Which map type(s) is the AI most suited for

Malachi256

Prince
Has anyone really played a good number of games on a wide range of map types, and has formed a decent opinion on this?

I tend to dislike archipelago because I feel the AI doesn't handle it well, and like continents / pangaea for the opposite reason.

I haven't really played around with all the other map types at all. It occurs to me that the AI might do even better in maps that just have no water at all.

Thoughts?

I haven't played Gods and Kings enough to form an opinion on their ability to fight over seas now, but I would agree in the original this was true. However with the changes in combat I have a feeling the AI will be better in the water.

The AI tended to be better at pangea before, due to the close proximity and lack of water.

Im playing on huge archepeligo map. Its still early, but the ai may still have trouble. I have a bunch of ships that appear to be log jamed.

My 1st 3 games were archipelago, and I won them all with very little trouble. 1st on prince, 2nd two on king (I usually struggle a bit on king).

They were fielding moderate sized navies, and occasionally attacking with some effectiveness (ganging up on single targets with melee ships), but they also strangely left some units out of the big initial engagements (I'd find them later, half a dozen tiles away, guarding another city), and there also seems to be a serious problem with ranged units in general (basically lots of ranged units, both land and sea, seem to have an issue where they aren't firing when they darn well should be - another poster in another thread commented that if a ranged unit moves, it doesn't fire in that same turn).

What I do is I run pangea, but I stack more AI civs than the map is designed for (like 10 on a tiny map, 15 on a small, etc.). I find the lack of space tends to make them aggressive with eachother and leads to much larger armies. They tend to handle pretty well (Although there is the periodic AI who sticks to one city the whole game). The AI tends to be more hostile towards eachother than just you (Bc they are so likely to denounce compared to a human, an AI denouncing another AI will usually aggrovate 6 or 7 AI friends and start a denounciation frenzy).

Top Bottom