Why are some technologies sometimes not available for research ?

Skybuck

Prince
For example I research Trade + Republic and then Banking should become available, but many times I have seen it not available.

Also many times during the start, sometimes only a few technologies can be researched.

For example map making might be missing, or even alphabet and so forth.

Any idea why sometimes some research is missing to be researched ?

My guesses so far have been:

1. Either it's a bug.
or
2. It's intentional because another civilization is already researching it and to stimulate trade ?
or
3. It's locked out because of emporer level to make it more difficult ?
or
4. It's some kind of tier limitation at emporer level must first research all lower techs ? However I have seen higher techs available as well between older techs...

Strange...

It's a pattern intended to make the game a bit more unpredictable for the player, although it is actually predictable--every time you get to choose a tech to research, one (or some) of the possible paths aren't available, depending on what you've researched before. I don't remember how the formula goes, but it's been documented here before. Might not apply to chieftain level, but I don't remember that either. So, do a search.

I can vaguely remember reading something about it, possibly on this forum... but I can't find it... I tried searching for: research + pattern.

Any idea how to find it better ?

Much thanks, I will make quick work of this, testing it out and improving my play ! ;) =D Amazingly formula discovery how it's banned temporarely hehe.

I also think now I understand how many extra light bulbs are necessary per tech advance on emporer, which seems to be 20 light bulbs !

Well I just tried it from my analysis it seems to be more like 15 light bulbs for first invention and then 30 light bulbs for second invention, so there starting formula is slightly off or I miss interpreted it, but the x2 is at least close enough for me to work with ! ;) =D

On to the race to produce enough cities to keep up or buildings hehe ! =D

I got lucky this new game, no russians, rome close by and gold in the mountains, not using it yet, hopefully gonna be fun game ! ;) =D

(Well the game with gold went terrible lol, I had great library build but the americans still easily out tech-ed me and mongols cut me off, kinda funny, but it's interesting
to go directly for alphabet, writing, code of laws, literacy, republic and try and pay of the threat from civs as much as possible, but probably weak path but I want to try and keep up in tech with them, maybe this time I try city expension, ofcourse war path and stealing tech through war is maybe best, but I kinda want to keep civs alive for the fun of it ! ;) =D)

(Next game went a lot better and still in progress, what I should have done is immediately build city near fishes, these can give +3 gold in republic and or democrazy and can be multiplied with market place and bank later, incredibly usefull, I got lucky and had orleans near paris with 2 fishes on orleans lol, amazing, I went through technology so fast wow... maybe fastest ever)

Thanks again for finding that amazing thread, could not have done it without you ! =D

Last edited:
Top Bottom