Why Are you still playing Civ III?

Why are you playing Civ 3?

• Technical requirement for Civ IV were too high for me

Votes: 53 27.0%
  • Didn't want to pay for a new version

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Bought Civ 4 but perfer the style of Civ III.

Votes: 81 41.3%
  • Still have happy with the CIV III. Why change?

Votes: 38 19.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 9.7%

• Total voters
I play both.

I play PBEM Civ3 (Conquests) because the friends I play with haven't all got Civ4.

Single player, I switch back and forth after each game.

There are aspects of each that I like and aspects that I dislike, but Civ (whatever flavour) is still the best game that there is...

The game mechanics aren't transparent enough in civ4. I want to know exactly what the effects of a new building or city has.
Also, the graphics are unbelievably cluttered. An enemy unit can walk right into your land and attack before you see it, because it's donged in some 3d camouflage toy suit.
Moreover, civ4 lacks the epic feel since everything happens so fast.
The religion thing doesn't work out well, adding nothing in terms of gameplay decisions but makes for yet another mandatory got-to-move-without-thinking unit.
The designers probably aren't real strategy gamers. The whole game smells RTS. Like the dumbass idea of having resources marked with irritating roadsigns or adding clouds so you can't play with a good overview of things. They should have incorporated ideas from Europa Universalis instead.

They're both very good games. I have both Civ 4 and Warlords, but find myself going back to Civ 3 from time to time when I want a change of venue. I actually once thought about making a special mod for Civ 3 based on Civ 4's rules, just for fun...

The religion thing doesn't work out well, adding nothing in terms of gameplay decisions but makes for yet another mandatory got-to-move-without-thinking unit.
The designers probably aren't real strategy gamers. The whole game smells RTS. Like the dumbass idea of having resources marked with irritating roadsigns or adding clouds so you can't play with a good overview of things. They should have incorporated ideas from Europa Universalis instead.

Despite all its shortcomings, the strategic depth of Civ4 is greater than Civ3. This does make the game more difficult.
You may not enjoy Civ4, that's your opinion, but I think your statements about the strategic aspects of Civ4 are factually wrong!

One dimensional war fair doesn't pay of like it does in civ3, city improvements take a more important role, as does diplomacy, (you need to choose your friends and foes carefully, and diplomatic considerations can compromise other things for you) tile improvements need to be chosen with more care, (you can's just simply road everything for commerce, and balance mines and irrigation to get exactly the city size you need for max production)

Civ4 is cool, but nothing compared with civ3.

Maybe against AI is better, but civ3 is better in MP. Especially future - C3C future start(online) beats whole civ4(all scenarios, mp or not) - will be hard to firaxis to make anything like it, so i'll prob still playing civ3.

When Civ 4 came out I was really dissapointed but I was determined to try and play and give it a second chance, I really had to struggle to put the effort in to play it always hoping that it would click and I would suddenly love it like Civ 3. Unfortunately that day never came, I uninstalled it and its now confined to a shelf for the rest of its days.

As many have said here, as much as they played on the 1 more turn factor in the marketing of Civ4 it has never had that same feel as Civ 3 therefore I will just continue to play Civ 3 Conquests. As someone has said here the possibilities of having great fun with Civ 3 are virtually endless.

Cheers

Once I bought Civ 4, I was hooked. The reason I was is because at that time, I was still having problems understanding Civ 3!! Eventually (I would play Civ 3, still) I began to understand Civ 3 more and more, yet my knowledge of Civ 4 was still being developed. Now, I play Civ 4 sparingly, and Civ 3 Conquests a bunch!

Back after two years, woohoo!!! This game kept me sane during my time in Africa, I owe this game 100% loyalty. Besides, I'm not interested in new games anymore and spending money to upgrade just to spend money to buy and play the game, I'm tired of that now.

Top Bottom