Who were the Slavs?

Gladi said:
:wallbash:

Can I claim Záhorák origin:blush:? Well seing as the Slovak half of my family lives in Central Slovakia, probably not.

Thankfully none of them can read english :whew:

I`m taking it as a typo;)

fing0lfin said:
Well i don't think this is quite true. For example the Bulgarian(south slavic) and the Russian (east slavic) are close. I can understand Russian(not perfect of course), and i have never learned it.

Well than propably it`s true only for western Slavs. I, for example, also never learned other slavic language (except learning russian for 3 months) and have no problem watching movies or talk in czech (of course) or polish. But when watching russian or croatian TV it`s the same like watching italian (I don`t speak italian;)) - sometimes understand a world, hardly a sentence. It`s all different accent, declesion, conjugation and of course worlds. On the other hand when I was in Croatia and spoke personaly with Croats, I could talk slovak and understand croat if spoken slowly and clearly. But sometimes it was easier just to speak english:lol:

Hard (and wide) subject to be consumed correctlly just in this - one topic.

Some posts in this thread are fairlly good some are NOT.

I'll try to give you some answers from my point of view based on how much I know about "Sloven" history and present.

p.s.
Tathlum my best friend good to see you again.:)

History of this branch of IndoEuropean race is not known enough and big parts still missing. Slavs or better saied Slovens themselfs are a bit "guilty" of that... could be due late discover of writting (documents) compared to some others (so left that to Romans - mostly,and some others, who saw them not just as the neighbours but as enemy as well), or maybe not.

There were several nation rooted from aincent Sloven race and those were Russian, Polish, Czechs, Serbs, Croats and Bulgarians. With the time they split, change, twist (even nowdays) and by present days we have more Slovakians, Slovenians, Bosnians, Macedonians, Belorussians and Ukrainians to name the most.

Look like something is wrong with my internet connection, just turned me off from forum ?!?

continue

Even those earlier branches of (supposably) once upon a time - one big tribe, differed one from each other. They were influenced or mixed by/with some other tribes. So we have bulgars that took even the name of the Asian tribe that Slavic people of southeastern Europe merged with, but they kept "Sloven" language.

Sloven - This acctually mean The one who speak (who can be understood) and could be from were the name of the tribe came. Slovo - word, written word - nowdays in Serbia). Opposite Sloven's people called, and still do, Germans - Nemci. Nem meaning mute, the One that can not speak or be understood.

Could be also from word Slav - Slaveni, Slavni that is still part of many names of the people from some of Slavonic nation, Miroslav, Visheslav or simply Slaw in Poland. It means Glorious One. Someone also mentioned Pravo Slavna Crkva (Ortodox church).

For safety reason of another breakdown lines I'll continue in small posts...

Russians were at the beggining hardly influented by scandinavian tribes, and mixed with them, latter with some they concorded or being concored by, generaly East and Central Asian tribes.

And was/is so with all other parts of this race.

As for Serbs.

Some even clame that we are not originaly Sloven tribe but were incororporated (Slovenized) in some ancient time, and that we are Iranian (the same worth for Croats as well), but is it truth or no, it's almost immposible to prove (unless, soon they invent "time machine" so that we can peek in to the past...).

Some opposite, clame that we are ultimat Slovens, the one that rooted all other (saying all Slovens were called Serbs, Sorabs, Srbi and latter on for above post reason named Slovens, Slavens). This theory is less common than previous one .

Lužnički Srbi are defenetlly part of my nation, part that left after most of nation moved toward south somewere in 5th century.

Interesting to add that Serbian language (together with Lithuanian -iirc) have most simularity with Sanscrit (oldest known indoeuropean language). I don't know why.

One more interesting thing about this nation. Serbs as Kieavan Russ counted time from the beginnig of the world that is more than 7000 years ago. Therefor we are now by that calendar somewere in 7600-somthing!

They did stop count that way after concored by Ottomans in XVcentury.
This is just as an example that Slavic race is very old one!!

Upon arrival around south Danube and Balkan penninsula, Serbs mixed by domestic population under East Roman Empire. Mostly Celts (or what left from them after centuries of Roman domination) but some other tribes also. So many Serbian words are same as Celtic old one (to name some Chlaan - Clan - Klan..), and so many toponims (mostly) still have the name that was given by Celts (to name some mountan and river Tara, than Baagrdan...).

My real name is really OOld Serbian one, with specific meaning. But it's same case in Romania for example (So we picked up but we also give to some). The same goes for Hungarian language that is full of all kind of Slavic words but Serbs have fair amount of Hungarian in there language, also German, Greeks and Turkish... and lately English.

Religion latter took serious influance on all Sloven's tribes and made them even more different if not by language than by the way of thinking, living (and is still in process as you can see by late "incidents" among sothern tribes).

The biggest Serbian city today is Belgrade (and capitol of mother state - found originally by mentioned Celts tribe SCORODISCS) but also metioned Chicago is in top three Serbian cities in the world - and still growing:D ).

I'll stop bore you now.
Just as final conclusion, to bad that we don't know for sure who were Slavs, Slovens, Slavens before starting to use that name... old Polish were guesing Saramatian, could be, but hardly!, still we should not moke to this idea cause it still may be true, noone knows much about them eather.

Regards to all you and please forgive my typos and some likely grammars errors.

And once more:D
Tathy CHEERS:beer:

Top Bottom