Why are there no games in the "hall of fame"?

I wasn't refering to trying to do anything in the hof, just that when you play a game, why not do it in hof mod and then submit it? It doesn't hurt does it?

@ Barbs/huts/events they are all less influential than the RNG anyways...

I play the HoF. If you look closely (very closely) i'm even top in one catagory ;) I've not seen a huge number of gaps, but there are few i'm targeting!

I do agree that for certain maps and strategies you need to use mapfinder to get the best possible start, as much as i'd like to play from an equal start if you really want to win and gain top spot then a high commerce start is a no brainer. You it just to be competive.

Random events can be good, but are usually bad heavy hitting , esp when everying is counted is single turns. I don't mind them so much except the lose 2 building hurricane, that sucks.

What does annoy me as well is the lack of BUG mode, surely if it's Unadalterated Gameplay there should be an issue?

Hof mod does have several of the features of bug mod, bug them to add more :). Civalerts is there for example.

also, one of you said the HOF prevents reloading? LOL How the heck would it do that !?!?!?!?!?!?!

also, one of you said the HOF prevents reloading? LOL How the heck would it do that !?!?!?!?!?!?!

Every time the game is loaded it is noted in the session log, if there is loads of suspcious saves they'll investigate if you have reloaded or not... That is at least my guess, there might be other methods as well, though obviously they don't want to reveal exactly how they check things since then it might be easier to avoid it... HOF doesn't prevent reload, but it is not allowed to reload and replay any actions in a different way.

OK, maybe I'm a little slow, but where are you seeing the unfilled game spots? In nearly every catagory I look there are 10 games listed. :confused:

Well, for one when I try to reload a game running it the game crashes :rolleyes:. That's when I stopped using it for all games -----> sometimes I want to reload at key points to see what say going for a different VC would have looked like, or whether it was really a good idea to whip my cities to nothing at that point to hit hard ASAP.

There must be something in the mod that logs reloads. They absolutely do reject games for reloading/replaying of turns. However, the methodology of detecting it isn't apparent. For example, loading from the last point you've played is perfectly legit, but if you look at the game replay, the session x starts is completely the same as if you'd reloaded from an autosave that same year. Therefore, there must be something hidden in the HoF logs. While I am always a little curious to the functionality of things, I have never bothered to figure out exactly how they detect cheating. The only thing that would make me care enough is if 1) a perfectly legit save of mine was rejected (hasn't happened yet, doubtful it will) or 2) someone else submits a winning save that is highly suspect (haven't seen it yet, unless you count my wonder at people's patience to take 50 hours on one game :rolleyes:, although that isn't cheating heh).

Except for that they don't, due to events and in some cases huts.

Not sure I understand what you mean, english isn't my first language.. Anyway my point was that everybody has the same start (and only the start). Of course every game will be different, and even if you turn barbs off, huts off and RE events off and play the same start exactly the same way, there will be differences between the games due to the RNG.
And I said that I prefer XOTM over gauntlets, I didn't say it was perfect, I'm perfectly aware of the random elements, but I don't see any way to remove them without ruining the game :)

Well, I can say why I don't play for HoF: I simply don't care for high score and/or early wins ( I think both of them pretty poor standarts of how well you played, how dificult was the game or how fun was it. It also fits very poorly IMHO to pursue those in a game that has the advertized goal of "building a civilization that stands the test of time" ( if you dust off your Civ IV box, you'll see it :p ) ). That makes most of my saves pretty laughable for HoF standarts ( I think I never had a 150 k score, for a example )

Can you have pure-art / diversity mods under HoF ?

Personally i have strong convictions against HoF... I don't like other peoples telling me how to play the game - even tho i fully believe the developers of the HoF mod did concider the options carefully and do have good reasons - in the context of the Mod's purpose... Which is clearly competition - hence, what's the point submitting mediocre games anyway ?
And lastly - as already mentioned by R_Rolo and maybe others - the Civ scoring system is broken by design.

The Hall of fame should be called the hall of Inca. The vast majority of games there were played with incans on marathon speed. Can you say queacha rush forever? Things like that really make it kind of boring unless you want to Inca rush forever and ever. The top score for duel size conquest was 11 turns with Incans. Honestly the HoF is a waste of time.

Top Bottom