Who thinks culture victory is interesting?

Do you think the Culture victory will be fun ?

• Yes

Votes: 115 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Not enough info

Votes: 41 25.8%

• Total voters
I like the way they added tourism and such because of how it adds realism to the game and you have to change a bit of your strategy to cope with it but i still think the new culture victory will be lame because its only you trying to expand your influence around the map. (no offense ed beach and Dave Shack)

Any thoughts ?

No idea, need to play it.

Currently it's not too fun other than just trying to beat my old turn records for shortest game without a conquest victory

The downside is that it is still a number watching game.

The upside is that you are actually competing directly with the other civs.

I liked the interaction part... And I've always loved city flipping on Civ 3...
I just hope that it doesn't make games with a small number of cities impossible to be played...
I liked that I had the option to go tall and I'm not a fan of REX, so Culture is the kind of victory I've had the most (including my one and only win on Immortal)...

It definitely sounds like it'll be a lot more fun, but we'll have to wait and see.

Still seems like cultural victory will be a "keep clicking next turn" type of game...

But let's play it before we judge :)

I like the way they added tourism and such but i still think the new culture victory will be lame. (no offense ed beach and Dave Shack)

Any thoughts ?

Can't you at least explain why you think it'll be lame, rather than just pooping out a single line? I'm curious what you like about tourism given that it is mostly relevant due to the new cultural victory. Did you like the old cultural victory?

It seems like it will be, at the very least, less boring and less passive than the current cultural victory, and will require players to think about more facets of the game. Everything else, like the great work flavor, is just icing on the cake.

I think it might be somewhat like domination seeing that I can just go capture everyone great works and secure all the archaeological dig sights.

No idea, need to play it

Quoted for Truth

I found the old cultural victory to be the most challenging. It required careful precision. In that sense, it was interesting. However, it was also extremely passive. You had to sit and wait for the things to work the way they were supposed to (or not). And, since you had to be small, there were fewer things to do even when you had things to do.

Much of that seems changed. It doesn't involve marching armies of conquest all the time, but you can even do that (to take enemy great works). You can also move Archaeologists into other territory. You can move Great Musicians as well to push a territory over the edge. Honestly, I think space race will be the most passive now with everything else improved (and the International Space Station might very well improve that).

Voted NOT ENOUGH INFO

At the very least it sounds like it will be like the other victories in that you are not forced into a very specific way of playing and there will be more freedom in tall vs. wide, peaceful vs. aggressive, etc.

I think it sounds really exciting so far. I'm planning to play my first game as 'new' France against all the other new Civs for this precise reason.

voted Not enough info.

actually, Culture victory one of my favourite victory types. but as I said we need more infos about new cultural victory.

In my current game, I’m playing France and going for a Cultural Victory. Unfortunately, I placed my 4 cities only to later discover that I have no Horses, Iron, or Oil in my territory. I see a couple spots on the map that are good for more cities and would give me access to those missing resources (and stymie the other Civs' expansion). But, that would screw up the 4-city Cultural Victory mechanic I have going. I can’t help but find myself looking forward to the changes that BNW will bring (or at least the changes that we here at Civ Fanatics have deduced). From what little we know about the new way Cultural Victories will might work in BNW, it seems like my current predicament wouldn’t be an issue.

The biggest change looks to be that a bigger empire helps for cultural victory now.

Bigger is now better for every victory type?

The biggest change looks to be that a bigger empire helps for cultural victory now.

Bigger is now better for every victory type?

Not really, no. Tall strategies became roughly even with wide strategies with Gods and Kings, and are generally more viable (since Tradition is "safer" and is less likely to get screwed by an expansionist neighbor). Both strategies are basically viable for any strategy, making the choice more civ and map dependent, which is great.

Not really, no. Tall strategies became roughly even with wide strategies with Gods and Kings, and are generally more viable (since Tradition is "safer" and is less likely to get screwed by an expansionist neighbor). Both strategies are basically viable for any strategy, making the choice more civ and map dependent, which is great.

Are you implying that G&K provided a credible “wide Cultural Victory” strategy? Do you think the culture yields from the Religious Beliefs are significant enough to justify building more cities and raising the next social policy threshold? I’m not trying to be argumentative; I’m legitimately asking. Maybe I’ll have to experiment with this in my next game (although it looks like I’d have to play France again).

Interesting? It's the entire reason BNW has my attention. Not even world congress is doing the same thing for my hype.

"Will it be fun?" Who knows?

Are you implying that G&K provided a credible “wide Cultural Victory” strategy? Do you think the culture yields from the Religious Beliefs are significant enough to justify building more cities and raising the next social policy threshold? I’m not trying to be argumentative; I’m legitimately asking. Maybe I’ll have to experiment with this in my next game (although it looks like I’d have to play France again).

You can certainly afford to go wider with France in Gods and Kings if you do it early enough and can manage the happiness. The penalty in social policies costs per city is not so severe as to prevent it. I usually aim for seven or so early cities if I am going for a cultural victory with France on the higher difficulty levels. Just don't leave it too late - the penalty really does kick in when you have a big lag between a city's culture output and the standard for the era.

That's not what I was saying, no. Although I have seen a France game that managed a wide, sub-300 culture victory it is significantly harder than a more conventional culture game. My point is that Tradition is even or better than Liberty for any of the other victory conditions as of Gods and Kings, so there's no reason for Tradition to be the sole choice for culture victories. I like that, it gives you a lot more options for building your empire.

Top Bottom