Why are the textures lower res than in Civ 5?

Baleur

Prince
Even after tweaking the .ini, you still have to sit max zoomed in for a second or two for the full resolution terrain textures to load in. They do NOT load at any other zoom level (if they did, it'd chug like mad).

But then going back to Civ 5, i was astonished at how crisp and Sharp the textures are, more so than i remembered. They load in at max resolution even while zoomed out, without any framerate impact. When you zoom in, they are already Sharp and crisp, no need to wait.
Even forcing Anisotropic Filtering does nothing to improve it while it makes a huge difference in Civ5, (which is NOT an option ingame, which is ridiculous beyond belief considering it is a top down 3d strategy game in 2014).

This without ANY extra settings in the ,ini file (no higher terrain load value than 1, even better results than if setting it to 6 in Beyond Earth's ini file)
Why is this? Did they dump half their Graphics Engine polish? Its almost like the Total War games, where they worked for months and even over a whole year to finally polish the Shogun 2 (as Civ 5) Engine after 2 expansions, so it finally runs good and looks good.
Then they release Rome 2 (as Beyond Earth) and it has neither AA, doesnt run good, has worse lighting and worse LOD pop-in.

I just dont get this, its so sad to see a game go BACKWARDS in technology.
It should never be allowed to happen. Even if it was "just" equal to Civ5 in its current state, that would be fine. But not BACWARDS.
For anyone doubting me, go back to Civ 5 again and check. Take comparison screenshots of grasslands in BE and grasslands in Civ5, of Mountains in BE and Mountains in Civ5.

Huh, my experience is just the opposite. I just fired up a Civ 5 game and the way the textures pop in from low detail to high detail drives me nuts. Never noticed that in Civ:BE, it looks to me like they fixed it.

Top Bottom