Which version should I play if I want to have fun?

I dont think that the level of how forgiving it is was my problem, but rather that the system took choices from me. No system should take choices from the player imo. I felt like i didnt have much say in what my cities built, since I had to keep those arbitrary numbers in check pretty much every time i was able to decide on a new building.

Of course making it more forgiving probably also reduces that issue. I guess what im trying to say is that challenge isnt my issue. Im interested in the mod precisely because its supposed to offer a challenge. But it should be fun challenge of course.

Going to try out the new version now I think.

I dont think that the level of how forgiving it is was my problem, but rather that the system took choices from me. No system should take choices from the player imo. I felt like i didnt have much say in what my cities built, since I had to keep those arbitrary numbers in check pretty much every time i was able to decide on a new building.

Of course making it more forgiving probably also reduces that issue. I guess what im trying to say is that challenge isnt my issue. Im interested in the mod precisely because its supposed to offer a challenge. But it should be fun challenge of course.

Going to try out the new version now I think.
Keep in mind that if you manage to obtain happiness by other means (trading for luxuries, city state friends, trade routes towards more advanced civs, expending great admirals, expending great musicians in concerts, sfsf) you can be more careless about the happiness in your cities.
If you want a specialized city, for example, one that just build high level units, it will cost you some unhappiness. But you don't need to make every single city in your empire happy. The more you have spare happiness, the more you can ignore happiness in some of your cities for such dedicated tasks.

Keep in mind that if you manage to obtain happiness by other means (trading for luxuries, city state friends, trade routes towards more advanced civs, expending great admirals, expending great musicians in concerts, sfsf) you can be more careless about the happiness in your cities.
If you want a specialized city, for example, one that just build high level units, it will cost you some unhappiness. But you don't need to make every single city in your empire happy. The more you have spare happiness, the more you can ignore happiness in some of your cities for such dedicated tasks.

If I can get away with specializing some cities, and trying to keep happiness in check in others (along with all of the other happiness enhancing mechanics) then that would be fine (and maybe good even since being able to specialize everywhere is also dumb). Keep in mind my happiness experience was on the version that people seem to agree was crap in that regard.

I have started a game on the 1-18 version (which i hope is the newest), and im having a lot of fun for now. Im still very early into the game though

If I can get away with specializing some cities, and trying to keep happiness in check in others (along with all of the other happiness enhancing mechanics) then that would be fine (and maybe good even since being able to specialize everywhere is also dumb). Keep in mind my happiness experience was on the version that people seem to agree was crap in that regard.

I have started a game on the 1-18 version (which i hope is the newest), and im having a lot of fun for now. Im still very early into the game though
I would avoid going full domination, or progress with 10+ cities, to start. Not that it can't be done (just finished an 18 city Inca progress with cultural victory), but if you're still new, you'll be more prone to frustration from happiness swings with a larger empire. Did you turn events off (as I suggested in a previous post)?

I would avoid going full domination, or progress with 10+ cities, to start. Not that it can't be done (just finished an 18 city Inca progress with cultural victory), but if you're still new, you'll be more prone to frustration from happiness swings with a larger empire. Did you turn events off (as I suggested in a previous post)?

Yes. I was already turning them off because they were kinda meh last time i played

I'm enjoying to mod so far but the tactical AI is still utterly ******ed. Is this an issue with the january version? It will move single units with no health into slaughter range of a city for no reason (as an example). Just really dumb stuff, even for an ai.

edit: strategic/diplomatic AI seems on point

Last edited:
I'm enjoying to mod so far but the tactical AI is still utterly ********. Is this an issue with the january version? It will move single units with no health into slaughter range of a city for no reason (as an example). Just really dumb stuff, even for an ai.

edit: strategic/diplomatic AI seems on point
This depends on difficulty level. Lower levels make more mistakes.

This depends on difficulty level. Lower levels make more mistakes.

Is this actually true? I'm playing on prince for now, and it seems like one would make the AI play to the best of its abilities before giving it bonuses, no? Afaik prince does give the AI bonuses.

I'm actually fairly impressed by the diplomatic AI. Theodoras smug face has started to irk me at this point xD

One thing that I'm noticing in my current game is that the AI seems to have stopped expanding, despite there still being plenty of room in some places. Could this be due to them not wanting to anger me? (Since the game has a concept of aggressive expansion). Or do some AI's just play tall?

Last edited:
Is this actually true?
Yes. One great thing about the design of VP AI is that it intentionally makes mistakes on lower levels. More precisely, it orders the best strategies into A, B and C best options. Deity always chooses option A, Emperor makes a random choice between A and B, and prince makes a random choice between A, B and C. This way Prince players don't have to face the real frightening AI tactics. Mwa ha ha.
One thing that I'm noticing in my current game is that the AI seems to have stopped expanding, despite there still being plenty of room in some places.
Probably AI doesn't want to overexpand. It is costly. Better to wait until pioneers.

"a (more or less) finished game, without having to worry about bugs, unbalanced ****, broken functionality"

What is posted as an imbalance may or may not show up at all depending on how you play what AI's and what setup you use.
An example is starting with a resource that give 1culture unimproved is considered unbalanced by a lot of experienced players but the regular joes will probably not notice or understand why.
While Runestones should be pretty blatant that they were a huge imbalance.

It can look like a lot of broken stuff on the surface, however when you understand more and more mechanics, not only do you begin to see what horrible mess vanilla is/was but also how much there is to tweak and fix.
The unbalanced stuff are (from how I understand it) taken care of bit by bit on a volunteer level.
The unbalanced stuff are defined from what ppl on this forum consider unbalanced and from Gazebos tests.

That new versions get out means that someone still cares, think of that as something good.

Edit: and to your question, try the latest version

Reactions: 4CV
Yes. One great thing about the design of VP AI is that it intentionally makes mistakes on lower levels. More precisely, it orders the best strategies into A, B and C best options. Deity always chooses option A, Emperor makes a random choice between A and B, and prince makes a random choice between A, B and C. This way Prince players don't have to face the real frightening AI tactics. Mwa ha ha.

Probably AI doesn't want to overexpand. It is costly. Better to wait until pioneers.

Pioneers arent going to help it when i own the map :p
I am on prince though, so im *assuming* that on higher levels i wont be able to expand so easily either

I attached an image of a really dumb move (though ive seen even worse). The Swedish swordsman moved there from the pillaged farm. I doubt this is a brilliant trap :p
Also: The AI doesn't seem to focus fire/attack. Often it has the ability to kill a unit, but instead just weakens a few. In the screenshot it probably could have killed my heavy skirmisher (not guaranteed this time. But in other cases they definitely could get more out of their turns)

I'm a programmer myself and im aware of how difficult this is. But these are some really bizarre moves so im pointing them out

edit: probably should have looked for a thread that is meant for posting this stuff.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
AI won't kill the heavy skirmisher if they value their own unit more and they know that unit won't survive at the heavy skirmisher's spot.

Moving the swordsman would be a smart move if your southeastern pikeman wasn't there... The AI could spot him so I don't know why they did that.

I attached an image of a really dumb move (though ive seen even worse). The Swedish swordsman moved there from the pillaged farm. I doubt this is a brilliant trap :p
Also: The AI doesn't seem to focus fire/attack. Often it has the ability to kill a unit, but instead just weakens a few. In the screenshot it probably could have killed my heavy skirmisher (not guaranteed this time. But in other cases they definitely could get more out of their turns)

I'm a programmer myself and im aware of how difficult this is. But these are some really bizarre moves so im pointing them out

edit: probably should have looked for a thread that is meant for posting this stuff.

What I'm about to say has all been said before, but tl;dr:

-the AI doesn't see the map like you and I
- the tactical AI is the most transparent display of AI behavior in the game
- the AI makes 100x more tactical AI decisions every turn than any other type of decision, so the % chance of a non-optimal play is much higher
- the AI does not like to stick its nose into FOW

G

Top Bottom