which of the 8 Civ specific characteristics do you guys like most?

Impossible. Can you attach some .sav files (auto-saves, if still existing) for us to look at?

looking through my manual saves, i could be wrong. i only have 2 golden age files from 1695 AD and 1730 AD, clearly from 1 GA period. oh well.

i just finished my mayan (agri/indust) game on monarch difficulty. by far my easiest win on monarch. agri/indust is very powerful combination; i was way ahead in the tech race. i went as far as getting modern armor and none of the AI civs even had infantryman yet.

im thinking ramping up the difficulty a notch to emperor; maybe playing the sumerians (agri/scienticfic).

Letting towns exceed say size 3 is what is meant to happen after leaving despotism.

i believe i understand what you mean, but i beg to differ to state this as a general rule of thumb. most likely one or a few core cities that drove my growth, production and science until this point will be considerably above size 3, rather 5 and 6 and maybe even above. one has to plan ahead for anarchy for these towns though, so much is true.

especially i like a few towns to hit 7 very soon after Republic is installed, for unit support, that could take quite a while if all i had then was only size 2 and 3 towns.

t_x
And of course it also depends on the difficulty level and on the number of lux resources already connected at that time! For example on Warlord and with 3 lux resources, there is no problem going into anarchy with size 8 or 9 cities...! (if you hire a clown temporarily).

Well, the idea is to not need any experts, so growth does not slow down during anarchy. It is true that available and actually connected luxuries matter and difficulty level, too. But regarding the later it is a bit ambiguous. While the difficulty settings below emperor let more than just the first citizen start content AI will also expand slower, thus there will be more territory that could be grapped by expanding the population via settlers. Once this is done building workers becomes relevant, as that way the high free unit support prior to entering republic can be utilized. The details are rather tricky. Delaying republic would be wrong.

Agricultural is definitely the strongest of the 8 traits, for every situation and for every desired victoy condition.

No. You refute this when talking about space race victories. Also, there exist very few 20k games in the HoF which use an agricultural tribe, and no, that's not because of the UU.

No. You refute this when talking about space race victories.

How does that come? Reaching and maintaining 4 turns per tech seems paramount and agri helps a lot with that.

Also, there exist very few 20k games in the HoF which use an agricultural tribe, and no, that's not because of the UU.

OK, there i do see sense. If you go OCC Agri becomes one of the lesser traits.

How does that come? Reaching and maintaining 4 turns per tech seems paramount and agri helps a lot with that.
I think I know what Spoonwood has in mind: zero turns per tech is even stronger than 4 turns per tech... ;)
So the lots of free techs you can pop from huts as an expansionist tribe and the 3 free techs you get as a scientific tribe may in certain situations be stronger than the agricultural trait. Therefore my "every situation and every desired victory condition" was indeed a bit exaggerated...

Agricultural is the best trait in most cases. For the rest, it depends on difficulty and map type/size, and what win condition your going for.

I like to play Domination victory, I dont like cultural/space/diplomacy victories. Just won my first game on Sid level difficulty on a huge map with 70% water archipelago(basically continents).

Finding the best civ to win a game on Sid, was a long route of experimenting. To be honest I only ever felt I had a shot with agricultural trait. For sid-level games you will need a good start anyway, so having fresh water isn't even a question. With agricultural you can pop 10+ cities, which is pretty impossible if you dont have the trait, because the AI starts with 4 settlers and will outsettle you so hard. And the advantage doesn't stop there. Having +1 food in every city is really powerful later in the game too. In almost every game, you will end up with some coastal cities that have mountain/hills/tundra around them. Having that +1 food basically gives you a free additional hill or tundra being worked on, which does add up to a lot. Plus faster growth for all your cities throughout the game.

To me, Maya(Agri/ind), Celts(Agri/rel) and Iroquois(Agri/com) seemed the best way to go for a sid-level win with 70% water. I think the Iroquois stand out, because you start with alphabet, and the UU is probably the best. The Maya UU will probably not help you in that all-important early war. At Sid level I might even call it useless in some games. The Celts are good, but the Iroquois UU is a little better and they start with Alphabet.

I do like the Religious trade a lot, and disagree with some of the other posts on it. Going republic>democracy>communism as a game plan isn't bad at all. Democracy will give you more productive cities and more gp to keep up in research. But more importantly, you can build a larger army untill you start warring and want to switch to communism. I have noticed in Sid games that staying Republic simply doesnt allow you to maintain enough military units. Late game Communist empires simply outproduce anything. You can have 3 cores, and your allround corruption in important cities will be only 10%. Newly conquered cities will become usefull quickly. You can quickly build libraries/cathedrals, and get that culture going. Building some quick temples in Sid level will help you prevent some cultural conversions, because keeping up in culture can be a problem beside all the other issues you face against the cheating AI.

TLDR; Agriculture is best all-round trait, and Iroquois is best all-round civ at high difficulties

Top Bottom