrior from wet corn to dry corn. I think 3 food resources is almost as good as 4 but the gems are worth the two turns.

The stolen worker is with the warrior.

So what did you do after you settled? That accounts for 2 turns. Hopefully worker by turn 17.

I think workboat chop is not a bad call as 4f3c Could slow build workboat after worker. Then grow to size 4 with gems. Then deicde to whip settler. with 40H at size 4.. With 2 workers a double chop is not bad for settler production. Even with 2 turn delay settler should be out by 2720bc or sooner?

Last edited:
Removed my previous post since I didn't take into account the settler move. Not sure it's worth moving 2T for gems in general, since with that kind of start you could have a 2nd city to grab gems soon after T30 anyway. This said, here the location of the gems was indeed awkward to catch with a 2nd city.

So what did you do after you settled? That accounts for 2 turns. Hopefully worker by turn 17/

I think workboat chop is not a bad call as 4f3c Could slow build workboat after worker. Then grow to size 4 with gems. Then deicde to whip settler. with 40H at size 4.. With 2 workers a double chop is not bad for settler production. Even with 2 turn delay settler should be out by 2720bc or sooner?
On turn 31 my first warrior was finished and then I whipped barracks. I guess I should have whipped a settler?

On turn 31 my first warrior was finished and then I whipped barracks. I guess I should have whipped a settler?
Yes the barracks is not useful immediately, settlers and workers are best whipped or chopped as they halt growth, and also whipping two population is better than 1 when you can, because you get more out of it for the same anger penalty.

Tough call as you lose a 2f3c lake which would be 3f3c with LH. If you are whipping out settlers how much would you use the gems early on? Not great

Yes as Antimony suggests grow to size 4 with 40 hammers invested and whip. Think 2640bc settler was possible here with your 2 turn move. Extra science on monarch level is not that important. Your tech rate on Monarch is cheaper than Emp/immortal levels. Dutch financial anyway.

Your 2 turn move isn't going to kill the game as AI don't start with worker so much slower to expand.

As Civac said there's land to the east. Expand peacefully to the east and think about war later. If you have horses you can HA rush, otherwise cats. Babylon can wait.If you can expand in one direction you are not boxed in.

Last edited:
Are you still playing the game?

In terms of warfare ideally you want 3-4 cities first then start chopping barracks. Horse archers are great if you have horse. I like the fact you wanted to whip.Of course lot more to whipping mechanic when you think of overflows to next build. Generally early on you want to whip the settlers when you get 40/100 hammers. Deciding between whipping and slow building a settler is another matter. If you have lots of corn and high excess food whipping might be better. It's not always best to beeline Bronze working on maps.

Sorry but I lost a lot of motivation after seeing I should have built settler before barracks but I should go back

Sorry but I lost a lot of motivation after seeing I should have built settler before barracks but I should go back
It's a great game don't let one barrack whip stop you from playing. Pre 2000bc main focus is usually worker/settlers and units to fogbust and keep cities safe.

Top Bottom