Who to take out first?

sealman

Hater of Babylonians
Just started a new game: large map, arch. The land grab phase is about over and I find myself on a large continent (too big to be considered an island) with 3 other civs... Zulus, Persians and Germans. I decided to play the Iroquois for a change. I was wondering who I should be thinking to take out first...

My border with the Zulus is a one tile isthmus, mountain, which is controlled by me, units fortifed there plus a small city outpost behind. The Germans, Persians and I share the common border of a large desert. I have set the desert values as zeros across the board so there is no smart reason to build cities in desert tiles. I have one city on the Persian/German side of the desert holding the only horse Icon that is available to me. Persian citys all around (probably lose the city to culture sometime).

The Germans and I are both contesting a fairly good size jungle island to the west which is closer to my empire then his.

My question: when I look to expand, who should I expand against?

The Zulus who are blocked off to the south;
The Germans for control of the jungle island;
Or the Persians north of the desert?

Wonders note: Sparta has the Pyramids and is two cities away from my border town. Berlin has the Oracle and will probably beat me to the Great Library.

__
my fault... it is the Greeks not Persians who are on the other side of the desert.

except for wonders, I would say the germans would be best. taking the pyarmids would be a nice boost, but you would have to deal with hoplites. I'd recommend you leave the zulu alone for now, if they go to war with you, you can defend pretty easily.

Go for the Germans. The sooner you take them out the better, as do you want them around when Panzer's come onto the scene? Didn't think so. *g*

Eeek, Germany AND the Zulus. I hope you are playing at chieftain or warlord level, otherwise you may have some probs. :lol

I believe I am at Regent, the third one. I am not too worried about the Zulu's. I do sort of have them bottled up and the only way through is via the sea and I have not yet seen the AI make a sucessful amphibious invasion this early in the game.

In past games when I was next to the Germans, I have always fought little skirmishes just to let them know that I would not be pushed around.

Not enough information.
The main question is who has common borders with each others. It is wrong decision to attack somebody alone. You should ally with ALL others to take off somebody. Else they can ally with each other against you! So you should attack somebody has common borders with others. I bet that Greece and German has common borders. So I believe you should attack Gemans together with Greek and Zulu. As far as I understand, Zulu need to pass you territory to war German. It is cool! It menas that AFTER you win German you can catch up most of Zulu forces in your terrytory and kill'em all. So Zulu should be next. It is because Zulu is militant civ and it may attack sometime.

Greeks and Germans share a long border in the north.
Zulus and I share a one tile border to the south, controlled and heavily defended my me.
Germans and I share a border on the island to the west
Germans, Greeks and I share a border around the desert.

Blak Waltz: I am not too afraid of the German Panzer's at this point in time, by the time armor arrives, one of us will control the jungle island.

It comes down to:

1) take the Germans off the jungle island and ally with Grece and let them take out the Germans on the main island or

2) Ally with Germany and hit the Greeks dividing the spoils and fighting over the jungle island later.

I do think that Shaka will attack me as soon as he finishes consolidating his souther lands.

I wonder where everone else is?

You have to attack German, but allied with Greek AND Zulu. Shaka won't attack you if you give him passage and ally with him against German. Try to avoid war on two fronts by all mean. It doesn't matter how good you are defended on border with Zulu. War on two fronts is worst than simple two big forces need to keep. It is about econimics and trade. If you will be in a war with German AND Zulu they will ally against you. It is very dangerous. If you will ally with Zulu and give them right of passage, they will floud your territory by their units. And when the war with Germany is over you can destroy their forces in your territory in one turn to take great advantage in the future war with Zulu. Greek is NOT aggressive usually. German and zulu are.

Finally got back to playing last night and lo and behold - germany attacks Greece. Greece agrees to give me some gpt to join them but I can not entice Zulu to join in... As I began to move troops to the front, Zulu declares war on me. After a bloody fight in my fortified mountain pass, I flood Zululand with Mounted Housemen and crush him while Greece and England (don't know where they came from) deal with Germany.

Top Bottom