Where would you settle?

azum4roll

Lost the game
Classic question, VP version. I've got a difficult starting position, and would like everyone's opinion of the best capital position.

Map info: standard speed, standard size Communitu_79a. Settler hasn't moved.

upload_2021-2-16_0-23-20.png

Yeah that is a really sucky start.

I think you have to settle next to the olives because otherwise you will be working a terrible title for your very first one. At which point you might as well move due west onto the gems and settle there. It is still bad but everything else seems far worse.

I would move my settler to the olives tile, then on the next turn I'd move my warrior to the coast to see what the ocean is like there (perhaps there's the Rock of Gibraltar given the mountain's next to the sea) and I'd move the scout to the northeast to see what the land is like near that river. Then I'd decide between settling on the snowy hill next to the coast and moving my settler to the forest north of the olives, marching my settler to settle next to the river in the north.

Settling on the plains river next to the olives maximizes your starting food, so that's what I would do.

I'd settle on the plains river next to the olives. This doesn't cost a turn and brings the third gems into the third ring. There's a good chance this isn't soooo bad once you unlock animal husbandry. Considering you are Ottoman it would be nice to get your capital on the coast to have a shot at Colossus, but I don't think that is worth waiting until turn 3 to found.

I forget, can you settle on snow? if yes, I'd settle the coastal snow hill 1w of olives and hope for fish tiles, even if no fish I'd say its likely to be the best option for long term.
A coastal capital city is very handy on communitu maps and provides more trade route options for you as ottoman.
Every choice is going to be starved and I feel this is maybe the least bad one.

Honestly I would be inclined to settle on the river to the north and hope for better land up there. I tend to wait longer than most before I settle though.

If it was me i would probably move the the hill 1 tile to the north west as it the best defence position, gives you the olives tile straight away i assume city will expand to the grassland river first so you can work that as you second tile if focusing on growth. You only have 1 wasted sea tile in the workable city area and as you won't actually be coastal sea tiles are just pointless as you can't get the building to make them worth working. In the longer term you will have access to the farm tiles to the north by that river and hopefully some sheep as deer as you discover them.

It was actually quite bad at start since the city tile only gave 2f1p. I had to rely on the gold from Gems to buy the fish tiles to actually grow the city.

I think in these situations a lot of the decision is due to how much variance you want. Riverplains next to Olives would be a bad but not completely awful start; if you think that is good enough for you to win I think it is a good idea. Snow tile hoping for fish is a monster terrible start if there are zero fish, and of course searching around with your settler is even harder than that. But if you are playing at a difficulty where you lose a lot, maybe plainsriver next to olives is insufficient to win and you have to gamble.

I think in these situations a lot of the decision is due to how much variance you want. Riverplains next to Olives would be a bad but not completely awful start; if you think that is good enough for you to win I think it is a good idea. Snow tile hoping for fish is a monster terrible start if there are zero fish, and of course searching around with your settler is even harder than that. But if you are playing at a difficulty where you lose a lot, maybe plainsriver next to olives is insufficient to win and you have to gamble.

This is an interesting way to evaluate it. Not just sheer value but also game strategy.

For other civs yes but ottomans have a lot of food to gain from trade routes, there is also quite the benfit of a coastal capital on communitu maps.
As a secondary option or if this was pangea I would have taken the riverside and hoped for deers but weirdly enough there wasnt any trapping resources around.
But the starting area is over all remarkably starved on food tiles.

For other civs yes but ottomans have a lot of food to gain from trade routes, there is also quite the benfit of a coastal capital on communitu maps.

I feel like those first few turns of 3f1h+2f1h1g from the initial tiles can roll over into being a huge deal. Quick Pottery for a fish can replicate that but by the time you're setting up trade routes there has been quite a lot of compound interest already. I agree with the point about the port though, looking at it that is one of the most well defended capital ports you could possibly have, all those hill tiles around to shoot into the sea and only one point of access and the city on the hill as well.

Top Bottom